What's new

Watch this Scotch

Buchanan's 15 YO Select, A blend of Malt Whiskies 25.99 @ Costco in Sacramento, CA

Excellent product, excellent price.

Have wondered if blending Single Malt Whiskies made for a better product than blending Single Malts with grain whiskies. Have thought blending Single Malts and grain whiskies was a cheaper way of presenting the products and some Single Malts by themselves may be less enjoyable to some consumers. Do wish regardless of requirements that Scots' Whiskies were not aged in containers that had aged other beverages.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Have wondered if blending Single Malt Whiskies made for a better product than blending Single Malts with grain whiskies.

It's all a matter of the quality of the ingredients and the skill of the blender. There are excellent grain whiskies, and there are crappy malts. I've never tried blending, but I expect that one can make a bad blend of good whiskies.

Keep in mind that any "single malt" you drink that isn't labeled "single barrel" or the like is a blend of malt whiskies.

Thanks for the heads up on the Buchanan's. I'll have to check it out.

It's all a matter of the quality of the ingredients and the skill of the blender. There are excellent grain whiskies, and there are crappy malts. I've never tried blending, but I expect that one can make a bad blend of good whiskies.

Amen, skill is everything. Blending is both an art and science. Nowadays bad whiskies whatever that means, don't last long or sell well; advertising can only do so much.

Keep in mind that any "single malt" you drink that isn't labeled "single barrel" or the like is a blend of malt whiskies.

Right you are and thank you for making that point.

Thanks for the heads up on the Buchanan's. I'll have to check it out.

The handle of Kirkland blended scotch is $17. I like it better than Dewars. It lacks wow factor but keeps me from dipping into my single malt collection. After trying more affordable blends that were disappointing, this works for me. I’ll look into the Buchanan’s 15. I’ve been picking up a single malt each Costco trip and squirreling them away. Adding a few good blends to the collection never hurts And is more affordable.

If I'm not mistaken, Monkey Shoulder is a blend of single malts. I have always liked it for a nice value pour when I'm in the mood for scotch.

That's an amazing price for the Buchanan's. Total Wine shows it for just under $60. I'm going to have to go to the Costco near me that sells alcohol and snag a bottle.

Good blending can produce a great poduct, bu my favourite right now is Caol Ila Unpeated - Stitchell Reserve - Bot.2013 Scotch Whisky : The Whisky Exchange

I really like the Caol Ila Unpeated. Each year on the night before the Super Bowl a group of us congregate in a neighbor's backyard around a fire and we spend the night drinking and whatever, no matter what the weather. It's now going on 11 or 12 years as a tradition. There is usually all kinds of scotch in attendance. Someone always brings a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue. It's expensive but I find it uninspiring. Lagavulin 16 is usually there. My favorite. And someone brought the Caol Ila Unpeated. I was immediately a fan.

I ran across a single malted at Total Wine called Grangestone rum barrel finish, it's very nice.

My wife found a bottle of the Grangestone at Costco last Christmas, called me and asked if she should get it. Who am I to say no to a new scotch to try. I liked it. Not all that memorable but enjoyable.

There are so many out there. Lagavulin is my "go to". But I'm always trying new ones. Especially Islay scotches. Love the peat. Aaaaahhhh, the peat.

Top Bottom