What's new

Weishi

Just got a Weishi on loan from my buddy. I normally use a Shavette. Is there a learning curve for the DE like there is for the Shavette?

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
In short, yes

The Weishi is extremely mild but the rules are similar. Take it slow, think no pressure and the angle must be around 30 deg.

You definitely picked a good DE razor to start with. It's one of the most mild and unless you are really, really reckless about it, it's nearly impossible to cut yourself on it.

-CCM

Careful. Problem with this type of razor is that it's so mild, users will either do too many passes or press down while shaving to get closer, then you end up with nicks or razorburn.

DE is DE. Don't try to use it like a Mach3 or whatever.

Careful. Problem with this type of razor is that it's so mild, users will either do too many passes or press down while shaving to get closer, then you end up with nicks or razorburn.

The razor burn is a definite possibility, hence why you need to avoid the temptation to do touch ups without lather. I actually get a very good shave with it, but because it has such a small blade angle (I think that's the term), there is a very narrow sweetspot with this blade. Take the razor and hold it perpendicular to your face. Then slowly rotate it down until you just begin to cut. Note the angle at which you are holding the razor when you first get it to shave and try to maintain this angle.

-CCM

This is a great razor to start with and I use mine as a travel razor. However, as other's have said you still need to practice with this razor. In addition, due to its 'mild' nature, its important the shavfe angle down right otherwise your shaves won't be as close.

No, the learning curve for a DE is much, much less than for a straight or straight substitute like a Shavette. As others have covered there are things to learn when you use it. But it will come a whole lot faster than the Shavette did.

Just did my first shave with it-excellent. DFS for a first try. Little irritation and I attribute what irritation I had to the nightmare of a shave I had last night with the Merkur blades on my Shavette.

Weishi's were designed by Oriental gentleman with 3 or 4 facial hairs.:lol: They should not be mistaken for a real razor.:001_smile

Weishi's were designed by Oriental gentleman with 3 or 4 facial hairs.:lol: They should not be mistaken for a real razor.:001_smile

+1

I briefly owned one that I had won in a contest.

I used it for one pass, and one pass only.

In my opinion, it's so excessively mild that it would require 2-3 passes beyond what I would do with my Tech to accomplish a close shave.

Sorry, but I have no interest in a 5-6 pass shave. :laugh::laugh:

For the same money, you can pick up a vintage Superspeed, or a Ming Shi which are both superior choices to the Weishi.

Weishi FTW. DFS with BBS in many places. Two WTG passes, one XTG, and one ATG. No nicks or cuts.

Like you I am a newbie. I started with a Merkur and kept cutting myself.
So a week a go I bought A Weishi just because it was so mild. I got it online for ~ $9 plus shipping.

I loved not cutting myself with the Weishi and got a pretty close shave but each shave required a number of passes. I think it is fairly hard to cut yourself with a Weishi.

Last Sunday I did the aggressiveness improvement trick were you take an old razor blade, cut off the sharp edges (I just used scissors while holding it with pliers so I didn't cut my fingers), and stacked it under the new (sharp) blade. The aggressiveness of the Weishi certainly improved but not too dramatically so. I suppose you could stack a few old blades with the edges cut off under the sharp blade to better increase the aggressiveness.

That's a poor mans adjustable !

Now I find that I am strated on aquistion disorder thing. I just bid on and won a vintage Gillette Tech razor yesterday. That will be my third razor in under a month.

Last edited:
I loved not cutting myself with the Weishi and got a pretty close shave but each shave required a number of passes. I think it is fairly hard to cut yourself with a Weishi.

DE shaving is about beard reduction: multiple passes with each pass further shortening the hair. Most people won't get an acceptable shave with just one pass.

Most of us are doing at least 3 passes, but usually 4 (WTG, XTG, XTG, ATG). The two across the grain passes are in opposite directions.

My face can't handle the ATG pass, so I just settle for a slightly less close shave, and just do 3 passes.

For me, the issue with the Weishi isn't that it requires multiple passes, it's that a close shave would require multiple passes beyond what I am usually accustomed to doing.

Top Bottom