What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

1610817445242.jpeg

Brush: Oumo 24mm Manchurian SHD
Soap: Zingari Man - The Watchman
Razor: Razorock MJ-90A
Blade: Voskhod

10/10: Had to rush things quite a bit this morning. No problem.

Razor: AutoStrop Valet VB2 (1927-1937?)
Blade: AutoStrop - “Valet” (Vintage) (5)
Brush: Dscosmetic - Lennon/Sinatra handle & Oumo Knot
Pre-Shave: Face Wash & Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Highland Springs Soap Co(HSSC): Barber Shop
Aftershave: HSSC Barber shop (Splash)
E6B1215A-D2DB-404C-A188-BCCE74FC4DBF.jpeg
Shave Rating: 9.9/10
...and the winner is...

An absolutely wonderful, smooth and close, two pass BBS this morning shaving with my VB2.
I gave the vintage “Valet” blade ten strops a side before taking it out for its fifth facial adventure in an AutoStrop. This blade just keeps getting smoother and smoother.

Because shaving and shave gear is so subjective, I don’t like assume something that is good for me will be good for someone else, but today I’ll go out on a limb.
For a while now I’ve been experimenting with all the various models of Autostrop razors and blades that can be adapted. My initial statement is that the “2” series Valets (VB2, VC2) are far smoother shavers than their “1” series brethren (B1, VB1, VC1). Obviously Autostrop‘s retooling for a new model would not intend for it to give a worse shave. It’s all a matter of the design and positioning of the blade stops.
“1”series are definitely more agressive and can be pretty grabby and tuggy on a blades maiden shave. They do smooth out after the blade is broken in, but not as nice as the “2” series valets.

Onward ho ouchyfoot! My next quest is to determine which is smoother (to me), VC3 open comb or VC4 solid bar. They are both the same razors except for the comb and bar. Let me at em!

Keep your eye on you nose!

16012021 - Birthday Shave

View attachment 1209300

Proraso Pre White | Yaqi Lucky Dice | Stirling Noir Soap | Merkur Progress + Voskhod | Aloe Vera gel | Stirling Noir A S

I let the stubble grow for 72h to have a top shave. I'm turning 30 and I thought a lucky dice for the Progress would have been a nice touch ahah :D

3 passes + touch-ups, super bbs

9.5/10
Happy Birthday. Hope it’s a good one!

Today's shave

USA: Gillette Pre-War Fat Handle Tech
India: Gillette 7 O'Clock Black SP (7)
USA: Mike's Orange, Cedarwood and Black Pepper
China: Yaqi 24mm Purple Haze Mew Brown synthetic
USA: Pinaud Clubman Citrus Musk

Rating: 10/10

Had a great BBS shave this AM. Now to do some cleaning and then sit down to an afternoon of NFL playoff games!

Saturday shave from earlier this morning- superb two-pass, with touch up, 10/10, like glass result, no nicks, two tiny weepers, no irritation.

Razor: Feather AC SS Japanese style-
this SS is just fun to use
Blade: Proline P-30 (1)- new blade, these when new seem to give me a slightly harsh first pass, then smooth out.
Brush: Zenith Euro boar- This is another of the basic budget brushes I've been trying. First shave, so we'll see how it breaks in. The Zenith P2 with a teak handle has been surprisingly nice. I forgot to include the brush in the photo, duh!
Soap: B&M Classic Reserve- After reading a few posts in another thread I thought I may have been over-loading this soap. I got a nice lather today, but did need to go back to the puck for more soap before touching up. Probably still me getting the hang of this soap, or the new little boar not being broken in yet. Nice and slick lather, and a good post-shave feel.
Post shave: cool rinse, alum on the weeper, then a healthy splash of vintage Avon Wild Country AS in the old-timey radio bottle.

May the slick be with you!

PXL_20210116_195501258.jpg

My Saturday Afternoon Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
Two pass shave: WTG, ATG/XTG​
Razor: T. The Aiku'M No. 60 - 6/8"​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Blue Cream, Aloe & Vitamin E​
Brush: Elite Razor Waterfall Bubinga w/ 26mm High Mountain White – Fan​
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh Shaving Soap​
After Shave Splash: Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh Aftershave Splash - Alcohol and Menthol Free​
Aftershave Balm: Murphy & McNeil Crann Bethadh Aftershave Balm​
9.2/10 No nicks! No irritation! Some feedback with my splash...
  • A very enjoyable shave!
  • This is my most photogenic brush and I failed to get a picture today....

Razor: AutoStrop Valet VB2 (1927-1937?)
Blade: AutoStrop - “Valet” (Vintage) (5)
Brush: Dscosmetic - Lennon/Sinatra handle & Oumo Knot
Pre-Shave: Face Wash & Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Highland Springs Soap Co(HSSC): Barber Shop
Aftershave: HSSC Barber shop (Splash)
View attachment 1209384Shave Rating: 9.9/10
...and the winner is...

An absolutely wonderful, smooth and close, two pass BBS this morning shaving with my VB2.
I gave the vintage “Valet” blade ten strops a side before taking it out for its fifth facial adventure in an AutoStrop. This blade just keeps getting smoother and smoother.

Because shaving and shave gear is so subjective, I don’t like assume something that is good for me will be good for someone else, but today I’ll go out on a limb.
For a while now I’ve been experimenting with all the various models of Autostrop razors and blades that can be adapted. My initial statement is that the “2” series Valets (VB2, VC2) are far smoother shavers than their “1” series brethren (B1, VB1, VC1). Obviously Autostrop‘s retooling for a new model would not intend for it to give a worse shave. It’s all a matter of the design and positioning of the blade stops.
“1”series are definitely more agressive and can be pretty grabby and tuggy on a blades maiden shave. They do smooth out after the blade is broken in, but not as nice as the “2” series valets.

Onward ho ouchyfoot! My next quest is to determine which is smoother (to me), VC3 open comb or VC4 solid bar. They are both the same razors except for the comb and bar. Let me at em!

Keep your eye on you nose!

Shouldn't that be a Jackson/McCartney handle?

And how is the HSSC Barbershop scent compared to other well know barbershop scents (Fine, PAA, ect)

- Prep: Shower
- Brush: Simpson Colonel X2L
- Razor: Merkur Progress
- Blade: Personna Barber (1)
- Soap: Stirling Green
- Aftershave: Stirling Green
- Post Shave: Alum block and Thayers Rose

Good shave but I nicked my Adam’s apple like a dummy. Totally user error. I find the Progress to be very aggressive. Even on 2.5-3. Nice razor but can give me irritation (like today).

I forgot how strong the Stirling Green AS splash is. Wow. Likely the strongest I own. It acts like an AS on the face but the scent lasts for hours like a cologne. Great Polo dupe though. My wife asked me if I was going to the club. Use sparingly!

Not much to say about the Simpson Colonel. Anyone looking for a great best badger for under $50, the Colonel is likely the best place to start.

8.5/10

Saturday evening shave
Timeless SS .95 Scalloped Razor
Polsilver (3) Blade
MDC Argumes Soap
Australian Mallee Burl Wood, with a 24mm SHD , 2 Band from Maggard
Captains Copper Lather Bowl
AS Pinaud Clubman

Really getting used to the. .95 base the blade feel is just enough, but firmly held

Also really enjoying my rotation of soaps, all lather easily and leave a slick service.

I am pretty this is the same for everyone, my face is the smoothest about 30 to 40 minutes after shaving.

9.8/10
Have a great evening and Sunday
6F2C2CBB-C9B6-4698-930D-02AEB98A2D84.jpeg

Top Bottom