What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I didn't shave today... (GASP)

After some discussion, going for the "stubble" look along with the doorknocker beard. Figure I've got about 5 more days of no shaving until I gotta figure out how to keep the stubble--er--stubbly.
Filarmonica 13
Tabac
Semogue1460
Miller Strop
Tabac AS
Tabac EDC

20200812_061049.jpg

Tabac, tabac every where,
And all the boards did shrink;
(Coleridge adaptation)

be well all.

camo

Nice brush!

JCarr

Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum soap
Soap: Captain's Choice Nor'Easter
Brush: No-name synthetic
Razor: Timeless SS .68 w/scalloped head & base with Blackland Dart handle
Blade: German Wilkinson Sword (2)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Captain's Choice Nor'Easter

There is nothing to report. The Timeless takes its seat upon the throne. No cuts, nicks, weepers or irritation. Very near a BBS shave. Still doing the 4-pass, 2xWTG and 2xATG. Works like a champ. Captain's Choice Nor'Easter is good stuff all around, soap and splash. Soap is easy to wip up and it protects well. Smells great. Menthol in splash feels good and, unlike other aftershaves with menthol, it actually gives the scent character. In the drydown, the menthol fades nicely.

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

Kit 20200812.jpg

Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum soap
Soap: Captain's Choice Nor'Easter
Brush: No-name synthetic
Razor: Timeless SS .68 w/scalloped head & base with Blackland Dart handle
Blade: German Wilkinson Sword (2)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: Captain's Choice Nor'Easter

There is nothing to report. The Timeless takes its seat upon the throne. No cuts, nicks, weepers or irritation. Very near a BBS shave. Still doing the 4-pass, 2xWTG and 2xATG. Works like a champ. Captain's Choice Nor'Easter is good stuff all around, soap and splash. Soap is easy to wip up and it protects well. Smells great. Menthol in splash feels good and, unlike other aftershaves with menthol, it actually gives the scent character. In the drydown, the menthol fades nicely.

Happy Shaves, Everyone!

View attachment 1138618
Ah I can’t decide if I want to try CC Nor’easter or Stirlings Lemon Chill. I’m onboard with a menthol soap now given the oppressive humidity we have on the East Coast. Just can’t decide which one to choose.

Daily Shave: 12 August 2020

DSCF2206.JPG

Prep: Lectric Shave
Razor: Viking Chieftain
Brush: Omega 11126
Blade: Gillette 7 O’clock Green Blade #2 Shave #6 (WTG & ATG) buffing A/R
Soap: Van der Hagen deluxe -- using distilled water and Campbell’s soup container
A / S: Old Spice Classic
Rating: 9.5 DFS A good shave with what feels like a blade beginning to dull. However, I had, no nicks or weepers, and only minimal stubble to buff off.

JCarr

Ah I can’t decide if I want to try CC Nor’easter or Stirlings Lemon Chill. I’m onboard with a menthol soap now given the oppressive humidity we have on the East Coast. Just can’t decide which one to choose.

Lemon Chill sounds nice! Stirling makes some great scents. I have only a few aftershaves with menthol, but Nor'Easter is the only one where the menthol compliments the scent until it fades out and leaves just the scent.

Lemon Chill sounds nice! Stirling makes some great scents. I have only a few aftershaves with menthol, but Nor'Easter is the only one where the menthol compliments the scent until it fades out and leaves just the scent.
Appreciate the insight, especially on the AS. I guess my only path is the very popular, yet debt inducing solution of buying both. 😂😭

Razor: Valet Autostrop VC1 (1922-1929?)
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE Modified (1st)
Brush: FS 28mm G4 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Face Scrub, Thayers, Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Saponificio Bignoli -Mora E Muschio
Aftershave: Extro Cosmesi -Vaniglia
Extra: Stirling Frost Drops
D7E54509-8C3D-4F45-A018-F7D06332B84C.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.9/10
The Roaring Twenties are Alive and Well in my Bathroom!
I just love shaving with these Autostrop razors. I realize they look a little intimidating, like something out of the Spanish Inquisition, but they really produce an excellent shave. My previous shaves were with a VC4 Valet and a Feather FHS-10 blade, so this was my first shave with the older original VC1 Valet using a modified Ted Pella Personna blade. (Thanks Ron R for the advice) A trouble free, close BBS with no surprises. I love how close I can get up to my nose with these razors.
These Personna blades are known to be a little rough for the first couple of shaves, but I didn’t have any post shave burn or irritation. I think experience and muscle memory kicked in from my last blade Personna that Went 10 shaves with 6 different GEM razors. I believe constantly using different razor, blade and soap combos makes you a better shaver.

I got some of those frost drops and added them to my aftershave. I’m new to using them and think I went a little overboard and darn near froze my face off.
Stay Safe, wear a mask and really enjoy the scent of your aftershave.

P.S. I know it’s Shark Week, but my Shark blade took one look at that razor and ran away.

Last edited:
8/11/20 SOTD

RFB #44 (3 piece)
Lab Blue
Ethos Melange d'agrumes
Ethos Custom Aroma
Graydog Black Walnut w/ Maggards 26mm SHD
Thayers
Ethos Melange d'agrumes skin food splash

An absolutely stellar shave using my new Ethos products for the first time. I'll use them for several shaves then do a write-up. But for now, I can say Ethos has the best base in the marketplace, IMHO. And pair the RFB, Personna Lab Blue, & Graydog brush, it's a wonderful day in the neighborhood!

10/10
View attachment 1138367
When I saw your new shipment of goodies arrive I was waiting for the change-up from your usual Lavender.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD,Wed, Aug 12th 2020

Razor: Razorock game changer .84- MFG 2018>
Blade: Kai SS (6) Sharp & smooth extra wide(.009 thousands) for better blade exposure.
Soap: Razorock XXX- Fresh Scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush:Razorock Plissoft 24 mm- Great little brush for making lather from any type of soap, good splay,good scrub & soft tip whiskers.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave :Razorock The Dead Sea aftershave with witch Hazel + dollop of Nivea balm on beard area.
Results: 9.5/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no weepers + no irritation = :thumbup: Excellent shave with my RR GC .84 with a Kai SS blade.

DE SOTD WED Aug 12th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves!Stay safe in these times!

Razor: 1960 Gillette Fatboy; adjustable set to 7 today
Blade: US Personna Lab Blue, in blue wrapper, before they switched to plain white a couple years ago (shave #2)
Brush: RazoRock Barber 24 synthetic
Soap: Stirling Texas on Fire
Rating: 9.0

Last night's shave on a day and a half of growth. Another easy BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes without any tugging or pulling (and I still have near BBS over 12 hours later) - but lots of burn during the shave, and four or five nicks. So I deducted one point from the rating today. I forgot to dial the adjustment back to 6 or 5 like I had planned to do; I hope I remember before next time.

While not my favorite scent from Stirling it is the best performing soap for protection and that THICK lather. I haven't splashed Bay Rum all summer and it was time today.

Depending on where you stand if it was good or bad but it is on pretty heavy today. I am now 4 hours post shave and getting told I smell like cinnamon. The combo of Clubman BR and Stirling EDT appear to be a good combo if your into this. I also maybe got carried away with the edt. I knew I was gonna spray 2 pumps but not much came out on the first 2. So 2 more came out. All though I smell the Clubman more. Maybe I got some up my nose?

:)

Overall the shave was what we all hope for. Smooth, BBS and no irritation.

9.2/10

KM

IMG_20200812_063522.jpg

Razor: Valet Autostrop VC1 (1922-1929?)
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE Modified (1st)
Brush: FS 28mm G4 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Face Scrub, Thayers, Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Saponificio Bignoli -Mora E Muschio
Aftershave: Extro Cosmesi -Vaniglia
Extra: Stirling Frost Drops
View attachment 1138673
Shave Rating: 9.9/10
The Roaring Twenties are Alive and Well in my Bathroom!
I just love shaving with these Autostrop razors. I realize they look a little intimidating, like something out of the Spanish Inquisition, but they really produce an excellent shave. My previous shaves were with a VC4 Valet and a Feather FHS-10 blade, so this was my first shave with the older original VC1 Valet using a modified Ted Pella Personna blade. (Thanks Ron R for the advice) A trouble free, close BBS with no surprises. I love how close I can get up to my nose with these razors.
These Personna blades are known to be a little rough for the first couple of shaves, but I didn’t have any post shave burn or irritation. I think experience and muscle memory kicked in from my last blade Personna that Went 10 shaves with 6 different GEM razors. I believe constantly using different razor, blade and soap combos makes you a better shaver.

I got some of those frost drops and added them to my aftershave. I’m new to using them and think I went a little overboard and darn near froze my face off.
Stay Safe, wear a mask and really enjoy the scent of your aftershave.

P.S. I know it’s Shark Week, but my Shark blade took one look at that razor and ran away.
I read your shave after I looked at the razor you used, and put my eyes back in my head. Intimidating is not the word I would use. That is a scary looking razor.

🦈 🦈 🦈 🦈 SHARK WEEK 🦈 🦈 🦈 🦈

Razor: Timeless Bronze TRBR38
Blade: Shark Super Chrome
Brush: Simpson's Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso Red
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Aftershave: Duke Cannon Supply Company Ice Cold Balm
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating Ten
20200811_093424.jpg