What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sunday Schick Shave, Aug29th, 2021

Razor: Schick injector G type, Canadian variant, Mfg 1939's-40's NDC, excellent mid range, light weight, light touch works the best & if technique is on will put a smile on your face.
Blade: Personna SS PTFE(4), very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely & predictable.
Soap: Italian barber(Razorock) Amici, nice mild grapefruit citrus and herbs scent, great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi 24mm High Mountain silver tip, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, great scrubber, great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Italian barber Amici with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea with HA.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers= :a17: excellent shave with my Schick Canadian G type injector with a Personna injector coated blade.

SOTD,  Aug 29th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Sunday's shave

Pre: Shower
Razor: Gillette 1940's Super Speed
Blade: Kai, 6th shave
Brush: Stirling synthetic tuxedo
Soap: Cella
After shave: Thayer's WH, followed by Cella A/S splash

DFS shave 9.0/10

OK, I'm convinced. Kai's are da bomb. I decided to stop with the Tech blade testing I've been doing because I was getting bored and put the Kai in the 1940's Gillette Super Speed I got--near mint condition, that one, it has not been replated, lucky find. I also wasn't trying to do the best shave I could, partly because it was Sunday and I wanted to take it easier on my face for a day, and partly because I wanted to see how shave #6 on this Kai was compared to my normal daily shave on my Gillette SP Blacks, which I use for 3-4 days, two blades per week. This shave was the equal or better than what I'm used to in my Merkur 34C with the Black on shave #4. Better or equal to shave #3, actually. If tomorrow's shave is similar, this is definitely a full-week blade for me, and they would actually be cheaper than GSB's or my Blacks at two-per-week. I love this blade. I'm more perplexed than ever now at the popularity of the Feather, since a relative minority get more than 2 shaves out of one, but hey, to each his own, right?

Another observation I made is I love this brush. When I stopped hanging around here about 5-6 years ago, synths were around, I just did not take them seriously, thinking they were a novelty, or a fad, or "cheap" in the "not good" meaning. Boy was I wrong! This is a terrific brush! I still prefer a slightly scritchy Best Badger or my B&B Anniversay boar (my #1 favorite brush), but between my silvertip badger and this, I keep reaching for this.

Another thread asked if synths were animal bristle killers, and I doubt it. However, it may be a silvertip badger killer. Why would you spend the money on a silvertip if you get a comparable shave out of a good synth? Like I said, I still like my lesser badgers and that boar, but I doubt I'll ever pay for another silvertip brush or knot again. Ever.

shave-Cella-Kai.jpg

Last edited:
Sunday two-pass shave, 9++/10, no issues- just really nice:

Razors: Occam's OREN- two-dot head
Blade: Feather AC Pro (2)
Brush: Shavemac Pure Badger- this brush is neither dense, nor overly soft, is small at 20mm, but for some reason it's just fun to use
Soap: MWF- dried puck used directly on my face made a wonderful protective lather; the lanolin leaves an excellent face feel; used this soap almost daily for a couple of years
Post-shave: rinse, Thayer's Superhazel- my face feels just fine for a hot Arizona day
PXL_20210829_170145685.jpg

Have some great shaves!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Razor: Vintage Trac II
Cartridge: Discontinued Wilkinson Sword Twin II Plus. (lifetime supply) 12th shave on Cart.
Brush: Omega #10029 Boar “Baby Pro”
Cream: C.O. Bigelow (rebranded Proraso)
Mug: Green Rubber Marvy
AS: Vintage Avon Super Rally Bracing Lotion

0F348E61-F734-454F-A816-C180286B797D.jpeg

Great shave. It was a shower shave and I always get fantastic shaves in the shower. I have a fog less mirror in my shower which hangs perfectly on the wall in order to see my face while I shave.

I am able to fill up my giant green rubber shave mug with water, so I can turn off the shower head and conserve water, while rinsing my Trac II off in the mug which sits perfectly on a small shelf between passes. I also soak my boar brush in this same mug.

There is just something great about pairing Italian Proraso shave cream with my Italian brand Omega Baby Pro boar brush. Great scrub with soft tips and a lot of Proraso lather left over in the brush for more passes.

I did get one tiny, small nick, which communicates to me, that after twelve shaves now on a new cartridge, it’s time to start giving the cart a few strops on a strop I made from cutting up a old pair of Levi’s blue jeans.

Stropping the cart now, a few times before each shave, usually will get me to that magic number of 20 or so smooth shaves, which allows me to get my money’s worth out of each cart.

They don’t produce Wilkinson Sword Twin Plus carts anymore for the Trac II which is my favorite Trac II cart, but I did buy up a lifetime supply from clearance shelves before they were gone years ago. :)

The Trac II razor was the very first razor I ever used back in the early 70’s when I began shaving as a teenager. It’s the only cart I have ever enjoyed using and I have mastered it to give me every bit as good of shaves as I get with any other type of razor I use.

PSX_20210828_091442.jpg

Razor: Schick B1 Magazine Repeating Razor
Blade: Personna Injector
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Caswell-Massey Newport
Aftershave: Proraso Green Splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating 9.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Razor: The Peerless Razor
Brush: Omega Jade
Soap: Portus Cale

Spent time yesterday looking for good steel as pitting near blades edge has been a problem. A lengthy honing session produced good results. A smooth shave, but pitting will continue to be an issue down the road. I’ll enjoy it while I can.
57ED925A-1398-4A51-B2A5-04DD5DD2F7AB.jpeg

Razor: Timeless .95 Titanium Open Comb
Blade: Lord Silver Star Super Stainless Steel (1)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper (Heavyweight)
Brush: Chisel and Hound “Cenote” with 26mm Shavemac D01 2-Band Silvertip (Bulb)
Soap and Aftershave: Declaration Grooming / House of Mammoth / Noble Otter Cerberus
Rating: 10 / 10

Fantastic shave, glass like BBS with no cuts or irritation, what more can you ask for.

Did you have Rudy set the knot? Very smart to add to the loft, it then gives you a quality brush with a different feel. On my Beehive Butterscotch Swirl brush that Rudy made I had him set it with 2mm less loft, it is a 2 Band Silvertip, so I still have the softness of the Silvertip but more backbone, it is nice for a little different feel.

Congrats on your new brush.

Really enjoy the Silver Star blades, perfect sharpness and smoothness for me for cheap, one of my favourites.

First shave with the DG, HOM and NO collab Cerberus. It’s a great cool weather scent that’s warm and not too dark, just the right amount for me. My wife and I don’t get the bright opening of the stone fruit that was described by HOM. My wife and I get a warm amber, leather (labdanum) and woody notes, she described it as very masculine. I really enjoy it but she’s not a fan… yet (she’ll come around I hope). Performance from the Milksteak base and NO splash were great as usual.

First shave with my new Chisel and Hound brush with a Shavemac D01 2-Band Silvertip knot in bulb. I was very hesitant to order this knot and it took me quite a while to actually pull the trigger but after speaking to some members on here, I decided to give it a shot. It has been described as being very scrubby, scritchy and stiff that it’s an acquired taste and you could jack up a car with it and loft is important especially with the bulb that I got. Taking that into account, I ordered it with 2mm added to the hair and set the 26mm knot at 54mm loft. Well after one shave my thoughts are… I love it! It was nowhere near as intense as I was expecting going in. It was scrubby but in a nice massage your face type of way and had zero scritch with scrubbing or painting strokes. It has no issues splaying. It’s not as soft as my 2-Band Silvertip but is soft enough. I was expecting the first shaves to be uncomfortable and get more pleasant to eventually enjoyable with many shaves as it broke in but it was enjoyable right away. I’m pleasantly surprised to say the least.

View attachment 1318872

Did you have Rudy set the knot? Very smart to add to the loft, it then gives you a quality brush with a different feel. On my Beehive Butterscotch Swirl brush that Rudy made I had him set it with 2mm less loft, it is a 2 Band Silvertip, so I still have the softness of the Silvertip but more backbone, it is nice for a little different feel.

Congrats on your new brush.

Thanks Doug! I set the knot myself, done it a few times already and have had no issues so far. I was really torn between the Shavemac 2-band silvertip and D01 2-band as the 2-band silvertip gets so much love as you know but I already have Thäter’s version which is supposed to be very close or almost indistinguishable between the two brand’s versions and love scrub so thought what the heck, let’s try it as I like variety and have a rotation of 6 brushes so nice to have different knots in each. Glad I went with the D01 and you are right, the extra 2mm loft was a good idea. I’m thinking I could have gotten away with the standard length hair and 52mm loft but I’d rather be safe then sorry with an expensive knot and all the warnings about it.

That was a smart thing putting the 2-band silvertip 2mm lower for more backbone, I did that with my Thäter and it’s fantastic.

Last edited:
Prep: Marlowe Charcoal Soap/ Hanna Guys Pre Shave Oil
Soap: Lea Pro Crema
Brush: Simpsons Trafalgar Synthetic
Blade: New Voskhod
Razor: Razorock MJ90A
Post: Alum Block/ Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel/ Proraso Green Aftershave

Rating: 8/10 I had poor technic today with a couple of weepers. All in all a good shave for a newbie. Blade seemed to pull a lot which may be due to the Lea not providing enough lubrication. I used a dab right from the tube like a pre-shave before the third pass and it worked like a charm.
IMG_20210829_153137792~2.jpg

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210829_121129_2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (4)
Brush: Lowborn Supply Jaded Rose (Maggard 24mm SHD Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: RazoRock Nomad
Fragrance: Lagerfeld Classic EdT Spray

Superb shave! :cool:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 9.5/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Sandalwood shave soap (Brushless - pump - applied by hand.)
Soap: Captain's Choice Venture
Brush: APShave Co. Emerald synthetic
Razor: Wolfman WR2 SB 1.25 (on loan from @Mountain Grown )
Blade: Sharp Titanium (1)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Stirling Black Ice Black Licorice-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger face tonic
AS: Bootlegger's Bay Rum splash

A late evening shave for a specific reason...I could not wait for the morning to find out what the Wolfman WR2 SB 1.25 shaves like. Thanks to @Mountain Grown who loaned me his Wolfman 1.25, I was able to gauge what the WR2 Wolfman is like. So...before I continue further, thanks @Mountain Grown ... I owe you! So...ok...here goes. Most of you know that I'm singing the praises of the RazorRock Lupo lately, I own every head configuration in the stainless steel models and have found that the .72 is best for me. More often than not, it's my go-to daily razor. For me, it's not only a good-looking razor, slim head design, but it feels harmless and gives just enough blade feel to let you know it's there and getting the job done. My results with it are generally DFS/BBS...something it makes look easy.

I can now say after having used the Wolfman WR2, that the WR2 is a smooth shaver, much more on par with the feel of the RazoRock Lupo than my Wolfman WR1 .74 gap. I found the WR1 .74 gap to be a tad aggressive for my liking...an efficient shaver to be sure, but at that gap, it's just a little too much for me. The WR2 1.25 is also a tad too aggressive for me, but I can say after having used it, that it's much closer to what I would consider to be perfect. So...without further blabber from me...I'm fairly certain that the configuration/gap I will be getting when my name bubbles to the top of the Wolfman list will be the WR2 1.15.

Now an admission. Many of you who have extensive Wolfman experience and knowledge told me in advance that the WR2 1.15 would be the WR2 for me. Like...WOW! Nostradamus has nothing on you guys! At this point after having shaved with a Wolfman WR2 1.25, I would concur...for me, the WR2 1.15 should be the sweet spot.

One other thing...Captain's Choice Venture makes my new slickness cut and stays in the rotation. I'm sure the rest of my Captain's Choice products will perform similarly.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

And thanks again @Mountain Grown ... you are the man!

Proof that this act of gentlemanly kindness happened below.

A Kit 20210829 Wolfman WR2.jpg

Last edited:
@LMcC Another cool label! (At least, I think it's new?)

Yesterday's shave was no nice, I only changed the aftershave today:
tempImageGEal0B.jpg

Brush: PAA Starcraft
Lather: Tabac -- scooped into my lather bowl this time; I liked this better than loading from the jar, which is a little narrow.
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (3)
Razor: Blackbird on Razorock 85mm handle

The blade was good enough on shave #3, but I won't push it further. I skipped the touchup (4th) pass on the upper lip, which helped keep things comfortable. No blood, no irritation worth reporting. Results: DFS on the goatee area, BBS everywhere else.

My first week with the Blackbird went well, and I feel like I learned fast. The first two or three shaves were a little harsh, but I'm getting the hang of it... Rating: 9/10.

Top Bottom