What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Preshave: Glycerine Facewash with warm water splashes
Razor : Feather Artist Club SR Folding
Blade : Feather Super Professional (D14)
Brush : Custom Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip Badger
Soap : MdC Rose
Aftershave : Alum Block + Cold water splashes + D R Harris Arlington AS Lotion

Rating : 9.54/10
Very Close and comfortable BBS ! :001_wub: :straight:
feather-artist-SR.jpgfeather_pro_super11.jpg

Sat 1st
Soap & Aftershave Barrister & Mann The Full Measure of Man
Brush Yaqi 26mm Moka Express 2 Band Badger
Razor Titan ACRM-2 Madagascan Mahogany Timber Scales
Rich, creamy, and slick lather from this soap. The scent is usually strong but my olfactory sense is 100% muted...dang!
This razor with an initial cnat edge was put through the HBA and the roo leather. The shave was at an acceptable level of smoothness and comfort but I prefer a crispier keener edge. Will continue to work on the edge with the HBA without going through the diamond balsa. The result for today's shave was dfs-sas...Rating 9.3
20230401_122802.jpg

1951 40s-style Super Speed
Perma-Sharp (3)
MdC Nature
RazoRock Plissoft 24mm synthetic
Aveeno lotion
Proraso Azur Lime cologne

2 passes WTG / 2 passes XTG / extensive touch-up
DFS
7/10

My very first vintage shave is in the books. 🎉

It went...okay. Good result in the end but on the verge of over-shaving to get there.

The '51 and I got along well but we haven't quite figured out how to dance.

I'm a cold water shaver which has done wonders for my skin but does make the whiskers more resistant to cutting.

As a result, things can go pear-shaped if I'm having trouble locating the angle. That was the case tonight unfortunately.

In the end, I just about did enough to get away without significant irritation but it's very clear that more practice will be needed.

Perhaps the best way to summarize would be...I am impressed with this razor but it is not impressed with me. I fear it has more than a thing or two to teach me about angle of attack.

More positively, the Perma-Sharp continues to treat me well and has rather quickly established itself as a go-to in my den. Now to work out how to stop using it so I can get to the rest of my sample pack. 😝

Saturday, 01 April 2023 SOTD
Finally deep-sixed the Derby blade after eleven days. Nacet stainless in situ now, great close shave using the PAA CK-6 formulation. Went for three passes this morning, two would have been enough but hey, let’s get wild, it’s Saturday, 0400 in the morning. Any bloodshed would have been a thing of the past by the time the family gets up! Anyways, Great shave, lots of Alum feedback but no irritation. Overall easily a 9.21/10…ha!! April fools, it’s actually 9.31/10 Bwahahaha
Soap/Splash: PAA Albion of the North
Razor/Blade: Rockwell/Nacet new
Post Shave: Osma/Nivea
Tunes: Buddy Guy, First time I met the blues.
Happy Saturday folks, may your cornucopia be full of awesomeness.
5E2E43F2-709F-4E0F-AA26-114495D94C29.jpeg

Date01.04.2023
365 daily shaves |
GRUYERE
91/365 (100%)
GRUME April |
Soap of the Month Club(SOTMC) |
Vintage April
01/30 (100%)

RazorBladeBrush
Flat Bottom Tech w/ Lasta BluePersonna Blue (1)Simpson T3
SoapPasses
(3:here and 2.5: here)
Pre- & Post-shave
TGS Inferno

2.5​
Cold splash
Floïd

Efficiency (scoring details here)Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)8.5/10 (minor weepers)
EffectivenessComfort
7/10 (DFS)8/10 (comfortable)

Notes to today’s shave:

First use of the Personna Blue which @Jack Goossen included in a package last year. All in all a nice first encounter.

Great start to the weekend!

Further details to this shave and more can be found in my journal here.

Enjoy your shave!

Saturday morning. One of those things that I didn't know existed before seeing them on these pages, and an almost instantaneous jump from blissful ignorance (which some have reasonably pointed out is my default position) to "Right. Having one."

Razorine Flatboy + Astra SP
Epsilon black handle brown horse brush
Tabac soap
Denim "Original" aftershave

I've had the original Razorine for a while now (brass, non-knurled handle, DE type safety bar head with a shavette configuration and technique) - this is close to what would happen if someone had sawed off the original handle and replaced the head nut with a stainless steel handle. It's a thing of beauty - Italian made from solid brass and stainless steel.

Screenshot from 2023-04-01 10-04-40.png

Same flat blade position as the "shavette" style one (if it's not the same head, I can't spot the difference), but a very different feel with the classic "T" shape DE design. The flat blade makes for a very noisy razor and a less rigid feel to the edge, but that's part of the charm.

The Epsilon is a great brush, and the first time I've gone "fan" rather than "bulb". Works better than I thought it would, though it's hard to go wrong with Tabac. Current production Denim Original rounds off the smells well, while still throwing on a bucket of Eighties nostalgia.

Maybe I'm mellowing with age, but after another rub of the face I'm going to pitch it as a "10".

Razor: Gillette single ring (from 1917)
Blade: Personna platinum
Brush: Simpson Colonel
Soap: Tobs Mr Taylors
AS: Tobs Mr Taylors balm

I was suffering the worst flue almost all week long but today got enough strength to do a shaving. Almost grab one of my solid bars but the last moment it occured to me to reach for my great grandad's open comb gillette. This beauty is over 100 years old but shaves like new.

Rating: 10/10

IMG20230401123200.jpg

@Kaldane - did you shave steel or shallow? As in shaves as you would have with the original Razorine?

I am usually more steep, but I am struggling to find the Flatboy’s best angle for me.

Thanks,

Guido

Good question - and you've just told me why it feels more different than I'd expected compared to the shavette style one.

I'll usually go in from steep on this one and off the cap with the other.

Shavette shave #1

Feather Artist Club Clone, Folding
Feather ProGuard (1)
Yaqi 30mm Tuxedo
ARKO
PAA Classico Bay Rum

No idea what I’m doing! Thanks @gpjoe for the PIF, I had fun.

Due to shoulder damage I’m a dominant hand only shaver and some of the stretching is going to be a challenge.

Challenge accepted!

Couldn’t get the stretching right for a sideburns/cheeks WTG so I started XTG there on the first pass. Cheek puffing really works well.

One small weeper on jaw to neck transition on the WTG pass. Totally my fault I didn’t control the angle.

Finished face & neck with an uneventful ATG pass.

Initial thoughts: this is cool! It’s going to take a while to figure out grips, razor positioning, and stretching.

No razor burn…the Bay Rum tells no lies and just the small weeper that I knew I did right away when I lost my angle control.

A successful DFS shave. 8/10 I’ve got a lot to learn.
F1D288C1-8774-471D-9AD8-EC4EED924D8A.jpeg

Razor: Gillette single ring (from 1917)
Blade: Personna platinum
Brush: Simpson Colonel
Soap: Tobs Mr Taylors
AS: Tobs Mr Taylors balm

I was suffering the worst flue almost all week long but today got enough strength to do a shaving. Almost grab one of my solid bars but the last moment it occured to me to reach for my great grandad's open comb gillette. This beauty is over 100 years old but shaves like new.

Rating: 10/10

View attachment 1630490
Glad you’re starting to feel better. What an awesome razor a true family heirloom.

RUME

GRUME April – Day 01
Bobby B’s Daily Shave Report
01 April 2023

1680348933934.jpeg
PERMANENT SHAVE GEAR
  • Prep: Cube 2.0 Menthol using cold rain water and Van der Hagen brush
  • Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum Blade #10 of 100 Shave #2
  • Razor: King C. Gillette
  • Soap: Noble Otter Lonestar BarrBarr using nuked rain water
  • Brush: Noble Otter for lathering
  • Bowls: Pet food stand
  • A/S: Noble Otter BarrBarr
Passes: WTG, ATG, buffing as required
Cleanup: Rinsed & dried face, Gentleman Jack alum block, Witch Hazel, A/S.
Rating and Comments: 10.0 / BBS After a 10-minute Cube 2.0 soak-in prep, this morning’s shave yielded, no nicks, weepers, with only token stubble to buff off. Getting ready to run several errands the LOTH an our son.

Shavette shave #1

Feather Artist Club Clone, Folding
Feather ProGuard (1)
Yaqi 30mm Tuxedo
ARKO
PAA Classico Bay Rum

No idea what I’m doing! Thanks @gpjoe for the PIF, I had fun.

Due to shoulder damage I’m a dominant hand only shaver and some of the stretching is going to be a challenge.

Challenge accepted!

Couldn’t get the stretching right for a sideburns/cheeks WTG so I started XTG there on the first pass. Cheek puffing really works well.

One small weeper on jaw to neck transition on the WTG pass. Totally my fault I didn’t control the angle.

Finished face & neck with an uneventful ATG pass.

Initial thoughts: this is cool! It’s going to take a while to figure out grips, razor positioning, and stretching.

No razor burn…the Bay Rum tells no lies and just the small weeper that I knew I did right away when I lost my angle control.

A successful DFS shave. 8/10 I’ve got a lot to learn.
View attachment 1630515

My only problem is losing focus, which can lead to bad things happening. I suppose that just as when new to DE, a bit of experience goes a long way.

So far, 8ve been pretty lucky with the Feather, but have had a couple of mishaps with my Turkish razor which is far less forgiving.

Shave of Day.jpg

Pre-Shave
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Face Soap
Soap/Cream
Martin de Candre
Brush
Kent BK 8 Silvertip
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Feather AS-D2
Blade
Feather
Aftershave
Thayers WH & PAA Mysterium Serum
Fragrance
Yves Saint Laurent
Rating
10/10
Comments
This is the third shave with the Feather/Feather combo and was nice, smooth, close, and comfortable. This is the 61st shave using the MdC soap. As usual, the lather was slick, rich, and plentiful. The Kent as always did a great job of making lather. A perfect shave. The PAA Mysterium Serum is no more. The ASB is nice but I found it a tad too greasy. Have a great day.

4 1 23.jpg

The more I use this razor the more I love it.

Didn't quite need the rush of Osage Rub this morning (my usual 6:45am leaving the apartment on Saturdays got pushed up a few hours), but still enjoyed the tears nonetheless.

Wasn't entirely weeperless, but that's not the razor's fault. And I don't care about that sort of stuff anyway.

10/10.

Top Bottom