What's new

What do you think of my DE blade samples?

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
I bought these samples and haven't tried any yet. I currently use Astra SP blades in my Gillette Tech, Fatboy, Merkur 34C or Game Changer .68-P and like them pretty well. I have a moderate beard (not heavy) and I'm retired so I only shave every other day. I have oily skin but doesn't seem too sensitive.

Are any of these dud's or any caveates I should be aware of before using them?

20221012_202051.jpg

I bought these samples and haven't tried any yet. I currently use Astra SP blades in my Gillette Tech, Fatboy, Merkur 34C or Game Changer .68-P and like them pretty well. I have a moderate beard (not heavy) and I'm retired so I only shave every other day. I have oily skin but doesn't seem too sensitive.

Are any of these dud's or any caveates I should be aware of before using them?

View attachment 1538286
The question is, what do you think of them? Never take anyone's advice on blades. No one knows your other gear, beard, prep, technique/ability, etc. Even if you post that you use this razor and that soap, etc., you simply have to try blades and see what works for you. Personally, I find very little difference between them but Feathers and Bic Chrome seem to work very well for me in most of my razors. I have four of the brands you're trying (Derby Extra, German Wikinson, Silver Blue, and Astras) and they all work equally well for me.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Astra SS, GSB, and Derby Premium for the win on my incredibly handsome face!

I am pretty sure I could get a good shave with all but the Dorco and Derby Extra in the green package.

I am certain that those two would hurt me, at least they always have.

But as @CCS mentioned, the ONLY way to know is to try them on your own incredibly handsome face.

lasta

Blade Biter
GSB's are great, I'd go as far as to say they are my grail in terms of blades.

Haven't tried Rubies before, look forward to hearing of your opinion.

As for the rest, I'm glad we live in an age of abundance! Every once in a while I'd pop in a second rate pleb to remind me that there is a difference in blades.

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
The question is, what do you think of them? Never take anyone's advice on blades. No one knows your other gear, beard, prep, technique/ability, etc. Even if you post that you use this razor and that soap, etc., you simply have to try blades and see what works for you. Personally, I find very little difference between them but Feathers and Bic Chrome seem to work very well for me in most of my razors. I have four of the brands you're trying (Derby Extra, German Wikinson, Silver Blue, and Astras) and they all work equally well for me.

True. That's why I bought them in the first place, so I could experiment and see which ones work best for me. Thanks for your input @CCS

The only blade in that group that worked for me is the Silver Blue. I had to do a lot of testing to settle on my go to blade which is the Gillette NACET. Having said that, what works for me may not work for someone else. You will need to just test and see what is right for you. You might have to branch out a bit from this group since most of the others are what I would consider lower end/ duller blades in my opinion.

Top Bottom