What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Henson AL13 Medium
Gillette Platinum (3)
Parker OWST 22mm
Captain's Choice Heavyweight Copper Bowl
Zingari Man - The Merchant (Maggard's Sample)
Thayer's unscented
Nivea Sensitive

A couple firsts, using the Zingari Man and doing a bowl lather. 3+ passes. Lather was so slick.

The Platinum seems to be getting better each shave.

WAF-level is high from a scent perspective.

9.7 / 10

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Razor: Rockwell 6S, #4 plate
Blade: Silver Star (5)
Brush: Zenith aluminum boar, 27mm
Soap: Haslinger Shafmilch
Aftershave: Barrister & Mann Seville balm
Growth: 24 hours
Passes: WTG, ATG, cleanup
Rating: 9/10

You know, every day, I learn something new. A few days ago, thanks to @Chan Eil Whiskers, I learned a term actually exists for the phenomena of whiskers retreating after the shave: "the hysteresis effect." Who knew?! I didn't.

Today, I realized a preference for balms that are subtle, neutral or non-scented. It was just my second time using B&M Seville, and I again found it to be stinky. It initially smelled of orange and raw meat. It also stung a bit. This is classic "YMMV"... B&M Seville soap receives rave reviews on this forum. However, I prefer softer balms like Pre de Provence No. 63, Proraso Aloe & Vitamin E, and Nivea. I will say this though: B&M Seville left my face feeling soft and moisturized all day and the scent mellowed pleasantly.

3F9E4A9F-2C07-49F1-B1F7-2E3CB6410522.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Razor: Rockwell 6S, #4 plate
Blade: Silver Star (5)
Brush: Zenith aluminum boar, 27mm
Soap: Haslinger Shafmilch
Aftershave: Barrister & Mann Seville balm
Growth: 24 hours
Passes: WTG, ATG, cleanup
Rating: 9/10

You know, every day, I learn something new. A few days ago, thanks to @Chan Eil Whiskers, I learned a term actually exists for the phenomena of whiskers retreating after the shave: "the hysteresis effect." Who knew?! I didn't.

Today, I realized a preference for balms that are subtle, neutral or non-scented. It was just my second time using B&M Seville, and I again found it to be stinky. It initially smelled of orange and raw meat. It also stung a bit. This is classic "YMMV"... B&M Seville soap receives rave reviews on this forum. However, I prefer softer balms like Pre de Provence No. 63, Proraso Aloe & Vitamin E, and Nivea. I will say this though: B&M Seville left my face feeling soft and moisturized all day and the scent mellowed pleasantly.

View attachment 1411857

MysteriumSerumBalm.Label.640.1-14-22.JPG

This is the best one I've tried for me.

You might like it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Super late post; it's been a busy week.

Razor: Schick Krona
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: EverReady 100T handle with synthetic knot
Soap: Mike's Orange, Cedarwood, & Black Pepper
Aftershave: Speick
Rating: 10/10 - Took it nice and easy and got a great shave. Have a great weekend!

MdC Vetyver soap sample
LaToja shaving cream
Omega 11137 P.O.S. boar brush
Parker 22R razor
Super Max Blue Diamond razor blade
Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve aftershave

Two pass shave. The Super Max blade is very good. Personna is my favorite. I’d say this and the Dorco are tied for second place. I’d have to do a “shave off” to see which would win between the two. I do have several blades on hand that I haven’t used yet, so they might impress me. They include Shark, Astra, and a couple others I can’t recall off the top of my head. My new Omega brush doesn’t “fill the shoes” of its Omega predecessor. Lent is coming up. My new brush would be great to use as a form of penance.

Score: 9.9/10

Last edited:
Sat 19 SOTD
Soap Shannon's Soap Silk Pajamas
Brush Yaqi 24mm Robin Clear Handle
Razor Gillette British RFB
Blade Vintage SilverStar Duridium 1st Use
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel MitA + HA + TGS Abysso Splash
Nice soap scent! The lather is creamy and slick enough...
This shave with both Vintage razor and blade was interesting. The blade did not feel as smooth unless riding the cap but it is surprisingly efficient. 3passes for a bbs/dfs finish with some red tiny spots. Good aftershaves. Rating 9.3/10
20220219_090653.jpg

View attachment 1411908

Soap: Stirling Varen
Brush: Omega Jade Boar
Lather: Face
Razor: Razorock Lupo .72
Blade: Nacet (4)

Good morning! A very pleasant leisurely shave today. I managed to get Goldilocks lather today, leading to a super comfortable BBS. I’m not quite certain what I think of the Varen scent, or what I think it smells like, but I do very much like Stirling mutton tallow soaps.

10/10

Razor: Challenge Razor Works
Brush: Omega boar
Soap: Stirling Varen

Fantastic!
View attachment 1411962

Same. Was surprised by the fragrance of Varen when I first got it. It has grown on me over time, but quite unlike anything else I use. A word comes to mind…dank.
Okay, I'll bite. How can I pass up a scent that is described as "I’m not quite certain what I think of the Varen scent, or what I think it smells like..." and "Was surprised by the fragrance of Varen when I first got it. It has grown on me over time, but quite unlike anything else I use. A word comes to mind…dank.".

I just ordered my first Stirling product of any kind - Varen!

Last edited:
My Friday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
Strop: Tony Miller Premium Steerhide Smooth w/ Linen​
One pass shave: WTG​
Razor: J.A. Henckels #123 5/8 Hollow​
Pre-Shave: Proraso Red Cream, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: Captain's Custom Prototype Brush - Synthetic​
Soap: Pre de Provence - No. 63 w/ Shea Butter​
Facial Toner: Thayers Original Witch Hazel Aloe Vera Astringent​
Aftershave: Pre de Provence - No. 63 w/ Shea Butter​
9.8/10! DFS!

First shave with the vaunted Wunderbar. And a brand new puck of soap (Global Cedarwood & Lime).

I've used this same soap for years now, but today's lather was a litle thin. I don't know if it has been reformulated, or just that it was the first lather, but it was not the easy, luxurious, protective lather I am accustomed to. And given this was my first shave with the Wunderbar, I admit to being a little apprehensive when I saw how thin it looked on my face... But I pressed on undeterred.

I needen't have worried. The Wunderbar felt no more aggressive than the German 37 I am used to. It is significantly heavier, which I must admit I quite enjoyed, but at no stage did I feel like I was shaving skin. It actually felt like a pretty normal two pass (W/X) shave for me. No nicks or weepers, nothing from the alum, It all felt good.

Until I applied the balm: it just whooshed across my face! Like olive oil on a billiard ball! The additional weight seemed to have sucked the whiskers out of my face... Easy BBS 10/10

God knows what it will be like with a decent lather. :D

Preshave : Glycerin facewash with warm water splashes
Razor : Mühle R41 (2013)
Blade : Astra SP (D4)
Brush : Omega 31064 Boar
Soap : Arko Shaving Stick
Aftershave : Alum Block + Cold water splashes + Old Spice Original AS Lotion

Rating : 9.2/10

Very comfortable and close DFS !

Saturday morning. Bright sunshine at first after yesterday's storm, but it's clouded now - though it's good not to see tables and bin lids wandering around the garden.

Gold Dollar W60 6/8 x 2.5 spike point straight razor
Zenith 506 olive wood boar brush
Razorock "Irish Countryside" soap
Superdrug "Forest Fresh" aftershave

Back to a £15 razor for today, though there's a lot to be said for the GD range. They do the job. The bright sunshine as I got out of bed looked like the day was going to be a good fit with Irish Countryside, which has me thinking more of spring and summer than this time of year.

Something of a "if I'd known about that when I started, I'd only have spent a fraction on kit" shave this morning. But then how would I justify my next bit of shopping? Today gets a "9".

Brush: Muhle Kosmo synthetic
Razor: Rockwell 6C
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson [India] (1)
Preshave: Proraso White cream
Lather: Wickham 1912 Club Cola
Aftershave: LEA aftershave lotion

Great shave today. I was revisiting the Gillette Wilkinson blade that I haven't used in a while. At first pass it was dragging and didn't feel smooth at all. Second at third passes were much better and I finished with BBS after three passes with no cuts or irritation. The blade is rather mild, so it's better for shorter stubble. If I was shaving daily, I think I would pick it more often. And the advantage of mild blade is it's definetely more forgiving, so no cuts at the end.

Top Bottom