What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Rating 9 mainly cause of the soap :)

*10 Shave 2 with my new Wolfman 1.15 and YEAH loving it
*10 blade 2nd use on the Nacet
*7 cella soap back to the bin box but had to try with the new 1.15
*8 balm again least fav of Nivea but OK stuff and using it up
*10 Old Spice :) ahhh memories it brings back :)
2A954AD5-F9B0-4878-8DEA-7D331A2314C7.jpeg

Razorock lupo. 72
Rapira Platinum lux
Zingari Man The Gent
Zingari Man The navigator

Ugh, it's been a while since I used the Lupo and the shave wasnt that great. Felt it was hardly taking off any hairs to applied extra pressure, which ended in some small weepers. Face feel post shave was alright, but definatly not as close as I would have liked. Thinking of stelling the head. And looking at a timeless. 68 oc. Would that be more efficient than the Lupo?

Thx!

View attachment 1467816
I did not get along with the Lupo to much blade feel I thought the GC 84 was better for comfort but the lupo had more efficiency than the GC just in case you tried a GC also ?

again all personal and I do think one just has to try each razor and see and if your thoughts kinda line up with others its a guide to try other things out of the timeless 68 the comb is my fav for sure though again have to try the 95 plates but what you are saying about the Lupo feeling like its not taking off hope others reply ! I think the 68 would be less of what you have and the 95 might be the one to try as long as the lupo comfort was OK ? But again have not tried the 95 yet

as far as comparing the Timeless 68 comb (I have all 3 bars in Ti) to the Lupo I found the Lupo to be more efficient BUT with way more blade feel and for me discomfort but the head size is nice and nimble

the Timeless was way more comfy (all 3 heads are great) I have only tried 2 combs the Yates and the Timeless and the Timeless I cant tell its a comb its so comfy the yates has a bit of a I am pulling something over my face and I feel the comb a touch not bad you just notice it :)

the one thing I find about the comb on the Timeless is on one pass it does a better job getting the odd hairs hard to put in words for sure more efficient than the solid/straight bars but its like if I shave with a straight and have any little areas left I have to come back at a touch dif angle or clean up where the comb tends to get these ? Now my thoughts are the hairs are at a small dif angle and the comb kinda guides them in where the solid/straight either pushes them away or down and does not pick them up ? NOW those are MY thoughts no science no testing just what I feel and notice as my left side has this odd swirl pattern

I found the wolfman has these tiny ridges on the bar and kinda thinking they do the same thing as the comb or scallop on the Timeless help to kinda straighten up and get the angles of hair that regular smooth straights do not cut to me the wolfman is working the best ! But I want to try the .95 timeless also

the scallop looking timeless feels more like the comb and to me is a great bar also a touch less efficient than comb and a touch more than the solid/straight so almost a fine tuning of the bars

for me the woflman has brought the efficiency of the Lupo with the comfort of the Timeless and the just enough blade feel of the GC 84 or to say brings the best things of each razor I loved and puts them all into one

Last edited:

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Micromatic clog pruf
Personna PTFE 2nd use
Lea puck
Frank Shaving badger
Thayers witch hazel
Proraso red aftershave
Proraso white balm
Alum feedback face-low. Neck-medium
Better than my first Micromatic shave with an open comb model.
I did not do an ATG on my neck. Got a close shave on my cheeks though.
8/10

4283E4E2-29C7-439F-B5EC-731A5E279E0A.jpeg

So what is your opinion of the two Grooming Department products so far? I just started using them yesterday. So far, I love the pre-shave equally well as the Baume.be.... and perhaps a little more. The hydrating get? I'm not sure yet. I might prefer Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream... but it's a bit too soon to know for sure... one use.
I just bought my third container of GD's pre-shave in citrus. That's my endorsement for the pre-shave. The Hydrating Gel(HG) is a tossup with Neutrogena(NHB). I think they both work equally well. Following GD's direction for use, I think I use less product per application than I do with NHB. The one con of GD's HG is it's not always available so you don't want to wait until the last moment to get a replacement.

Wolfman WR2 1.25,Nacet(3),Stirling boat drinks,Simpsons chubby1 super,Thayers,clubman,Nivea sensitive,Prorasso green.Wonderful shave today every shave seems to be getting smoother and closer.I'm still getting the angles wrong now and then but the more i'm using it the better its getting.The audio on this razor is amazing i don't know if it's because of the hollow handle but i know when it's BBS when i can't hear no more cutting.That was as good as it gets for me it's got to be a 10/10.Take care happy shaves everyone.
20220606_152935[1].jpg

I did not get along with the Lupo
Thanks for replying. I actually loved the Lupo initially. It could have been the blade. I agree with @JAHE on many things but I don't understand this love for the platinum lux.

I've been using my Ambassador alot on setting 5 and 4 and some open comb razors and the razorine flatboy which are all more efficient. Thats probably why I was so dissapointed in todays shave.

I don't mind blade feel but it has to remain comfy. I dont get much blade feel from the Lupo, so thats not the problem. You say the. 68 timeless would be less efficient. Which would make it less interesting. Maybe I shouldn't aim for higher and and just try a cheaper fatip originale (I have a FOCS, but again, it could be more efficient) or perhaps a PAA Copper ascension twist, but they are sold out.

I could also go totally crazy and try a Muhle r41, but I'm a bit scared of that one 😃

There is ofcourse the option to not buy a single thing. That timeless sure looks gorgeous though. Bah.

20220605_082436.jpg

Razor: Star Junior, Red Baton Handle.
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Jayaruh #163 White Queen in synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Seaforth! Heather
Aftershave: Seaforth! Heather Aftershave Toner
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Rating Ten.

Let's remember them today:

The Battle of Midway, June 4 - 7 1942
l4FGkIUrUqAMxCVlC.gif

D-day, the Normandy Invasion, June 6, 1944.
TgZkKWnOre6iR7ThqP.gif

Preshave: warm shower
Blade: Muhle uncorked (2) “rogue blade”
Razor: Muhle R41 Zamak
Soap: cpt. Fawcett limited
Splash+Balm: Denim Tribal + Proraso Wood & Spice

Rating: 7/10 DFS but… it had to be bad blade, never happened with Muhle blades(is it rebranded Personna?) before, but this was second time use and same like first time it was not smooth. I felt something is odd after first use a day before, even on my cheeks blade was rough like it would have teeth. And R41 wont protect you much :) (Never had such feeling with R41 yet with Feather or Muhle blades or Derby blades).
so I went super cautious and manage 1 pass shave + buffing dfs but definitely not a pleasant ride. Maybe I should cork it before first use. But something tells me it would not help anyway. So 2 weepers alum took care of and to the blade disposal bin with this rogue blade.

There is ofcourse the option to not buy a single thing. That timeless sure looks gorgeous though. Bah.
With you there @Shaun asleep - I have been driving myself almost nuts in considering another razor. One that will make things even more efficient whilst maintaining comfort.

But I keep going in circles: the only thing left after my Fatip would either be the R41 (yikes!) or one of the high end razors (and heaven forfend that if you buy one of those and get exactly the same shave you already did!).

In the efficiency arena I really thought the Fatip would bring it home and I think it is a marvellous razor (love it), but “two passes and done” is not there yet. Or my technique is still of off course.

Best,

Guido

the only thing left after my Fatip would either be the R41 (yikes!) or one of the high end razors (and heaven forfend that if you buy one of those and get exactly the same shave you already did!).
That is exactly the problem. You can't be sure what you get in hand is what you need or desire. Prices on these high end razors are basically too high to just flip a coin and give 'm a role.
I' ve tried quite a few, more affordable razors, and have sold off many of them. All of them for half the price or less with less than 15 shaves on each of them. It's becoming an expensive hobby. But I love it just the same.

Starting second week at Florida Beach with my same kit, (which is holding up well). Very proud of my Timeless Ti .95mm SB for everyday shaving. Normally would not do a daily on vacation, but wanted to give this particular safety bar a good workout!
Using a Gillette Silver Blue blade by the way along with a Shave Nation badger.

Attachments

• CBEFFBED-2177-4761-875F-5AE67B61130C.jpeg
    CBEFFBED-2177-4761-875F-5AE67B61130C.jpeg
    992.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 624E5A27-25D7-4D19-B11C-256505649F83.jpeg
    624E5A27-25D7-4D19-B11C-256505649F83.jpeg
    892.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
New stuff today:

Pre-Shave: Grooming Dept Pre-Shave (first use)
Soap: back to one of my first soaps, i.e., Acca Kappa Barbershop... what a great soap
Brush: Zenith M23 Copper Manchurian
Bowl: ESC Stef Baxter
Razor: Claymore Evolution
Blade: Kai Captain Titan MG Guarded (7th and last use)
Post Shave: Grooming Dept. Hydrating Gel (First use)

It was a very nice shave today.... close, effortless, though I could tell this blade was ready to be discarded.

End result: a very comfortable shave and a relaxing time getting there.

9.9 out of 10, I believe. I still feel funny quantifying my shaves. I'm a newbie... what do I really know yet?
I figured I'd "reply" to my post since I took the photo today in actual sunlight.

6_5_2002SOTD.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just bought my third container of GD's pre-shave in citrus. That's my endorsement for the pre-shave. The Hydrating Gel(HG) is a tossup with Neutrogena(NHB). I think they both work equally well. Following GD's direction for use, I think I use less product per application than I do with NHB. The one con of GD's HG is it's not always available so you don't want to wait until the last moment to get a replacement.
I got the pre-shave from the GD website but they were out of the HG... but they directed me to West Coast Shaving... they had it and it was on sale, so that was nice. GD was out of the unscented for a couple days but Mohammad told me exactly when it would be back in stock. He was very responsive to my email... got back to me in a few minutes. He didn't give me a time frame for the HG to be restocked, hence the recommendation to buy it at West Coast Shaving.

I think I might like the pre-shave even better than the Baume.be. As I mentioned, I shouldn't have changed soaps. I sort of blew any chance of a one to one comparison by changing soaps. I'll use Canada Shaving Soap tomorrow.... I bought some Baume.be products on BST so I have two full containers of the pre-shave. I really like it.... but I think GD has it beat. The GD pre-shave is Much less expensive, as I'm sure you know.

Thanks for replying. I actually loved the Lupo initially. It could have been the blade. I agree with @JAHE on many things but I don't understand this love for the platinum lux.

I've been using my Ambassador alot on setting 5 and 4 and some open comb razors and the razorine flatboy which are all more efficient. Thats probably why I was so dissapointed in todays shave.

I don't mind blade feel but it has to remain comfy. I dont get much blade feel from the Lupo, so thats not the problem. You say the. 68 timeless would be less efficient. Which would make it less interesting. Maybe I shouldn't aim for higher and and just try a cheaper fatip originale (I have a FOCS, but again, it could be more efficient) or perhaps a PAA Copper ascension twist, but they are sold out.

I could also go totally crazy and try a Muhle r41, but I'm a bit scared of that one 😃

In wet shaving there's nothing more subjective than blades. The majority of wet shaving guys swear by ASP or Voskhod. I never managed to get one decent shave out of them. We are deep in YMMV territory when blades are concerned. I hope you didn't buy the RPL in bulk...

As per the Lupo .72: I have the very initial feeling that this plate is more picky on shaving angles than, say, the Lupo .95 counterpart. Maybe the combination of the RPL and a tad of sloppy technique ruined the shave. But I'm just guessing.
Change the blade to a favourite blade, go steep first and raise the handle just a bit until you can hear the blade catching stubble and focus on maintaing the angle properly.

I don't know if this will cure your Timeless RAD 😉 but maybe you'll get a good shave with the Lupo this way.

Happy shaves!

Razor: Gillette Fatboy F1
Blade: Bic Chrome Platinum
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Preshave: Hot shower
Soap: Rambling man
Aftershave: Iced Pineapple 🍍
Finish Scent: Rambling man ASv
Rating: 10/10

Recently when I received some samples of soap and aftershave from Stirling I smelled the Ramblin Man after shave and didn't really get it. I thought nope, this one's not for me.
However I shaved with the Ramblin Man soap today and holy smokes, now i get it! What a delightful soap and intoxicating scent. Fantastic lather.
I officially change my mind on this one, I love it.
My shave today was flawless and transformative. Grandpa's old razor did it again.
All in all a perfect shave.
IMG_20220606_123417-01.jpeg

what about just going up to the 95 plate ? they also have a 95 comb ? for the Lupo ? I know that is very close in feel to the 72 but more efficient and that way you could just get the plate and give it a go ?

I have a rex also :)
to me again to much blade feel I find anything over 3 on rex not so comfy I can do 4 fist pass but anything following up is on 3 or 2
so yeah I would say the timeless 68 for you would be like is there a blade in here :) hahahaha its like Henson smooth
Timeless are amazing looking for sure and very nice :) maybe research the 95 or the bronze for timeless ?
Wolfman wr1 maybe ? Heard the lupo kinda copied them and the wolfman have quite a following here ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom