What's new

What am I doing wrong?

I just received and tried my Feather SS and Kai Luffy clones. I also tried my unused Razorock Black Hawk V2. I had a Feather Pro from Try A Blade which I switched between the three. I have to say, I was more than disappointed. No matter which razor I used, it seemed to do nothing but tug and didn't seem to shave my hair at all. I actually had to stop to use my trusted slant. My angle is less than 30 degrees from what I can tell, anything more than that feels like I'm gonna slice into my face. I'm also using a gentle touch. I used A&E shaving soap, but didn't seem to have any issues with the shavettes "sticking" to my face, as others have mentioned with thicker lathers. Am I doing something wrong?

That's what I thought too. However, I've never had a blade so bad it couldn't cut hair properly. I mean, I would expect some tugging from a bad blade, but seems to be almost as if there was no edge. I have read that Feathers, for some folks, are better after the the first shave. I don't think this was what they meant though, as for the first shave being a little rough.

This being my first try using all the above hardware, including any AC type blade, I'm hesitant to just blame the blade.

Put the blade in so the sharp side sticks out.

:lol:

Just kidding, of course. I had blades from Try-a-blade that were just terrible. I think sometimes they bounce around inside their little cardboard holder and just get almost completely dull.

Try cutting some paper, not good for the blade but then you know if it is blunt

Will try this and see. Thanks.

Put the blade in so the sharp side sticks out.

:lol:

Just kidding, of course. I had blades from Try-a-blade that were just terrible. I think sometimes they bounce around inside their little cardboard holder and just get almost completely dull.

Lol

Maybe it is your face that don't like Feather Pro ?
At least my face don't like it. I tried this blade from two different lots. And the results were very poor. Tuggy and unpleasant.
I wanted to love AC-blade shaving, because everybody are raving about this format. But it is not for me.

I just received and tried my Feather SS and Kai Luffy clones. I also tried my unused Razorock Black Hawk V2. I had a Feather Pro from Try A Blade which I switched between the three. I have to say, I was more than disappointed. No matter which razor I used, it seemed to do nothing but tug and didn't seem to shave my hair at all. I actually had to stop to use my trusted slant. My angle is less than 30 degrees from what I can tell, anything more than that feels like I'm gonna slice into my face. I'm also using a gentle touch. I used A&E shaving soap, but didn't seem to have any issues with the shavettes "sticking" to my face, as others have mentioned with thicker lathers. Am I doing something wrong?
My bet is on a bad blade. Unfortunately this happens a lot more with SE blades.

Unlike DE blades (wrapped in paper and protected), these AC blades are totally naked once slid out of their container and so it's very easy to damage the edge, even during wrapping. Therefore, I always get a full-size pack.

FWIW, I can "vouch" that Feather Professional are excellent blades. I have been using them extensively with various shavers, including the original Feather Artist Clubb SS non-folding shavette, RR Hawk V3-SB and Blackland Vector with both SB and OC plates. If it helps, I have a heavy growth "salt & pepper" stubble and Feather Pro takes it all off effortlessly and irritation free. My established routine is WTG, XTG, ATG every two days. If my growth is more than 2 days, I'll do 2 WTG passes, followed by XTG, ATG and touch-ups if necessary. A&E is among my Top 2 favorite soap brands and it's probably the best performing soap money can buy.

TL;DR - get a full pack.

Maybe it is your face that don't like Feather Pro ?
At least my face don't like it. I tried this blade from two different lots. And the results were very poor. Tuggy and unpleasant.
I wanted to love AC-blade shaving, because everybody are raving about this format. But it is not for me.
You tried a total of 2 blades with a single razor and decided "AC wasn't for you"... perhaps you gave up a little too soon?

You tried a total of 2 blades with a single razor and decided "AC wasn't for you"... perhaps you gave up a little too soon?

No. I didn't bother to write a full story. This is not my thread.
I did shave from two different boxes of Feather Pro. Total of 4 blades 3-15 shaves each. These were from mediocre to bad shaves.

No. I didn't bother to write a full story. This is not my thread.
I did shave from two different boxes of Feather Pro. Total of 4 blades 3-15 shaves each. These were from mediocre to bad shaves.
OH OK. Maybe try another blade - Kai, Schick...? And a mild razor, like RR Hawk.

My bet is on a bad blade. Unfortunately this happens a lot more with SE blades.

Unlike DE blades (wrapped in paper and protected), these AC blades are totally naked once slid out of their container and so it's very easy to damage the edge, even during wrapping. Therefore, I always get a full-size pack.

FWIW, I can "vouch" that Feather Professional are excellent blades. I have been using them extensively with various shavers, including the original Feather Artist Clubb SS non-folding shavette, RR Hawk V3-SB and Blackland Vector with both SB and OC plates. If it helps, I have a heavy growth "salt & pepper" stubble and Feather Pro takes it all off effortlessly and irritation free. My established routine is WTG, XTG, ATG every two days. If my growth is more than 2 days, I'll do 2 WTG passes, followed by XTG, ATG and touch-ups if necessary. A&E is among my Top 2 favorite soap brands and it's probably the best performing soap money can buy.

TL;DR - get a full pack.
The reason I didn't get a full pack was because I wanted to test it out. I've heard so many good things about it, I thought maybe it might help decrease the number of passes I need for shaving my head. However, they are a bit pricier than DE blades. If the number of shaves I get is decent, then it might equal out, or at the very least, close the cost gap. Since I use a DE blade twice (once per edge - seems tuggy to me afterwards), The AC would have to last for several shaves before changing it out.

When you say bad blades happen a lot more with SE blades, do you mean when bought individually or just in general?

The reason I didn't get a full pack was because I wanted to test it out. I've heard so many good things about it, I thought maybe it might help decrease the number of passes I need for shaving my head. However, they are a bit pricier than DE blades. If the number of shaves I get is decent, then it might equal out, or at the very least, close the cost gap. Since I use a DE blade twice (once per edge - seems tuggy to me afterwards), The AC would have to last for several shaves before changing it out.

When you say bad blades happen a lot more with SE blades, do you mean when bought individually or just in general?
When bought from tryblade.com and similar websites, who take them out of their protective container and wrap them, then mail them to you. In doing so, they often damage the edge, so the blade you receive is a dull and useless.

Top Bottom