What's new

Went back to cartridge and foam

As some of you read in my last post a few weeks ago I switched back to a cartridge razor (sensor excel) to see if it could improve my ingrown hair situation. My theory was that the DE was shaving too close (for my skin) and that was causing the ingrowns. I tried many DE's btw...including a Slim, Tech, SS, etc over about 7 years.

Anyway, I picked up a sensor excel and continued using a brush for a few weeks with great results (I believe 1 minor ingrown which was from the blade becoming dull). I also started shaving in the shower for easier cleanup and the other benefits.

Last week I was feeling lazy and nostalgic so I picked up a can of barbasol and tried it out. The first shave wasn't amazing since I wasn't used to it. However, the past week of shaves have been great so I put away the brush and just use the foam now.

My current setup is as follows:
Razor Sensor excel
Pre shave- Proraso Sensitive (until it runs out)
Cream-Barbasol
Aftershave-Speick
ASB-Proraso sensitive (until it runs out)

I believe my skin was getting over exfoliated from the shaving and brush etc. and the blade was probably cutting too close. With the cartridge I do one pass WTG, which looks perfectly acceptable. This setup works for ME and I'm definitely not saying its the way to go or will work for everyone. Believe me, Id rather use a DE and nice soap and brush like I used to but it just never really worked for my skin. I just figured Id share in case anyone else had a similar problem and was looking for a possible solution as I had been.

@Devlin Good that you found your setup. If you like palmolive creams there are palmolive shaving foams available.
To me it's quite interesting how people like barbasol, which I think it's not widely available in europe, and I'm fan of gillette foamy, both of them cheap.
I always keep back-up foam and my current is nivea sensitive
Have you tried mach 3? If you have had, how it's compared to sensor?

Whatever works for you! I keep a can of Barbasol for days I need to rush--I find it to be much better than the gel stuff and a little Barbasol goes a long way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with using what works. I concur that it is indeed possible to get TOO close with a DE/SE and for some that is a real problem.

I am currently in a longevity test of the Microtouch Tough Blade, a non-disposable 3 blade cart razor. 5 shaves down so far, many to go. All said and done it performs very well for me and though I do have to work some areas a little extra to compete with the closeness of a DE, every shave is flawless...no nicks, no weepers, no irritation. No overt burning sensation from alcohol based AS, and the shave longevity is every bit as good as a DE shave is for me.

I can see why these razors are so popular and why their predominance will never be significantly threatened by vintage shaving technology due to the reasons above.

Glad you found a solution that works. I still have my Sensor Excel and some new in box carts. It was my first razor in 1993. I will probably reach for it at least once because of this thread !

Of course I got an ingrown hair today...I think I use each cartridge too long and need to change them more frequently

I have a gillette Atra that I was using when I decided to make the switch to DE 7 years ago or so. I've used straights for the past 3 years but the Atra is still sitting on a shelf begging to be used. Maybe I should pick it up again and put it in the rotation to see what I'm missing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I loved DE shaving and all the products but the way I have now is just easier...Im also busy and sometimes lazy (I shave at night) so my setup works great for me

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I loved DE shaving and all the products but the way I have now is just easier...Im also busy and sometimes lazy (I shave at night) so my setup works great for me
The Sensor cart system was my favorite. And as a Cosmetologist, I can attest to the fact that one can easily remove too much skin when shaving. The human face was not designed to be scraped with a blade....even if I do think it looks purdier that way, lol.

in some ways I enjoy it more( the simplicity) but I definitely miss the vintage razors!

Top Bottom