What's new

What DE razor for the first time?

Hello there,

After shaving a couple of times with a M3, I thought I'd try a DE. I thought it wouldn't kill me, right?

So I was wondering what would be the ideal choice of a razor for a first-timer? Merkur HD? Someting else? Would it be OK if I would try at first some cheap plastic Wilkinson, which is available in local stores? Or would be maybe too light?

Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers.

A Merkur HD is a fine choice for a first razor. I personally found the HD to be too aggressive for my skin/beard. If you have sensitive skin I would strongly suggest a Gillette Super Speed or Tech. Both of these razors have excellent reputations, shave great, and are fairly available.

Good Luck and Welcome to B&B.

I started with the HD and it is still working great. I didn't want to start with the added complications of an adjustable, and the HD seems pretty well respected as a consistent, top-notch razor that the vast majority of people can at least get a decent shave out of. I can't personally compare though, as the only razors I have ever used are the HD, the Mach 3, and a couple of cheap disposables many years ago.

Add another to the HD.

Prior to the Merkur, I only used a Mach III, and had no experience with even a Bic single-blade.

The switch to an HD was a really nice transition, and one I am glad I made. If all I had was a Mach III, I probably wouldn't shave. The difference really is that large.

The merkur HD is a very well made razor but IMO an old Gillette Tech is a better starter razor. I will list my reasoning;

1) A servicable used Gillette Tech is 1/3 the price of a new merkur HD allowing for easier entry to the hobby.

2) The Gillette Tech is a milder razor which is good for two reasons. One, your shaves will be less painfull, and two, it may help tech proper angle as a mild razor just wont but if not at the right angle. (Note: Some have found that an agressive razor teaches them angle better because it hurts when incorrect angle is used, this was not the case for me)

The merkur HD is a very well made razor but IMO an old Gillette Tech is a better starter razor. I will list my reasoning;

1) A servicable used Gillette Tech is 1/3 the price of a new merkur HD allowing for easier entry to the hobby.

2) The Gillette Tech is a milder razor which is good for two reasons. One, your shaves will be less painfull, and two, it may help tech proper angle as a mild razor just wont but if not at the right angle. (Note: Some have found that an agressive razor teaches them angle better because it hurts when incorrect angle is used, this was not the case for me)

I whole heartily agree, the Tech is a far better intro razor.
:thumbup1:

I agree with either the Tech or an early SuperSpeed.I think these razors are mild enough to be able to concentrate on blade selection which I feel is the most important variable in getting a consistently quality shave.

+1 - Tech's are great starter razors and can be had pretty cheaply on ebay.

Unfortunately, they may require cleaning, sanitizing, boiling etc. One of the big benefits of the HD is that it can be bought new and is a very very good razor.

Your call.

I started with the Merkur HD and wish I would have gone with the longer handled Barberpole 38C. But any of the vintage Gillettes mentioned in this thread would be fine.

One suggestion that I would mention comes from some of the "old pros" on this forum is to get a Bic disposal single edge and give it a try at least while your Merkur or the vintage Gillette is coming. The Bic will give you an idea of what you are in for with the "traditional or old style" wetshaving. Also the Bic can be used to touch up under the nose. My HD and vintage Gillette give me some problems in that area but YMMV.

Best of luck no matter what you decide on.

I'll put down another vote for the Merkur HD. It's still the only razor I've felt the need to own.

Of course, every now and then I eye the Gillette Star I bought my wife and wonder... :blushing:

A Merkur HD is a fine choice for a first razor. I personally found the HD to be too aggressive for my skin/beard. If you have sensitive skin I would strongly suggest a Gillette Super Speed or Tech. Both of these razors have excellent reputations, shave great, and are fairly available.

Good Luck and Welcome to B&B.

i agree with this. i love the superspeed (flare tip), but you'll probably end up getting multiple razors eventually. you can find some good ones here and on ebay. welcome and goodluck!

The two suggestions I would make are the Merkur HD or Merkur Progress. I would not go with a Gillette as a first razor. Buying one on Ebay is a crapshoot as far as the condition goes and you don't want to get into restoring razors prior to ever shaving with one.

+1 on posting a WTB on the B/S/T forum for a Gillette Tech.

To quote BrooklynLou, the only way you'll hurt yourself with that razor is if you ram it on your face, or drop it on your foot.

+1 on posting a WTB on the B/S/T forum for a Gillette Tech.

To quote BrooklynLou, the only way you'll hurt yourself with that razor is if you ram it on your face, or drop it on your foot.

Or if you slide the blade across your face, which can happen if you're not careful. A lot of us can tell that story. :smile:

Or if you slide the blade across your face, which can happen if you're not careful. A lot of us can tell that story. :smile:
My friend told me that story from when he switched from electric to a cartridge when he was younger. He just didn't know any better...

Just call them your Heidelberg scars.

okay everyone I have a question:

which would you reccomend?

- Merkur Barber Pole Long Handled HD
or
- Merkur Progressive

I already have the Long Classic, however I have acquired an acquisition disorder and I feel the need to purchase another razor.

Thanks for all the answers. I think I will go with a Merkur HD, since it is unlikely I will find someone willing to ship a Gillette in Eastern Europe.

Top Bottom