What's new

West Coast Shaving- What am I Missing

Like many of you, I suppose, I've recently received e-mails from WCS indicating that I could receive an "extra" 30% off of their "clearance items," no code necessary. Items in their clearance area are already marked down 30%, from WCS's generally higher than ordinary prices, so, to me at least, the expectation is that they'll be reduced by a further 30% on checkout. Uh, no, that doesn't happen. It's a straight 30% markdown, no "extra" about it.

As I ask in my subject line, am I missing something? Or is the promise of an "extra" 30% savings misleading?

I like WCS, but their marketing bugs me. I don't see the large markdowns and get way too many text messages from them. However, I will go to their site and browse if there is something I need.

Like many of you, I suppose, I've recently received e-mails from WCS indicating that I could receive an "extra" 30% off of their "clearance items," no code necessary. Items in their clearance area are already marked down 30%, from WCS's generally higher than ordinary prices, so, to me at least, the expectation is that they'll be reduced by a further 30% on checkout. Uh, no, that doesn't happen. It's a straight 30% markdown, no "extra" about it.

As I ask in my subject line, am I missing something? Or is the promise of an "extra" 30% savings misleading?

It’s funny you say that, because I got that same email and actually replied to it about that because it’s a very misleading title as you mentioned. I did get a reply saying that the 30% off is the discount, it’s not an extra 30% off things that were already marked down like the subject line suggested. So I replied saying that I think it’s misleading the way it’s worded and I’m probably not the only one who will interpret as such… no reply to that email 🙄

How about buy one,.get one 20% off?
That's only 10% off.
Not really a justification to buy things you don't need.
That being said, I do like them and bought many items from them.

Yep, the little UNSUBSCRIBE link in WCS emails. I use to find good deals but then somewhere along the way things changed and not for the better.

How about buy one,.get one 20% off?
That's only 10% off.
Not really a justification to buy things you don't need.
That being said, I do like them and bought many items from them.
Especially when you consider how expensive their WCS-branded stuff is. The WCS “jojoba shaving cream” is a Catie’s Bubbles product, and CB retails that exact same formula product for $15-20. Yet somehow WCS sells theirs at $37.50 retail price… GTFOH

I have much of the same feeling. Not very impressed. I did buy from TRC and Pasteurs today…
Excellent choice both have great customer service. WCS also has a big time stock problem. Plus if you look close there full prices are way higher then others. Example B & M aftershave is 22.99 full price compared to 20.99.
I use to order from them but pass now.

It’s funny you say that, because I got that same email and actually replied to it about that because it’s a very misleading title as you mentioned. I did get a reply saying that the 30% off is the discount, it’s not an extra 30% off things that were already marked down like the subject line suggested. So I replied saying that I think it’s misleading the way it’s worded and I’m probably not the only one who will interpret as such… no reply to that email 🙄
Their reply to you is disingenuous. If they want to say that all clearance items are 30% off, their text should read something like "all clearance items are 30% off our regular price. "Extra" means or implies an additional percentage off of an already reduced price.

That their prices are generally considerably more than those of other reliable vendors is a discussion for another day.

I haven't bought much for shave products the last few years because I have so much but I am in the same boat as others here. I unsubscribed to their emails because I have no clue how they even consider the deals they post as even a deal to begin with. Deals aren't that good if they are marked up first. If I am interested in something they are the last place I would shop.

Honestly, so many good points. I forget that their house brand is made by Caties and Oleo/Chicago. Their prices are way less.
I am one to just unsubscribe and say next… TRC, maggards, and Pasteurs for me. And going direct to the artisans.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Ever since they changed owners several several years ago they just ain’t the same. I basically stopped shopping there. Smallflower.com is where I go now mostly. Q-Brothers/Merz. All the same people and vendors here.

I don't know what happened to WCS, but it isn't for the better. I used to have great experiences with them. Then a few years ago I ordered a sleeve of 100 razor blades and they showed up every box opened or torn/ripped, loose razors blades floating around in the shipping package in nothing but their wax paper covers. Their customer service couldn't seem to care less and offered neither an apology nor a resolution. They can go pound sand after that bullcrap. I prefer to spend my money with people that actually take pride in their business.

West Coast is company I get emails from, never bought from, because their ads never were anything I need, at price that was attractive. They do too many email special that are nothing special, exciting, or really good deals.

They are like going to Car dealer, because of slick ad, only to find out their big sale is just a bait n switch to get you too table to be best up into submission, by slick salesman.

JMO.

I felt the same way when I went to the sight. Clickbait. It was a very misleading email but it did what they wanted and made a lot of us click and look.

It's a shame to hear all the negative reports. It's been a while since I ordered anything, but I remember WCS being reliable with good pricing. Those were the days, I guess.

Markets have a way of balancing themselves. Bad service = less profit.

When was the ownership change? I used to buy from them like 10 years ago. Prices on a lot of stuff there are a joke now. Also check trust pilot reviews...yikes.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
When was the ownership change? I used to buy from them like 10 years ago. Prices on a lot of stuff there are a joke now. Also check trust pilot reviews...yikes.
That was probably about when the original owners sold it. Many years ago. Rumor has it they were sold yet again.

Top Bottom