What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Dr Shea Black Soap
- Castle Forbes Pre-shave Balm
- Stirling Dunshire Shaving Soap (sample)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Osma Alum Block
- Sukin Blemish Pore Perfecting Toner
- The Ordinary Skin Serums
- L'Occitane Eau De Cedrat After Shave Cream Gel
- Jack Black Double-Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- Karve Christopher Bradley Brass (D Plate)
- Sainsbury's Men Advance DE Blade (2)
- Omega Pro 108
- Steve Woodhead Pottery Suribachi Lather Scuttle

Fragrance for the day
- Davidoff Cool Water Celebration Edition EDT

Shave Rating 8.5/10.
My second shave with the Sainsburys own brand Dorco today.

2634E97C-711E-43C3-BF65-F66726A97D9F.jpeg

Saturday, May 27th, 2023
Got the day started with a couple of hours in the sun at the neighborhood pool. First time really trying to get some sun this year.

Still developing a baseline for the new blades and razors I bought over the last several weeks. Even though the Merkur Futur started off, this elevation of my shaving, I hadn't paired it with a DOVO blade yet. I was not disappointed.

Sunshine and hot shower with soap.
Prorasso Red pre-shave cream.
Another round with the Derby Premium tub. I have little experience with shaving soaps. This stuff is performing well for me.
The Derby lathered great and went on with warm Omega boar brush.
Setting 2+ on the Futur and a fresh DOVO blade.

One and a half pass today, and it was excellent!
One pass down the face and all the way down my neck. Could have stopped there!
My neck had little stubble left, so chose to do another pass from jawline down neck.

Cold water rinse. Started cleaning up and putting stuff away. Used the alum, tiny sting on my neck in a couple spots.
Man, it felt good at this point! Continued clean up.

Rinsed my face off. Let it air dry. Applied the LEA aftershave. Still liking that stuff. The smell and after-feel are great.

Total 10/10. Damn fine shave, I am pleased.

20230526_090647.jpg

Razor: Gillette 1974 U2 Trac II TwinJector
Blade: Schick Super II
Brush: The CaYuen Workshop Candy Cane in HD Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Noble Otter Lone Star
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
I got surprisingly good results with three passes, lots of clogging, though.

I’ve really come to appreciate the R89 after writing it off years ago. I get the best overall shaves with it. I can buff and buff (if need be) without any fear of irritation. With a RazoRock handle it’s the bees knees. Goes great with a Personna blade (3).

Canada Shave Soap…what more needs to be said? Top tier for sure.

Stirling’s Bay Rum is one of my favourite BR scents and this Dubl Duck by Heritage is the brush I use the most.

IMG_7694.jpeg

SV Saturday

View attachment 1661178

P/S: GD Pre-shave, unscented
Razor: Lambda Athena
Blade: Gillette Super Stainless (1)
Brush: SV 30mm Badger
P/S: GD Pre-shave, unscented
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
A/S: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary

9.999/10

If it wasn't for a tiny rough patch on my chin I had to buff out this would have been my first "perfect" two pass DFS+ shave. Now that I'm starting to get the Athena's strokes figured out I'm experiencing that marble face feeling more and more.

Like so many have mentioned, it's nice to be able to use the sound of the razor's slicing to help fine tune the razor's angle mid-stroke. Someone described that sound as "buttering toast" and I think that's a perfect comparison. I've found that the Athena rewards minimal pressure and a slow stroke - going slowly seems key to how the Athena's geometry works.

I think SV 70th Annv. is my favorite soap scent right now :hips: It's simultaneously sophisticated and playful. For me it evokes forest skiing at high altitude - maybe with some James Bond villains in pursuit.

Have a great weekend my friends!
Beautiful write up.

Love the scent description.

But now, I’m wondering “which” James Bond?

SOTD MAY 27th
May 2023 GRUME
Modern May 2023

Hello friends,

Saturday is the day I care the most about shaving. It's usually when I test new combinations. Today's was amazing: Mike's Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper, with Floïd Suave and EDT Terre d'Hermès. Sublime!

I resorted to my usual Saturday razor, Green Cult 2.0 plate IV with my favorite blade, Gillette Nacet (5) and the best-spent $10 of my life: Omega 48 Pro.

Frank was with us, of course.

Rating: 10

Have a nice weekend and great shaves.
❤️🪒

View attachment 1661229
View attachment 1661230
Awesome picture, it perfectly captures an image of a shave well done that can be enjoyed throughout the day.

Razor: Henson ++
Brush: Synthetic Rockwell, don’t know the model
Blade: Nacet (2)
Cream: eShave white tea
AS: eShave white tea balm
Score: 7/10

I’m really, really new to DE shaving (about 2 months) and I’m just starting to get decent shaves. Today I used eShave cream for the second time and it’s really good stuff. Once you dial it in, it provides great cushion, comfort and slickness. Did two passes WTG (sensible skin, been battling with irritation from the start) and got a decent shave. No cuts or nicks, a bit of a razor burn, but that’s from yesterday, when my first attempt with eShave sucked. I’ll stick to this gear for a couple of weeks until I get the hang of it. Thanks

99888223-4CE8-40B6-83D9-D8A9E4270110.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20230526_135352~2.jpg

Razor: Colonial Razors The General V2 (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (9)
Brush: @Rudy Vey 2022 B&B Contributors Brush (Mühle 25mm STF knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: WSP Formula T Tobacco
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

Superb DFS+++ shave! :cool:

Please visit my Journal (link below) for shave notes and musings: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12258660

Date27.05.2023
365 daily shaves / GRUYERE147/365 (100%)
147/363 (99%)
GRUME May / Soap of the Month Club(SOTMC)
27/29 (94%)
27/31 (100%)
Modern May22/31
(84%)

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda Athena
001_wub.gif

Gillette Black (19)Zenith 502B XSE
001_wub.gif
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Haslinger
Sandelholz
WTG
XTG
ATG
1. Cold splash
2. KCG Face Wash
3. Proraso Green preshave

4. Cold splash
5. Aftershave
6. Balm

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality
8/10 (~20 m)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to these shaves:

Another top tier shave with the Athena. Maybe faintly less than yesterday, but there was also less stubble to deal with than yesterday. The blade continues to perform so I will grant its 20 shave as well and we’ll see what tomorrow brings after that.

For extended notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Sunday morning. Warmer than yesterday, but not as bright.

Vintage T. R. Cadman & Sons 6/8 round point straight razor
Edwin Jagger Silvertip Fibre synthetic brush
Razorock XXX Fresco
Vintage (1980s) Shulton Old Spice (white stopper)

I'm on something of a mission to notch up at least ten shaves on everything - couple more goes with this one and we'll be there for the vintage straights (assuming I don't see anything else I fancy before then).

Screenshot from 2023-05-28 10-41-52.png

Very soft feel to the brush - I used to think I could put synthetic brushes into a badger/synth/horse/boar continuum in terms of softness versus rigidity, but there's that much variety in synths these days they cover all points. This one's softer than any of the badgers in the cupboard, while the original Kent Infinity sits on the stiff side of the boars.

Good soap for a warm morning, and the glass jar is a nice touch. Hot flannel rather than post shower shave - I'll call it a "9" today.

Top Bottom