What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Pre Shave: Warm Shower, Stirling Unscented Pre Shave Soap
Razor: OneBlade Hybrid
Blade: Feather FHS-10 (2)
Soap: Stirling Baker Street
Bowl: PAA Blue Travel Scuttle
Brush: Semogue TAJ Resin Handled SOC Boar
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse, Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Proraso Red AS
Rating: 10/10 Excellent 2 pass BBS shave with one touch up. No weepers, cuts or irritation. Very Smooth and mindless shave. Not sure why Feathers work in the Hybrid but cause me problems in the Genesis, but they do.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Razor: Rockwell 6S, #4 plate
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless (19)
Brush: Zenith aluminum boar, 27mm
Soap: Pre de Provence No. 63
Pre-Shave: Hot shower only
Aftershave: Pre de Provence
Growth: 24 hours
Passes: WTG, ATG, cleanup
Rating: 10/10

After 4 consecutive days of Feather and Kai blades that demand constant attention, today was set aside for the forgiving Astra. As sharp as these Japanese blades are, shave #19 with the Astra yielded a more comfortable and closer shave.

Have you ever sanded a board, progressing from coarse to very fine grit sandpaper? As you finish and gently blow the sawdust away, you glide your palm and fingertips across the board’s smooth, soft surface? It yields a number of sensations: a newly smoothed surface, the scent of freshly exposed wood, and a feeling of accomplishment. As I now gently rub my smooth jawline, this word picture may best illustrate the satisfaction of the morning’s shave.

E266AC39-6F1B-465E-BF81-35D24F684AAF.jpeg

Tuesday shave, 11/30, two and 1/2 passes, BBS-, 10-/10, no weepers or other mishaps, just a wonderful shave:

Pre-shave: shower
Razor: Maxwell June twinned DE
Blade: Personna Med Prep
Soap: MdC Nature- this soap just lasts, I've barely made a dimple in the surface, yet the lather is always great
Brush: Simpson Chubby 1 in Best
Post-shave: cool rinse, then some Floid Vigorosa AS

Have yourself some great shaves!

PXL_20211130_153325657.jpg

Lupo.95,Nacet(2),Tabac tallow,Simpsons Eagle2 super,Thayers,Clubman original,Nivea sensitive.Great shave with the Lupo easy BBS but opened up that bleeding spot again.First time using Clubman original really liked it a nice strong barbershop scent.All in all a nice shave apart from a bit of blood.I'll give it an 8/10 today.Take care happy shaves everyone.
20211130_155904[1].jpg

20211129_094829.jpg

Razor: Barbasol Bakelite handle, NFH
Blade: Gillette Rubie Plus
Brush: Simpson Emperor 3 Super Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Long Rifle Bay Rhum
Aftershave: Long Rifle Bay Rhum Shave Tonic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

Razor: R89
Brush: Mühle silvertip badger traditional
Blade: Gillette silver blue (2. use)
Soap: Palmolive stick
Aftershave: Pitralon classic

7/10

Silver blue still sharp on the second use. Palmolive and Pitralon is a terrific mix also. If it wouldn’t have been for the nicks!

6 days growth
Pre-shave: 5 G&Ts, and a quick face wash with Grandpa's Pine Tar soap.
Razor: Merkur 34G
Blade: Gillette Platinum (Bullgoose Swedes)
Brush: Simpson Rover
Soap: RR Plague Doctor. Although I have 3 tubs from last year, I decided to try one of the 2 new tubs that I received yesterday. Same formula, same great soap.
Pre-aftershave: Dickinson's Witch Hazel to sooth the skin, in preparation for the aftershave.
Aftershave; Ogallala Bay Run. Love the clove.
Rating: 9/10. Old favorites always deliver.

Soap: Stirling Candy Cane
Razor: Gillette Old Type (3 piece thick cap)
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: Simpson Eagle G3 pure
Aftershave: Witch Hazel / VIBR
Balm: Nivea sensitive

It was fun traveling with my Tech but happy to be home. Flawless shave with the Old Type.

First time using Stirling Candy Cane. I ordered a sample and my dad opted for the refill puck, but he didn't like the scent so I ended up getting the refill puck. When smelling the soap it has a bit of peppermint and a bit of a chocolate vibe, but once lathering up the peppermint scent really comes out. The outside of the soap is brown but in the middle it's white, so I guess this one is layered. The scent is fantastic off of this thing and I did a 3rd pass just so I can keep smelling it. If anyone is curious about this one, totally pick it up. It is more "mint chocolate" than candy cane, however, but delicious nonetheless. I do feel the scent will change over time since the middle of it is white instead of brown like the outside. Good on Stirling, as this one is a banger.

10/10

Today, deviated from my recent experimenting with cartridges -- I've playing with them since I hadn't used one for three years and I've been finding cartridges so easy to use but, in general, the shave is just not as close as with a DE. So went back to a DE, the WR1, to get a closer shave. Fine fine shave. Let's call it a 9.9/10. The highlight was the aftershave. I wasn't intending to use the recently arrived T+S's holiday/winter fragrance for this year, the Spicy Fougere set, but after I had shaved with the excellent Vanilla Safi, I changed my mind from what I intended to use as the aftershave (Summer Break History 101) and grabbed the Spicy Fougere. The name is quite accurate and I have to say that this is a one great holiday scent -- tonic bean, some allspice, bergamot, and bay rum, among others.
2021-11-30 WR1 BK8 Vanilla Spicy Fougere copy.jpeg

Today, deviated from my recent experimenting with cartridges -- I've playing with them since I hadn't used one for three years and I've been finding cartridges so easy to use but, in general, the shave is just not as close as with a DE.

I had used injectors and carts for over 35 years before switching to DE. Carts are easier and quicker if you don't mind plucking out ingrown hairs for days afterwards.10 months after I switched to DE, I took my favorite Sensor 2-blade cart on vacation, figuring it would be easier to travel with. I had such a lousy shave with that favorite cart, that I tossed it in the trash and didn't shave again until I got home. It's been DE ever since.

My Tuesday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
One pass shave: WTG​
Razor: Case Red Imp 11/16 Half Hollow​
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Cream For Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Brush: Elite Razor Waterfall Bubinga w/ 26mm High Mountain White Fan​
Soap: Proraso White Shaving Soap for Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
Facial Toner: Thayers Alcohol-Free Original Witch Hazel Facial Toner with Aloe Vera Formula​
Aftershave: Proraso White Alcohol Free After Shave Balm for Sensitive Skin, Green Tea & Oat​
5/10
  • I had a 10 going this morning after completing my left side. Two cuts and two nick later, not so much....

- Brush: M&F L7 26mm Finest Badger
- Razor: 1930’s Gillette Goodwill
- Blade: Polish Polsilver (3)
- Soap: Storybook Soapworks Carnivale
- Aftershave: B&M Softheart Unscented
- Post Shave: Thayers Unscented, Hyaluronic Acid

A nice evening shave with stuff I had to dig into the shaving den drawer for. The Goodwill is a nice, simple OC razor that gives a great shave IF you watch your pressure. It can bite. Worked well with the Polsilver though. Nice combination.

Used the M&F again after only 36 hours as it is just a killer brush. @SgtCrppls has great taste. Lathered a ton of the Carnivale from the now defunct Storybook Soapworks. Ended with the strangely rarely seen Softheart Unscented AS.

9/10

E075210C-91A5-49B6-9AE0-D30B42BA7F26.jpeg

Wed 1st SOTD
Cream MacaRoot & Aloe
Brush Yaqi 24mm Bali Silvertip
Razor Karve Brass SB-D
Blade KAI Stainless 2nd
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Wintergreen + MacaRoot & Aloe Gel Splash
A wonderfully pleasant scent from this cream. The lather was great too...creamy and slick!
An excellent shave with the razor paired with this blade! Very smooth, comfortable yet crisply efficient! 3passes for a bbs finish. This KAI somehow edges out the Feather on this 2nd use, albeit just a hair or two. Aftershaves were awesome! Rating 10/10!
20211201_111236.jpg

Mitchell’s Wool Fat soap
Simpson Trafalgar T3 synthetic brush
Mappin & Webb near wedge SR
Wickham Soap Co. 1912 English Rose Post Shave Balm

All products from the British isles tonight. MWF is wonderful. The never ending lather tonight. It was my inaugural use of the Simpson T3 which arrived today. I had no idea synthetics were so soft! It lathered beautifully. I’m glad I splurged on a new brush. The balm is different. It’s a clear gel, a bit sticky, but rub it in long enough, and the stickiness goes away. You could always use a powder like Pinaud Clubman, Proraso, Borotalco, etc. to counter the stickiness. Not necessary, but you might prefer it.

As for the shave, it’s been a while since I used the Mappin & Webb. Shave was a little rough. I cut myself once, that type of cut when you’re bringing the blade to the face and the instant it touches, it just goes right into the skin. No slicing motion necessary. I did one full pass followed by a variety of touch-up passes here and there, not the entire face and neck. Not a bad result as far as smoothness goes. I’ll ding a point for the cut and .75 for the irritation.

So a score of 8.25/10.
41DCEB86-ECD6-4B1F-AC7D-DC04EBE9A16F.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Top Bottom