What's new

What happened to taking your hat off inside?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It's just tradition and recognized etiquette. Nothing to get riled up about.
Yes of course we no longer remove our helmets as a sign of subservience to our feudal lord. But to say that one shouldn't remove their hat indoors because it originated in removing ones hemlet is a bit silly.
Everything we do originated somewhere, and much of what we do is for no good reason except that it is recognized as being good manners.
I don't believe that saying "God Bless You" when someone sneezes is actually preventing the devil from jumping into their body. I do it because it is recognized as being good manners.
I say "Yes Sir" and "Yes Ma'am" not because I fear getting in trouble with the Sire or the wife of the Sire of the Barony where I live, I do it because it is recognized as good manners.
When I meet someone, I shake their hand, not because I want to make sure that he is not secretly holding a weapon, but because it is recognized as good manners.
"Please", "Thank You", and "You're Welcome" or "My Pleasure" have similar roots, and likewise have similar use today of only being recognized as common decency and manners.

So yes, taking off your hat indoors is indeed rooted in a long forgotten and unnecessary ritual which is no longer valid. But we don't do it because it is rooted in some ancient and discarded ritual, we do it as a means of displaying proper courtesy and manners.

If this were not so, then no one in this thread would care at all that people sometimes fail to do it.

Is it mandatory? Of course not.
You can go your entire life if you wish ignoring the common and accepted displays of courtesy and manners without ever suffering a single consequence other than what some may think of you.
Whether or not what someone thinks of you is important is up to each of us, and I dare say, varies depending upon the specific situation.

Last edited:
I think gentlemen remove their hats when entering another's home. I also think gentlemen let the trespasses of others go "unnoticed," or at least without remark until they are out of earshot.

+1 to what Phil said.
I think gentlemen remove their hats when entering another's home. I also think gentlemen let the trespasses of others go "unnoticed," or at least without remark until they are out of earshot.

Yes unnoticed, but also noticed.
Hats I don't mind so much but if I give you a good whisky and you want to adulterate it there may be at least a raised eyebrow.
And if I give you a cup of tea and I don't see the pinkie raised just so... Well we may even have to have words about the way things are done around these parts.

Could we please try to live in modern days instead of 50 years ago? In modern days, we don't get offended by someone wearing a cap, we concentrate on real society problems. If you want to show respect, start by removing your shoes when you're in someone elses house(It mean way more than 1000 removed hat).

Last edited:
Removing shoes isn't part of my culture/societal norm. But if I visit the home of friends where I know that's part of their culture and it therefore expected, my hat and my shoes come off. Nine times of out ten, though, if you were to ask these friends, "shall I remove my shoes," the answer will be, "if you're more comfortable that way."

I don't get "offended" by these things. I know it's not personal. Nor do they.

It's not about culture, it's for sanitary purpose. Think about it, shoes steps on dog ****, sputum, excrements of verious origins, cigarettes... do you really want to leave particles of this gunk over your floor? Where you walk barefoot?

Hats? They don't get stained and they don't stain anything. The end.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Ah Edinburgh castle. I pulled many guard duties there in the early eighties while in the Army. We were young the tourists were pretty. When we brought them inside the castle at night more than hats came off. Such disrespect. Oh well. :w00t:

Are you saying you pulled more than guard duty? Be sure to wear a hat!!

I simply avoid wearing a hat when at all possible. I am lucky enough to have a full head of hair, so there is nothing to hide, and I am not the kind of person who looks better while wearing a hat.

While in the Army, I was required to wear a hat outdoors at all times, and to always remove my hat when coming indoors. On those few occasions in which I wear a hat, removing it indoors is more an ingrained habit than an act of politeness or good manners. But I am peeved a bit when others don't remove their hats when coming indoors.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Some people will argue about anything.... forever.

There's a little trick I have found to be very helpful.

Step 1. Open a view of listed threads (either by clicking the subforum or by clicking "new posts"

Step 2. Identify a particular thread that you may not find interesting;

$2016-07-13_10-45-13.jpg

Step 3. Do not click on that thread title, as doing so will open that thread up in your browser.

There's a little trick I have found to be very helpful.

Step 1. Open a view of listed threads (either by clicking the subforum or by clicking "new posts"

Step 2. Identify a particular thread that you may not find interesting;

View attachment 673075

Step 3. Do not click on that thread title, as doing so will open that thread up in your browser.

Why shouldn't I open a thread and then comment. You are a bit too smarmy and so are your sycophants.

Oh.. I need to add a qualifier... Ya gotta keep a sense of humor about this stuff, or you'll go nuts. :001_rolle

I wear a fedora almost everywhere. When I am indoors, I will remove it if there is anyplace I can safely leave it. As someone mentioned earlier, a ball cap or a beret can just be sat on or shoved in a pocket -- not so with a shaped hat like a fedora. Another time I will remove my hat is during any prayer or playing of a national anthem -- I do this out of respect, although I'm neither patriotic nor religious. I respect other people's religious beliefs, but only in the same way, and to the same degree that I respect their belief that their spouse is the best looking and that their kids are the smartest.

As far as NOT removing a hat in someone's home being insulting, I just don't get it -- because it implies that I don't trust their roof to keep the rain and sun off my head? Why should it matter if a hat stays on while eating? When (and why) was it decided that removal was the only proper behavior? Also, there is a difference between doffing or tipping one's hat, and removing it altogether. I find tipping my hat (or just touching the brim) to be a useful, non-verbal communication -- the equivalent of saying "Hi".

In western culture, many people will give a hearty thumbs up :thumbup1: as a friendly gesture. However, there are many parts of the world where this is the rudest gesture you could make! Maybe there exists a culture that expresses love, happiness, and joy by extending the middle finger -- if so, I wish them much love, happiness, and joy!

I think the world would be better off without these kinds of cultural booby traps.
My 2¢

Cap comes off at dinner at home, dinner at someone else's home, and sit down restaurants.

If my cap made it out of the car on Sunday morning or a funeral it'd all be over but the crying.

Other than that, prayer, the national anthem, at other's request, and exactly when I feel like it is the only times my hat comes off

Top Bottom