What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: Aristocrat 1948-1950
Blade: Wilkinson Sword 'The Blade' (6)
Brush: AP Shave Co.
Soap: Mogno shaving cream
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer/Osage Rub

Excellent! 9.6
IMG_3669(1).JPG

20231210_092240.jpg

Razor: Ever-Ready 1914 "Little Lather Catcher"
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Ever-Ready 250 Pure Badger Cased
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream
Lather: Spearhead Shaving Seaforth Black Watch
Aftershave: Seaforth! Black Watch Aftershave Toner
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Nivea Post Shave Balm
Ten

Head Shave
Pre Shave: Warm water + Proraso Pre Shave Cream
Razor: Henson AL13 Aggressive
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (1,2,3) + touch ups
Shaving Cream: TOBS Sandalwood Shaving Cream
Brush: Gentleman’s Face Care Club Badger Friendly Shave Brush
Bowl: ASDA bowl
Post Shave: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
Rate: 8/10
23 days growth
1st time using the Henson AL13 Aggressive - cut myself (which was expected with one or two slight spots/bumps forming recently).
I had a few weeks growth so it took care of that easy enough but quite a bit of irritation.
A good shave but not the best but i take that down to my middling technique and a new razor bedding in factor.

Face Shave
Pre Shave: Warm water + Proraso Pre Shave Cream
Razor: Henson AL13 Aggressive
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (4,5,6) + touch ups
Shaving Cream: TOBS Sandalwood Shaving Cream
Brush: Gentleman’s Face Care Club Badger Friendly Shave Brush
Bowl: ASDA bowl
Post Shave: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
Rate: 8/10
23 days growth
A strange shave with my new Henson AL13 Aggressive (1st time).
I had the usual 3 passes 1 WTG 1 ATG 1 XTG but i cut myself a couple of times (again i expected i would).
The shave ended up being a decent DFS with some rough areas under the chin/neck area to buff up.
I have quite a bit irritation as well but that will be 98% technique 1% blade 1% razor fault i am guessing.
It will take a little time to find the right razor blade combination but i have plenty of blades to choose from.
The Henson Mild & Aggressive will be my sole razors from now on.
As always the journey is half the fun never know how it will end until it does.
Overall very happy with my new Henson

IMG_20240506_164824.jpg

IMG_20240506_164754.jpg

Last edited:
Monday’s shave…..
Gillette USA pre war Tech
KAI blade
Omega 10108 boar
arko!
IMG_7079.jpeg

A real sweet spot razor for me and great with the KAI blade. Close and yet virtually zero irritation. I’m sticking with it for a while to really get my technique dialled in.
2 passes….WTG and ATG and some extra jaw strokes got me a super fine shave. Arko! lather is fantastic too. Classic.
Full marks 10/10….12 hours in and still feels good. Post shave was squeaky glass smooth.

full

Razor: Gillette Slim 1962
Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum
Brush: AP ShaveCo Blue Lagoon G5B knot
Bowl: NA, Face lather
Soap: Proraso Blue Protettivo

Pre shave: Hot shower
Aftershave: Pinaud Citrus Musk 🍊

---
Rapid fire quick- "gotta go" shave turned out just fine

---
2 pass shave, WTG, XTG
Rating: 9/10 DFS

Preshave: Hot shower
Soap/Shave cream: Stirling Soap Haverford
Brush: Jequil & Corenveo 24mm
Razor: Razorock Game Changer 68-P
Blade: Gillette Perma-Sharp (3)
Post shave: Pinaud Clubman
Rating: 10/10

Yet another incredibly good shave. The Game Changer and Perma-Sharp combination is deadly to stubble. :laugh:
When I first picked up the Haverford soap sample from Stirling, I wasn't sure I liked it. Now I find it delightful.

proxy.php
Glad you like it! I picked it up recently and was completely turned off by the smell, so much that I haven't been able to bring myself to try it. It reminds me of old-school tobacco e-cigarette juice! To make matters worse, I accidentally bought the whole tub instead of a sample. Does the scent change when you lather it?

Welp, the Ti .95SB base plate arrived and I gave it a spin. Exactly what the doctor ordered! I need to give it some more shaves obviously, but it's much more to my liking than either the .68SB or OC. I will likely be putting those plates up on BST in the near future. Easy 10/10 shave.

Pre: Burt's Face Wash and Stirling Unscented Pre-Shave Soap Bar
Razor: Timeless Ti .95SB with Crown handle
Blade: Wizamet SI (1)
Soap: Cella Bio
Brush: PAA Amber Aerolite 24 Synthetic
Bowl: Timeless
Post-Shave: Cella Bio AS and Balm

Evening, last night's shave:

Razor: Razorock Lupo Aluminum
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless (3)
Pre: Hot Water
Soap: Razorock WTP Blue
Brush: Omega Boar Pro
Aftershave: Aqua Velva

This razor / blade combo is fantastic. Soap performance is unreal given that it costs so little.

10/10

Cheers

Pre Shave: Wash face with warm water.
Razor: Razorock Mamba 70.
Blade: Gillette Nacet, shave #3.
Soap/Cream: Stirling Boat Drinks shave soap.
Lather Method: Bowl lather.
Brush: Grizzly Bay (Le Feu D'or), 26mm with G5C knot.
Post Shave: Rinse with warm water, Stirling Boat Drinks post shave balm.
Rating: 9.0/10.

Razorock Mamba was eager and ready to get to business with the Gillette Nacet for shave #3. The Grizzly Bay (Le Feu D'or), 26mm with G5C knot was the choice for today's shave along with a brand new soap acquisition, Stirling's Boat Drinks shave soap. WHAT A SCENT! Not sure how to explain just how neat, fun, summery a scent this is. The scent profile on Stirling's website says "This scent is a delicious blend of Banana, Coconut, Rum, Frangipani, and Tangerine." It is most definitely fruity (in an amazing way), but also smells like bubblegum - Juicy Fruit. Something about this soap is simply awesome, delicious! I went with a bowl lather due to my experience with the G5C simply not being a good face lathering knot. The G5C It just does not perform the way a boar or badger knot can, but in a texture bottomed bowl, it performs just fine. A small scoop of soap was smeared in the bottom of my bowl and allowed to bloom for a few minutes prior to working up a lather. I grabbed Le Feu D'or and began the lather building process, adding water as needed and ended up with a thick, creamy, yogurt consistency lather. I then worked the foamy goodness into my face, enjoying the wonderful scent the entire time, just smells incredible. With the application of the lather complete, I cleared the sideburns and began the first pass, going with the grain. I definitely noticed one thing with the Nacet, three shaves on the same blade edge just doesn't work for me regardless of how slick and cushiony the soap is, and this soap is SLICK! The Nacet will be reduced to a two shave blade. I lathered up once again, and the second pass was XTG. I rinsed off the remaining soap and applied Stirling's Boat Drinks post shave balm. What an outstanding compliment to the soap! This post shave balm rates as a 10/10 for multiple reasons. Scent is incredible. Super hydrating. Most importantly, non greasy. Thank you Stirling for yet another set of outstanding products!

06-May-2024 002.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you like it! I picked it up recently and was completely turned off by the smell, so much that I haven't been able to bring myself to try it. It reminds me of old-school tobacco e-cigarette juice! To make matters worse, I accidentally bought the whole tub instead of a sample. Does the scent change when you lather it?
I think it changes slightly but don't quote me on that. I know it has vanilla in it and I do like vanilla. I wasn't crazy about Haverford at first but it's grown on me.
Now there are a couple of Stirling samples I've purchased that I really don't like; in particular Stirling Gentleman and Baker Street, which I know some people consider among their favorites. It just goes to show that we all have different tastes and likes.

Pre Shave: Wash face with warm water.
Razor: Razorock Mamba 70.
Blade: Gillette Nacet, shave #3.
Soap/Cream: Stirling Boat Drinks shave soap.
Lather Method: Bowl lather.
Brush: Grizzly Bay (Le Feu D'or), 26mm with G5C knot.
Post Shave: Rinse with warm water, Stirling Boat Drinks post shave balm.
Rating: 9.0/10.

Razorock Mamba was eager and ready to get to business with the Gillette Nacet for shave #3. The Grizzly Bay (Le Feu D'or), 26mm with G5C knot was the choice for today's shave along with a brand new soap acquisition, Stirling's Boat Drinks shave soap. WHAT A SCENT! Not sure how to explain just how neat, fun, summery a scent this is. The scent profile on Stirling's website says "This scent is a delicious blend of Banana, Coconut, Rum, Frangipani, and Tangerine." It is most definitely fruity (in an amazing way), but also smells like bubblegum - Juicy Fruit. Something about this soap is simply awesome, delicious! I went with a bowl lather due to my experience with the G5C simply not being a good face lathering knot. The G5C It just does not perform the way a boar or badger knot can, but in a texture bottomed bowl, it performs just fine. A small scoop of soap was smeared in the bottom of my bowl and allowed to bloom for a few minutes prior to working up a lather. I grabbed Le Feu D'or and began the lather building process, adding water as needed and ended up with a thick, creamy, yogurt consistency lather. I then worked the foamy goodness into my face, enjoying the wonderful scent the entire time, just smells incredible. With the application of the lather complete, I cleared the sideburns and began the first pass, going with the grain. I definitely noticed one thing with the Nacet, three shaves on the same blade edge just doesn't work for me regardless of how slick and cushiony the soap is, and this soap is SLICK! The Nacet will be reduced to a two shave blade. I lathered up once again, and the second pass was XTG. I rinsed off the remaining soap and applied Stirling's Boat Drinks post shave balm. What an outstanding compliment to the soap! This post shave balm rates as a 10/10 for multiple reasons. Scent is incredible. Super hydrating. Most importantly, non greasy. Thank you Stirling for yet another set of outstanding products!

View attachment 1841976
It's fun to hear you talk about Boat Drinks. That is one of my absolute favorite soaps! I'm crazy about it, bananas ya might say

Pre: Shower
Brush: RazoRock Synthetic
Razor: Vintage Motor Solingen Straight
Soap: PAA Phoenix Lights
Toner: Thayer‘s - Unscented
Splash: None Today
Serum: Jack Black Protein Serum
Balm: Zingari Man Aftershave Balm - Unscented
EDP: None Today

3 Passes
No Knicks, Cuts, Irritation

Shave Rating: 9.5

IMG_3176.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Monday 20240506
20240505_170829~3.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB (Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (6 shaves, 12 passes)
Brush: Rudy Vey 2022 B&B Contributors Brush (Mühle 25mm STF)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Taconic Shave Bay Rum Cream
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum

Used the same kit from 5/5 again today! This kit provides an exceptionally comfortable and satisfying shaving experience with superb top tier results in all respects! :001_wub:

Superb shave!

Top Bottom