What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

My supplier got some of these soaps in so I looked them up in the forums and everything I read said to stay away from this brand. So I didn’t purchase any.

yep that's exactly what I read too. it sucks.

for SR shaving that requires more h20 added.....its wonderfull to me. but honestly i find it well enough that I would definately use it with other types of razors if i used them any more.

ymmv

the post shave to me is the best I've seen yet.....I imagine its due to the oils used or heck maybe it's one of those odd ducks that just agrees with my skin????

I ordered the R`OS just earlier. allegedly captured rose scent inspired by New York Botanical Gardens.......

camo

Razor: Gillette 1960 F4 Fatboy Adjustable
Blade: Shark Super Stainless
Brush: Supply Silvertip Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Cremo Brushless Shaving Cream
Lather: Soap Smooth Barbershop
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder

This was my first shave with Shark blades. I found the Lord SS to be horrible and feared that these would be the same. Not so! With the Fatboy on six it rendered a near BBS shave with no irritation or blood. No aftershave burn, either.
20200320_100122.jpg

Back after a week of vacation in a cabin with HARD water. Scaled up my razor and even skipped two days of shaving and used an electric one day as well.

Today was back at home and grabbed a razor and used the blade that was in it. No idea how many shaves on it. I used to not like menthol, now I am putting it in about every soap.

A very nice shave with soft water again.

8.6/10

KM

IMG_20200627_111434~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Vector, 1st shave
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild, 1st shave
Soap: Hotel De L'Europe, I mean, Synergy
Brush: Paladin "Moe is their leader," 28mm
AS: C Lux Unconditional Surrender

9 out of 10

Notes: 1st shave ever with an SE, and OMG. Shane has done it again. I am enamored with Blackland razors! Now...can someone suggest to me how I remove the blade from this thing without slicing my fingers up? Talk about tight tolerances! I got a close to BBS shave with 2 passes and a touch-up. I LOVE this razor. I also love my Blackbird. Hope you and yours are well.

IMG_2067.jpg

My Saturday Afternoon Shave
First Pass WTG
Razor: ERN 1915 SR​
Second Pass ATG / XTG
Razor: Gillette Fat Handle Tech (First time using this razor!)​
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)​
Pre-Pre-Shave: Suave Ocean Breeze hair conditioner in the shower
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter
Brush: WSP The "Duchess" White in Silvertip
Soap: Col Conk Amber Glycerine
After Shave: Proraso Red Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter
Rating: 9.9/10
  • Overall a very close shave. Not BBS, but close though. Can't say DFS, because of the roughness of the second pass. But I can say DFS for my first pass!
  • Major score deduction for the second pass. This is the second time that I have had roughness issues with an vintage plate razor ATG with the Nacet blade first use. Both times it was the first time ever using the razor (you would think I would learn). The strange part is, it didn't feel aggressive or rough, but the nicks and weepers were aplenty when I was done. Plus there was some razor burn afterwards...
  • Major score addition for my first pass, negating the major deduction for my second pass! My SR journey continues. I had an excellent first pass with the ERN. This is a culmination of my shaving technique improving and my stropping technique improving! It went so well that I did a complete rinse for my second pass, just because I wanted to see how it went. It was very even and smooth. I would have been ecstatic if this had been my shavette, but for it to be an SR that I have been experimenting my stropping on - Yeeha!
proxy.php

Last edited:
yep that's exactly what I read too. it sucks.

for SR shaving that requires more h20 added.....its wonderfull to me. but honestly i find it well enough that I would definately use it with other types of razors if i used them any more.

ymmv

the post shave to me is the best I've seen yet.....I imagine its due to the oils used or heck maybe it's one of those odd ducks that just agrees with my skin????

I ordered the R`OS just earlier. allegedly captured rose scent inspired by New York Botanical Gardens.......

camo

after researching further.......I cant believe i missed this little clue?

tell me this gent might not have a preference toward SR's!!!!

20200627_200716.jpg

symbol should look somewhat familiar or perhaps similar to some!!!!

camo

Saturday night shave

Didn’t have time to post this up yesterday as I’d spent too long in the shower and enjoying the shave so had to get dressed and out. The name of the cream/soap I used was very apt seeing as I was pushed for time!

Prep: A longer than usual shower (cooling off from the humidity), Boots’ Cucumber facial wash and scrub

Razor: Merkur Futur

Blade: Feather (3)

Brush: Cyril R Salter Pure Badger

Soap/ Cream: Goodfellas Smile Chronos

Post-shave: Proraso Aftershave Lotion and Nivea Sensitive Post-Shave Balm

Rating: 10/10

3E1ABF07-E1CC-4F2A-A1FA-CB2FC6CE1B4C.jpeg

Chronos from Goodfellas Smile is another fine product. It’s labelled a soap on some of the websites I’ve seen it on but seems closer to a cream in consistency to me. The scent is fantastic and it lathers up a treat. Very slick too with all those oils in the ingredients. One website suggests the scent is inspired by Invictus (Paco Rabanne).
I’d recommend trying at least one Goodfellas Smile soap if you haven’t already - Chronos is my fourth and I have two more waiting.
Liked the Futur with the Feather blade today. No nicks on setting 6!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave 20200627
20200627_140453~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Sabre L2
Blade: Ted Pella Personna GEM (1)
Brush: @Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive w/24mm Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougère
Post-shave: Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Reuzel
Cologne: Classic Match Eau de Toilette Spray, version of Polo

WTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The @Blackland Razors Sabre L2 remains (along with the GEM Featherweight Deluxe and the GEM Jr. G Bar) at the top of my GEM bladed razors. It is a luxurious razor, elegant in every way, and has a permanent place in my Den.

The Sabre L2 provides a smooth, luxurious, elegant and very pleasurable shave! :)

Sun 28 SOTD
Soap RazoRock Blue BarberShop 1st Use
Bowl Timeless
Brush DS Cosmetics 26mm 2 Band Badger
Razor RazoRock German 37 Slant
Blade Feather 5th
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Gatsby Splash
Good creamy & slick lather from the soap but scent is abit mild and not really my type...for now.
Shave with razor paired with blade feels really smooth and comfortable. Feather blade is truly the sharpest. Can feel it mowing down stubbles even at the most difficult area without any tugs & skips. Despite being very careful with pressure and angle...absolutely cannot make even the slightest mistake while using a Feather! Caught a nick when mistakenly put the razor against the skin at wrong angle. Mysterious weepers too. 3+1 multiple passes and inspite of mistakes...one of the closest shave. Rating 8/10 eventhough a BBS result.
20200628_102912.jpg

20200628_110827.jpg

Soap: Wilby Vetiver Lime Sec
Brush: Omega Evo
Razor: Muhle R89 Twist
Blade: GSB
AS: Dickinson's Witch Hazel

No scent when I'm baking...

What is Wilby Vetiver Lime Sec? It's a puck of Williams and a stick of Derby melted in a double boiler for about 20 minutes then whipped in with lime, bay, cinnamon oils and then about 15 squirts of Guerlain Vetiver and just a hint of Creed Green Irish Tweed.... 4 squirts this time. I love the slickness of William's but the lather is tough to build, (though you can if you work at it) and I love the lather of the Turkish sticks, but they can be a little tough to rinse and the slickness, while good, is not amazing and the scent is utilitarian. But Wilby is great. It's slick, builds lather that looks like expensive restaurant whipped cream, and has a fresh pleasant smell that is sort of like a high end version of Pinaud Lime Sec. A bit fresher, lighter, and more natural. Because it's so inexpensive, I load it like I hate it and as a result, I love it. 8+

24-hour beard

Postwar fat-handled Tech in gold; Feather blade (3)

TOBS Peppermint cream

APShaveCo tuxedo synthetic brush

No shower; hot towel to face; lather up and let it sit for the usual 3 minutes; then 1 pass on cheeks and lower lip, 2 on throat. Stirling SDM aftershave, no-name skin lotion, and Clubman powder. The whole thing took approximately 10 minutes. If I want, I could do this every workday when I start back at my office, and have an excellent shave. A 9.3.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
- Clinique for men exfoliating tonic
- Nuage Men Pre-Shave oil with menthol
- Proraso Green

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Jack Black Protein Booster Skin Serum
- Hawkins & Brimble Elemi and Ginseng balm
- Jack Black Double Duty SPF Moisturiser

Tools
- Edwin Jagger DE86
- Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow (4)
- Edwin Jagger EJ286 Synthetic

Shave Rating: 8/10
Fourth and final shave with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow. Single pass Sunday to stay presentable before heading out. Nice smooth shave again with no irritation or feedback from the alum block. The blade still feels sharp enough for a fourth use (albeit only a single pass). I am also liking the combination of the Nuage menthol with Proraso Green.

Sunday Daily Shave: 28 June 2020

DSCF2153.JPG

Prep
: Face wash with antibacterial soap
Razor: Viking Chieftain
Brush: Omega 11126
Blade: Astra Sp (# 3 and out) 2 passes + extensive buffing
Soap: Van der Hagen deluxe Using rain water and salsa bowl
A / S: Old Spice Classic
Rating: 8.5 / 10.0 A CAS quality shave with a dulling blade.

Sunday shave top.jpg

Sunday’s Shave

Today I used my UK Aristocrat razor with a Dorco st300 platinum blade for the 2nd shave. I love the razor, but this is one blade I will not reorder. The soap is PAA Big Shave Southwest -CK6– an excellent soap. The brush is a Paladin Chief. I did my usual four-pass shave on my face and two-pass on my head. The aftershave was Thayers Rose Petal WH and Clubman. The fragrance was Yves Saint Laurent. A good shave. 9.5/10.

Top Bottom