What's new

What does one think about Acqua di Parma?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I just got a bottle of AdP, as it had been on my 'to get eventually' list for some time now, and I've got to say it's a great scent.

Perfect for summer!

Why I didn't try this one a lot earlier is beyond me, but hey, I'm on the bandwagon now ...

I agree. AdP is one of my favorite scents. I've heard it said (maybe here on B&B) that Acqua di Parma is one of the few scents that every man should own at least once in his life.

I think its a very old man type of cologne, anytime ive tried it im told that I smell like a grandfather that thinks he can pick up teenage girls. Being only 23 I find that depressing. If youre gonna buy it only use it to spray on your kerchief and keep in your back pocket for use throughout the day.

I ordered Colonia as a blind buy and while I do like it after visiting Saks I realized I much prefer Intenso. I'm in the minority but I found it lasted much longer and definately seemed to have an updated feel to it that appealed to me.

ADP Colonia is one of my most worn scents. I simply can't get enough of the stuff. Refined classy and beautiful

I just researched this over at basenotes, and apparently Intensa and Assoluta are different formulations from the classic Colonia with Intensa being the most modern and the biggest departure .

I just researched this over at basenotes, and apparently Intensa and Assoluta are different formulations from the classic Colonia with Intensa being the most modern and the biggest departure .

Classic colonia has most class IMHO. Timeless elegance. European, really. :tongue:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I just got a bottle of AdP, as it had been on my 'to get eventually' list for some time now, and I've got to say it's a great scent.

Perfect for summer!

Why I didn't try this one a lot earlier is beyond me, but hey, I'm on the bandwagon now ...

I got the original Colonia

+1 on the comments about the classy packaging.

Groupthink really is an interesting phenomenon. YMMV, and all that.

I bought a bottle, and really really want to like it. Yet, each time I spray it on, I'm majorly disappointed. I don't know what's more sad: (a) that I smell like a musty musky drydown that I really dislike or (b) that I wasted a day and bypassed an opportunity to wear a cologne I actually enjoy smelling.

I'm not a fan of the Colonia Intensa.

From most of the research I've done at basenotes regarding citric fragrances, they fade quickly due to their chemical composition. Attempts to make a more enduring version requires adding heavier, longer lasting ingredients, which takes away some of the the light, citric aspect of the original. Intensa and Assoluta both last longer than Colonia, but lack its freshness.

Groupthink really is an interesting phenomenon. YMMV, and all that.

I bought a bottle, and really really want to like it. Yet, each time I spray it on, I'm majorly disappointed. I don't know what's more sad: (a) that I smell like a musty musky drydown that I really dislike or (b) that I wasted a day and bypassed an opportunity to wear a cologne I actually enjoy smelling.
I certainly don't get "musty musky drydown" from AdP Colonia at all. No "dark" notes at all in fact, primarily lemons and roses. If you're comfortable with its provenance, then as you said, YMMV. Otherwise, I would be suspicious of what you've got.

I'm not a fan of the Colonia Intensa.

From most of the research I've done at basenotes regarding citric fragrances, they fade quickly due to their chemical composition. Attempts to make a more enduring version requires adding heavier, longer lasting ingredients, which takes away some of the the light, citric aspect of the original. Intensa and Assoluta both last longer than Colonia, but lack its freshness.
I "like", don't "love" the Intensa. I see no link to the Original, or even the Assoluta. It's a horse of a different color, and maybe not even a horse. I have put mine away until the fall, while I am just taking out the other two.

I got a couple of small sample bottles of ADP. Now i just gotta save for a
100Ml bottle. Another thing on the ever growing list :biggrin:

Swiftsteel

I recently picked up another 180ml splash bottle of AdP Colonia. As others have posted above, it's a wonderful, classy scent. It's hard to imagine anyone being offended by its understated elegance. I keep a decant at the office for an occasional mid-day reapplication....it does wear off after 4-6 hours. To me, it's almost an aftershave in terms of its strength and longevity. Great stuff.

I signed in just now to start a thread about colognes that started iffy and then became favorites. AdP Colonia is hands-down that fragrance for me.

I bought AdP Colonia blind because of all the fantastic reviews I read. When I first tried it, I thought I had made a $64 mistake. The Bulgarian rose was much more prominent than I expected, and I thought it was too soft and floral for a man's fragrance. It even struck me as something I might have smelled on my grandmother's handkerchief as a kid (AdP is unisex, so maybe I did). When the top note softened into the powdery middle note, I was more intrigued but still thought it wouldn't work. But by the end of the day, it started growing on me enough that I wanted to give it a another try. I tried it a few days later and still thought it was too feminine and not the way I wanted to express myself. I knew it was a warm weather fragrance and was out of place in February, but I didn't see the weather making that much of a difference. I put it on eBay, but got no bids. I tried it again on the first warm day of the year, and the impression I got was much better. I could smell the citrus more, and the Bulgarian rose seemed more refined and classy. Like an Italian gent, it was at once flowery, zesty, warm, passionate, exquisitely tailored, and rooted in complex tradition. Unlike most of my other fragrances, it never has anything less than a fantastic day. One spray lasts all day on me, and it's consistent throughout the day. I could live with it being my only warm weather fragrance, but that wouldn't work in some places I go. For the pool hall, for instance, I'd go with a more typical scent like sandalwood or Spanish leather.

As a secondary note, the bottle is as classy as its contents. The atomizer is the best I've used.

Like all of my sprays, I apply it by spraying it a few inches in front of my bare chest and immediately stepping into the mist. I once read that this method is especially good for men with chest hair, because the hair absorbs the fragrance and releases it more slowly and evenly. It should work just as well with arm hair. If you're having trouble with your fragrances not lasting, try this method.

Top Bottom