What's new

Wee bit disappointed with my new "old" Red Tip

Just got a beautiful '56 Red Tip from a fellow B&B members.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the razor itself. Cosmetically and functionally, it's fine.

I guess I must have had very high expectations. It had been reviewed as an "aggressive razor," but I found, with my trusty Bluebird blade, that there wasn't a significant difference in closeness or sharpness between it and my Slim and Fatboy with a 4 or 5 setting.

It shaved well, but it wasn't "revelatory," as was when I switched from my original Parker to my vintage adjustables. Perhaps the expectation was greater than the reality. In the end, it's just someone's old razor after all.

I don't think I'll get rid of it, because it's definitely a collectible, but I think for daily use I'm going to go back to Fatboy / Slim.

Jeff in Boston

Last edited:
Have a look at the Wiki brother and compare the red tip and your fat boy's settings. I think off the top of my head the fat boy can cut more aggressively that the red tip?

The "aggressiveness" of the Red Tip is really overstated. It was meant to be aggresive for a Super Speed and that largely because of it's heavier handle (when compared to the aluminum Blue Tip and the thinner handled Flare Tip).

Try a Feather in there. I love it.

The "aggressiveness" of the Red Tip is really overstated. It was meant to be aggresive for a Super Speed and that largely because of it's heavier handle (when compared to the aluminum Blue Tip and the thinner handled Flare Tip).

Try a Feather in there. I love it.

The aggressiveness of a Red Tip is severely overstated.

The Red Tip was meant to be aggressive when compared against other Superspeeds. It is more aggressive than either a Blue Tip Superspeed, or the regular flair tip Superspeed.

Since most people's frame of reference is a Merkur HD, they will find the Red Tip to be not very aggressive at all, as in my opinion, it is less aggressive than the Merkur HD.

Well, I'm glad I didn't go for a "regular" Super Speed since that would have been too "gentle" for me.

I'm probably maligning this wayyyyy too much. It's a perfectly fine razor. If I didn't have the Slim and Fatboy, I would have thought it was the best thing since baked bread.

In any case, it's very cool to look at, so I'm keeping it anyway for the collectible aspect. But I think its purchase ends my RAD phase for good.

Jeff in Boston

I agree with the michigan's sentiment. I, like many, started with the HD and it's a great razor but I was getting one or two nicks every other shave or so with it. So I was terrified of my red tip but decided to give it a try. I find my red tip about as aggressive as the HD but smoother. So I really for the life of me don't understand why the HD is the go to beginner's razor while the red tip is called "aggressive." I've never tried a blue tip or regular superspeed so those must really be tame.

So I really for the life of me don't understand why the HD is the go to beginner's razor while the red tip is called "aggressive." I've never tried a blue tip or regular superspeed so those must really be tame.

I too am a bit mystified, as to why the defacto recommendation for newbies is the Merkur HD, which being fairly aggressive it would seem the likelihood if it biting would be higher.

I had a Merkur 38C for a while (the HD with a longer handle) and was not overly impressed with it. I much prefer my vintage Gillette razors.

I honestly think a newbie is better off with a Superspeed, or a Tech, as they are fairly mild.

I find with my Red Tip the best shave I get are with a Feather blade. These two coupled together make for a great shave. I would agree however, that if you have used more aggressive razors prior to using the Red Tip, you will be "underwhelmed" with the aggressiveness. I think the people that say it is "very" aggressive are used to milder superspeeds, which are IMHO, too tame for me. I tend to lean toward the older open combed gillettes, or adjustable set high. Or older injectors.

]I have only been DE shaving for just over 1 year, so I am no expert. But,I have found that aggressiveness in a razors is way overated. When I first started I bought every razor I could and tried them all. I found out that whether it was an old Gillette Ball End Tech or a Merkur Slant Sledgehammer I needed at least 2 passes to get a DFS. I think I was looking for that magic razor that would give me a BBS in only 1 pass. I know now that will never happen. Still hasn't stopped me from buying more razors.

Hey Jeff,

Sorry to hear it's not giving you much love.

I was reading all the previous comments about vintage gillettes vs. the HD. It's amazing how much YMMV this whole thing is.

Like a poster said previously that they bought a ton of vintage razors looking for the magic one. I found that I was doing the same thing. I would read all the posts about a Slim or a Fatboy, a Tech or an SS... I had high expectations of all these razors, but none of them worked for me. They all had varying degrees of aggressiveness, but none really provided a smooth, irritation free shave.

The HD on the other .... pure magic. BBS & no irritation every time.

The Slant performing equally as well.

3 pass shaves with a water pass touch up... oh yeah, and the one thing I couldn't do with a single Gillette... ATG under the lip... no problem with the Merkurs.

YMMV, indeed.

Top Bottom