What's new

What am I doing wrong with a Synbad?

Hey Noodles, Check out this video from Cris at "Another Cut Above" on YouTube. I have been shaving for about 10 years with a boar brush and a couple tried and true soaps. Recently, after about that ten year time I popped back into Badger & Blade and found that synthetic brushes had really improved since I started. Having recently worn out my Semogue brush, I bought several synthetics, one of which is an AP Shave Co. 24mm synbad. I did a little cursory research to see if there is anything different about lathering with synthetics and I found this video, which has helped me to get great lather. Cris's technique is pretty systematic so you can slowly add the amount of water you need until it's time to splay the knot and whip up an impressive lather. Hope it helps.

"A Foolproof Guide to Creating a Shaving Lather"

I have a Synbad 24 mm, I do most of mine in the bowl first. I'll get the brush wet then give it one good thorough quick squeeze which gets rid of most of the water. I'll find it I might have to load the thing for a minute (60 sec) just because I don't like the way it works out if I don't get enough so but the more you do in particular so the more you'll know.
Another way is measure out 1/4 tsp into a bowl, slowly add your water, you'll know if it's too dry.
I really like the brush, see on my profile pic the green one is mine and the red one is from the synthetic pass around box, lol.

Thanks again for all the ideas. I used my Jagger STF 23mm for the first time today (using some of the tips here) and it worked great. I will try to apply my newly-honed method to the Synbad tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the ideas. I used my Jagger STF 23mm for the first time today (using some of the tips here) and it worked great. I will try to apply my newly-honed method to the Synbad tomorrow.

Well....the tips here have worked and I have now create a good lather (MWF) with the Synbad. That said, I still find that it has a bit too much backbone and spring. Better than the tuxedo knot. But, I prefer the STF having now tried all three. And, overall, I'm still more of a badger fan.

Top Bottom