What's new

What did I just get myself into?

Let me preface these comments by saying I'm a SR newbie and have never even looked that them in person before.

So, a few weeks ago, I'm in a Antique mall and saw a Straight for $10. I look at it and notice it has a cracked scale so I pass on by. When walking back out after looking around for a while, I see a sign that the things in that display cabinet is 50% off. So, it's a $5 SR. I look at it more closely and it is a German blade, so I figured that's a good thing. It wasn't very rusty (looks like just a bit of surface rust) and didn't have any chips or cracks in the blade that I could see. Also, didn't have much of a smile, so I decided to pull the trigger.

I get it home and the first time I opened it, the scale cracked again. It must be extremely brittle.

Anyway, here are the pics.

On one side, it appears to say: Max Dorner Solingen, Made in Germany. It also has the # 64 and a logo.
The other side says: Best Silver Steel, Extra Hollow Ground.

So.. I have no clue what I got. Just wondering everyone's thoughts. I'll be looking for someone to re-scale/restore it as well as someone to hone it and get it shave ready. I'll probably have to go to Whipped Dog to get a starter kit with a strop and stuff. I also have a ton of videos to watch so I can learn how to use a Straight.

Any more details on it would be greatly appreciated.

Looks like it should hone and shave well once you get it some new shoes. There is a seller the bay with precut black walnut scales for pretty cheap, and if you give him the measurements, he will drill it to your specifications.

The scales I had him make for me weren't bad, but there must have been a miscommunication or something, because the pin holes were just barely off.

Thanks for the info. Anyone know anything about the Max Dorner razors? What time was it made? It does mention made in Germany, so appears to be made before 1944 (I think). Is it a blade worth spending money on getting going again?

I don't know anything about Max Dorner, but getting a Solingen blade in good condition like that for $5 is a very nice shopping result :001_smile

Top Bottom