What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

12 January 2021

Prep:
Pear Soap applied with my old Omega 11126 brush
Razor:
WCS 84S
Soap:
Proraso Green shave cream (using rain water)
Brush:
Gray Dog
Blade:
Shark Blade#4 shave #6 and out
Passes:
WTG then ATG
Cleanup:
Rinsed and dried face, Witch Hazel, and then an Alum rub down.
Aftershave:
Pinaud Clubman
Rating:
9.0 DFS This morning I obtained an acceptable shave with a well-used blade. Some light stubble, but no nicks or weepers. The well-used blade was banked; onto #5 tomorrow.

48-hour beard

Gillette Slim from '62/new Personna Lab Blue blade

Arko in stick form (first time trying it!)

AP Shave Co. synthetic tuxedo brush

Clubman SR aftershave, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

Hot shower, then applied a little Arko as a pre-shave, rubbed the stick on my wet face, face-lathered, and proceeded after my usual 3 minutes' wait. The Slim began at 6 for pass 1 (WTG), 5 for pass 2 (ATG), and 4 for the third (XTG and cleanup). Smooth, no irritation, near BBS. A good scent from the Arko (though I could wish for a better package with a plastic holder like La Toja's or Tabac's). As I noticed 2 weeks ago, more aggressive numbers for the Slim makes for a good shave for my face.

Verdict: 9.8.

Razor: Merkur Bakelite
Blade: Big Ben Super Stainless (1)

Brush: Stirling boar 24mm
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper

Cream: Gillette Pure

Peppermint and Tea Tree oils ,

Lubriderm Men's 3-in-1 Lotion,

Veleiro Aftershave Splash

Three and a half passes to a BBS cheeks and chin and neck.
No nicks or weepers or razor burn. Gillette Pure is a good shave cream, Big Ben is a good blade and the Merkur Bakelite is a good razor. I enjoyed the shave very much.

10/10
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Tue 12th SOTD
Soap Arko [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Brush Yaqi 28mm Tuxedo Synthetic
Razor RR G37 Slant on Yaqi Handle
Blade American Shave Platinum 1st [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Post & Aftershaves Ice Water + Thayers + Hyaluronic + Old Spice Original
Top-quality performance from this soap. Thickly creamy and super slick. The scent is unique for sure. Pleasant for me...
Shave with razor paired with the blade was excellent! Crisply smooth and comfortable for 3passes without any issues for a mostly glass-like finish. Atg-pass on chin and lips area was so smooth with this outstanding blade!
Rating 10/10!!
View attachment 1207446
Nice red theme you had going.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum shave soap
Soap: Goodfellas' Smile Inferno
Brush: Yaqi Red Marbleized Tuxedo synthetic
Razor: Karve Brass OC (Plate B)
Blade: Derby Premium (2)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Stirling Bay Rum scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Bootlegger's Bay Rum

Not much work to do this morning after the performance by the Timeless yesterday morning, but the Karve OC kept everything nice and smooth, DFS/BBS. No blood or injuries to report. Paired some Bay Rum sweetness in Bootlegger's with some smoldering embers and leather in the Inferno...a nice compliment. No complaints with this shave...2 pass on face and neck, 2 additional passes just on neck with minor touch ups.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

Kit 20210112.jpg

Pre Shave: Warm shower, Glycerin Soap Face Wash, Crown Pre Shave Gel
Razor: Timeless Ti .68SB
Blade: Gillette Platinum (1)
Brush: Simpson's Persian Jar PJ3 in Best Badger
Soap: Stirling Baker Street
Post Shave: Cold water rinse, Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, Stirling Baker Street EDT
Rating: 10/10 Excellent three pass BBS shave. One weeper (my fault), no irritation and no cuts. Excellent Shave! Another of my razors I can always count on for an excellent shave.

Quarantine Shave

Pre-shave: Shower/PAA The Cube
Razor: Gillette G1 195
Blade: 7am Plus Platinum
Brush: VHD Boar
Soap: Arko
Bowl/Mug: 3D Printed bowl
Post Shave: PAA Mysterium Serum
AS: None

2 days of growth.
Been offline pretty much since Wed.
Didn't post my Friday shave. That shave was a Williams soap (new formula), and the AS was Lo Haiku. Everything was going well, until I went to apply the Lo Haiku. As you can guess from the title of this shave, I couldn't smell it.
So instead of posting about what a great shave it was, and how much I enjoyed the scent of Lo Haiku, I ended up looking for a place to get a COVID test. Found one and went and took the test (self administered nasal swab), just to confirm what I was already sure of, based on my inability to smell.
Got my results today, and of course it was positive. So I will be quarantining for the next 10 days.
On to today's shave:

Got my shower this evening, and got ready for my shave.
Used tap warm water to soak my brush, and cut a thin sliver of soap off my Arko stick, and put a little water on it to bloom it while was getting everything else ready.
Loaded a 7am Plus Platinum blade in my 195, set the adjuster to 3 to start, wet my face and applied The Cube, and then dumped the bloom water and set about to make my lather.
Once it was a nice lather, I applied it to my face, and started my shave. First 2 passes were WTG/XTG. The 3rd pass, XTG, I set the razor to 5.
Got a few weepers from this shave, and have some irritation on my neck. Pretty sure it's from the XTG pass.

No nicks: 4.8
No irritation: 3
Closeness: 5
Smoothness: 4.8
Total: 8.8

There was 1 silver lining to the Covid shave: I couldn't smell the Arko.

View attachment 1207024
Take care & best wishes to you from far-away...I am sure with all the shave gears around, you will have enough motivation to beat the virus...after all, that Arko takes at least 1 year to finish not to mention others...🖖

GMUK
Razor: Ever Ready Featherweight
Blade: Personna PTFE (6)
Brush: Yaqi synthetic 28mm
Soap: Signature Soaps Capra
Rating: 10

BBS, no irritation, nicks or weepers. A very good shave and the blade still seems to have good life in it.
A couple of hours after this morning's shave I took delivery of a brass MMOC! No prizes for
guessing what I'll be using tomorrow...

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Tue, Jan 12th 2021

Razor: Gem Junior Parade with the taper handle :001_wub: -MFG 1943, Excellent mid range razor, one of my favorites.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (10) excellent blade, Very sharp, excellent longevity + smooths out nicely & predictable.
Soap: Gillette True cream- nice fragrance with great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi tuxedo 24mm knot with black handle with black marble handle, excellent lather creator with cloud like soft tips, good scrub & painter of lather.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Emperor after shave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:Excellent shave with my Gem Jr Parade with a Gem coated blade.

SOTD-Tue Jan12th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

SOTD, Tue, Jan 12th 2021

Razor: Gem Junior Parade with the taper handle :001_wub: -MFG 1943, Excellent mid range razor, one of my favorites.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (10) excellent blade, Very sharp, excellent longevity + smooths out nicely & predictable.
Soap: Gillette True cream- nice fragrance with great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi tuxedo 24mm knot with black handle with black marble handle, excellent lather creator with cloud like soft tips, good scrub & painter of lather.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Emperor after shave with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:Excellent shave with my Gem Jr Parade with a Gem coated blade.

SOTD-Tue Jan12th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

awesome apparatus!!!!!

camo

J.R. Torrey Co.
WK Chypre Rose Concerto
Semogue 1305
Tony Miller Strop
Jnat Shobu Finish
WK Chypre Rose Concerto AS splash

20210112_103512.jpg

2nd day of COVID quarantine. this razor is a puzzler and kinda ticks/honks me off. mass produced American blade. No exaggeration, I would put this specific razors blade and edge up against any of the fine razors in my stable.......and that's saying a lot.

be well all. hanging on........ and hanging in there with Faith.

camo

Razor: AutoStrop Valet - VB1 (1921-1929)
Blade: AutoStrop - “Valet” (Vintage) (4)
Brush: Yaqi - Purple Mink
Pre-Shave: Face Wash & Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Barrister & Mann - Hallows (Soft Heart)
Aftershave: PAA - Malbolge
BEBCCE15-E01B-4E30-9EBD-68D83C94BE67.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.8/10
Full Circle...Back to the Beginning
Fourth shave for this vintage “Valet” blade. I started with the VB1 then VC4, VC2 and now back to the VB1.
The original first shave with this blade in the VB1 was not nice at all. It was too uncomfortable to even try for DFS, so I quite after an LGFTR (looks good from the road).
After being stropped and broken in by a couple different models, I stropped it twenty more times and took it for an encore shave in the VB1. Okay! Much better, but still a more agressive feeling shave than I get from the V2,V3 and V4 models. I’ll still have to try the B1 model that has an even older blade stop design.
The audible feedback is much more noticeable on the VB1, and I could tell it was giving me a more agressive super close shave . Post shave skin has that tingling feeling you get from a close shave. I can already tell that tomorrow morning my face will still feel BBS...a sure sign of superior closeness.
Im going to assume the VC1 razor has the same agression level as it is the same razor except for the stropping roller in the back being replaced by a solid bar.
Over all a much improved shave. I’m going to continue testing this blade on more Valet models and repeating shaves on others.

Be curious...but safe.

cartoon1610407582122.jpg

Razor: Rex Supply Ambassador
Blade: The Blade (Personna) Stainless Steel
Brush: Frank Shaving G4 Synthetic striped handle
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Long Rifle Bay Rhum
Aftershave: Long Rifle Bay Rhum Shave Tonic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder

Top Bottom