What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

October 23rd, a very nice Sunday shave; two passes with some cleanup and stretching yielded a 9/10, DFS result, with no mishaps:

Razor: RR Eco- 1/2 DE blade razor
Blade: Timor (2)- on edge 2- part of the Discovery Adventure three-blade challenge
Lather: Canada Shave Soap- delightful lather
Brush: Omega Jade boar

Enjoy what's left of your weekend!

PXL_20221023_163311573_2.jpg

R41/Chubby 2 SHAVE

Three days whiskers

Pre-Shave:

- Hot Shower

- Proraso: Pre-Shave Cream Cypress & Vetyver

Soap: Proraso Sapone da Barba Rinfrescante (tube cream)

Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Butterscotch Superbadger 27 mm Knot -

I have four Simpson's in my den. With my favorite hair grades' from the brand: Best, Superbadger and Manchurian.
This time I picked up this beauty, the CH2 Butterscotch Manchurian. And even made a family photo, from left to right: CH3 Manchurian, CH2 Superbadger, COMMODORE X3 Best, M7 Manchurian. The hair grade is one of the most personal things to happen in wetshaving.

About this CH2 Superbadger...

I face lathered with it. It has this hybrid loft, typical from Simpson's. Which facilitates both ways one chooses to lather up.
Many people criticizes the Superbadger grade from this brand: hair much too thin, high density that promotes poor flow-through and lather-hogging, excessiveness of badger feeling "wall of badger", immoderate splay, lack of backbone, high soap consumption, too short of a handle etc, etc.
Well, I love my Butterscotch, great classic.With all its imperfections.

Considerations:

1) The sorting of the knot looks very, very good.

2) The delicacy of the skin contact is similar to that of a silvertip. At least for me I can't actually feel much difference from "real silvertips" I do have.

3) The density and the big knot diameter affect negatively flow-through of course, yet with time I've learned to overcome this. When I load the brush wether with cream or hard soap - I think for this hair grade is better cream - I milk the brush at the middle of the process and at the end to get soap concentrated in the upper middle level of the loft. I do the same when I apply the lather on my face.
So the lather hogging is prevented and surpassed.

4) The breaking in process of CH2 Superbadger is very fast: only 2 or 3 uses.

5) The backbone is good for a three band brush because of the knot diameter, effective loft and density displayed. The same happens with the splay which for me is good and affected by the same variants.

6) I never treat my brushes as fried eggs. I never pushed them all the way down, but maybe only one third or perhaps half. Smashing the loft too hard against one's face that yes really affects flow-through and can break the bristles.

7) If I didn't like the wall of badger feeling I'd have never purchased this guy. Because that was precisely what I was going after when I got it.

8) The detailed lathering on narrow surfaces as mustache area are cautioned by pinching the loft and narrowing it. So I think that is a false flag.

9) For me there's no lofts much too big. In matter of fact I prefered them on the range of 26mm up to 30mm. These are the ones to me that give that unsurpassable luxurious feeling and economy of gestures.

10) I mostly use Simpson chubbies on my face with back and forth movements following the directions of a Rose-of-Winds and then I can actually do some swirls as well.

11) This is an Aston Martin so you can't expect consumptions of 3/Liters/100 km.

12) Its way too expensive. Yes it is. I think half of the price would be most fair. Yet the community made out of this an icon. As it did with Wolfman Razors. Now we must suffer. Vanitas Vanitatum et Omnias Vanitas.

By the way this brush gave me an outstanding lathering for this shave...

SR: Mühle R41/Razorock Halo Handle -

As I told in my previous posting, this friend of mine presented me this Mühle Head to see if I was rusty (giggles).
I've tried out some Razorock handles I have and finally opted for this Halo Titanium Razorock Handle. I'm not sure about the Titanium grade involved. It has 49 gr. weight, 13 mm diameter and 100 mm long. The transverse knurling is absolutely reliable and much grippier than the original Mühle's which I find mediocre.
I rehearsed the balance of the improvised mounted safety razor which I found very good. With the weight tonality being accentuated on the head.
As I have big hands the overall lenght is also ok with me.
The head and handle binom sorted out very cool.
My original R41 Mühle has been lost some years ago in some Italian hotel room. It was the half-beast 2013 version, as this one. I never layed my hands on the real thing, The Beast from 2011.

Impressions:

As I recall shaving with it I only used the head's weight using minimal pressure to keep contact with the skin. No aerobatics included. Just plain old school passes and a little bit of skin stretching for efficacy and safety purposes.
Tried to keep impeccable technique and no distress happened.
The R41 head is an hybrid some sort of open comb mixed with scalloped bar. There's a lot of blade feeling, but the shave was overall smooth.
Of course three and a half days stubbles were no match for this razor. Two passes and I was done.

Blade: Merkur Super Platinum (Czech) - In its second usage, this blade, German in origin, was a very good match for the R41. I have to explore better this blade for consistency. I think I've been tricked into preconception judgment. Maybe after all it is better than I thought. Nobody is immune to prejudice.

Aftershave:

- Cutoline Alum-block: very mild, mild feedback

- Proraso Lozione Dopo Barba

- Clarins Men Hydra-Sculpt

The Shave: 10/10 BBS - pinacle of efficiency

The R41 gave me the best shave from this year. It compensated the blade feel.
Absolutely no irritation. No blood spilling whatsoever.
The neck shave, with two difficult points, was positively brilliant.

1st Pass: WTG

2nd Pass: ATG, except on mustache and chin areas where I went XTG from East to West.

Very, very light pick-ups.

Attachments

• 20221023_125738.jpg
    20221023_125738.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 20221023_132901.jpg
    20221023_132901.jpg
    926.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221023_165829.jpg
    20221023_165829.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • 20221023_170126.jpg
    20221023_170126.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 20221023_170233.jpg
    20221023_170233.jpg
    938.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20221023_172136.jpg
    20221023_172136.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20221023_172259.jpg
    20221023_172259.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 20221023_172808.jpg
    20221023_172808.jpg
    885.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20221023_175018.jpg
    20221023_175018.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
Time for a nice simple shave today. Bowl lathered Proraso red shaving cream and three passes with my 1962 (birth year and quarter) Gillette Slim at #9 with a Dorco Prime blade. DFS, but not quite BBS. No nicks or irritation and no annoying tufts of stubble left though, so a decent 9.5/10.

20221022_080013.jpg

Razor: Schick G2 Gold filled Injector Razor
Blade: Schick Plus Platinum injector blade
Brush: Rudy Vey 2022 B & B Contributor Brush
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Caswell-Massey Number Six
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating Ten.

Sunday's shave -

Razor: Blackland Dart
Blade: RK Stainless (3rd use)
Pre-shave: Shave Secret
Lather: WSP Blackbeard

Very nice and efficient shave from the Dart today. The Blackbeard soap creates a very nice, rich slick lather. Minimal alum block feedback. Score is 9.4/10.

10/10 DFS

Prep PAA Cube 2.0 Enigma Machine
Blade Gillette Silver Blue
Razor Yates YPM 921/EH
Brush Yaqi 24mm 2-band badger "Green Obsidian"
Soap Southern Witchcrafts Carpathia
After shave Captain's Choice Bay Rum balm
2-passes WTG and XTG no nicks or irritation

Excellent feel from the bay rum balm!

Ready for work later this evening!

Pre: Proraso white
Brush: Dubl Duck by Heritage
Lather: Tabac
Blade: Astra blue(2)
Razor: R41 w/Yaqi cap
Rating: 9++

Read a thread on here that mentioned using the R41 with a RR SLOC cap so I decided to give it a go today. It’s been awhile since I’ve used the R41 and I forgot how great the results are on two days growth but, the chatter is enough that I prefer to use other razors in my regular rotation. Anyway, got the closest 2 pass shave with no touch ups as I’ve had maybe ever. Cheers!
02EC9A11-B45D-4D60-A53E-1A037A379A2C.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20221023_120505~2.jpg

Razor: @Above The Tie X1 Slant (TiBam Antique Ti Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (2)
Brush: @Rudy Vey 2022 B&B Contributors Brush (Mühle 25mm STF)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: WPS Rustic Tobacco
Aftershave: Aproxo Perfecto+
Fragrance: Cuba Orange EdT Spray

A superb top tier shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11981385

10/10 on 10.23

Grabbed my EJ89 only to realize that there was no blade in it. Who feels like putting a blade in a razor when your face it already lathered?? So I grabbed the New LC
Oh well, now I can post at OCtober as well!

Blade: Astra SP
Soap: DaFat
Brush: RR 400
AS: VIBR

Happy shaves all!!
20221023_173714.jpg

Head Shave
Razor: Executive Fatboy
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Paladin Chief 26mm
Soap: Southern Witchcraft Samhain
Splash: PAA Blue Samhain

Another banger from SW! I have not had a soap from SW I did not like yet. This one is a nice sweet scent that I get more of the sandalwood, amber and vanilla so far. The Executive Fatboy is so smooth for me. Started at a 7 and ended on a 3 for the third pass.

A 9 out of 10. If I had the SW splash it would be a 10.
Notes: bourbon, tobacco, pumpkin, sandalwood, nutmeg, oud, incense, amber, vanilla, hazelnut, charred wood, musk
IMG_7663.jpg

Razor: 1951 Gillette Tech
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Brush: Wilkinson Sword Boar
Soap: Proraso Green Tub
Pre-Shave: Hot Shower
Post Shave: Cold Water Rinse/Thayer's Witch Hazel/Aqua Velva Ice Blue

This evening was a two-pass shave. One pass WTG and one XTG. The blade on its 3rd shave was still smooth and sharp. This yielded a smooth almost BBS shave with a couple of minor nicks due to user error. They cleaned up nicely post shave using witch hazel and some AV aftershave. I rate it a solid 9.5/10 :thumbsup:

IMG_20221023_210601.jpg

Top Bottom