What's new

Watch Servicing

Anyone give me their pick for a good but affordable place to have my Tag Heuer Diver serviced? Just looking for a cleaning and battery replacement.

Last time it needed service I sent it back to Tag, but I don't want to commit that kind of cash right now. The battery's almost dead, but I need new spectacles, too. I am trying to figure out a way to afford both at the same time.

IMO, to put in a new battery you don't need much other than a battery shop (interstate batteries, etc). Not sure as far as a cleaning, but if its a quartz watch I wouldn't do much other than polishing myself.

Some jewelers make you you think you need it serviced by a Tag AD, but that's nonsense. If you're lucky, they may ask you if you want the pressure in the case to be set so you can "dive with it". What an upsell...

Gaskets will need to replaced so if you take it to a battery shop they will replace the battery but nothing else. A local watchmaker should be able to handle the job. You need to call and find out what they will do and for how much. Most importantly, make sure they do the work in-house and don't send it out.

Depending on where you are in CT, I'd recommend (highly) Matt at CT Timekeepers. I have had him work on a couple of my watches. He only pressure checks Rolexes for some reason, though, and even then, the warranty for waterproofness is only for 90 days. So if you actually use your diver for diving, I'd personally go with Tag. I send mine to David Harvey in Norwalk, where I got it, and they send it to Tag.

I've not used RGM before, but in doing research earlier in the year I found they had very good reviews. I'm not sure if you spend any time on watchuseek.com, but that's where I read the reviews and found them.

http://www.rgmwatches.com/

I've had my Rolex Oyster serviced once in about 30 years that I've had it. I had it serviced by a Rolex Technician at a local watch shop that is an authorized Rolex dealer. It doesn't run on a battery...pure mechanical movement, though....so I don't have any batteries to replace on a regular basis.

A friend of mine had his Rolex Divers serviced by a non Rolex technician and water leaked into the watch.

I don't know what the value of your Tag-Heuer is, but I think I would have it serviced at a Tag-Heuer authorized service center.

If you like the watch and it is valuable....why take a chance ?

Last edited:
If you have a quartz watch and once the battery is changed it runs as it should all you need is the battery and the gasket change. Maybe a ten minute job if the are slow. Any watch place should be able to do it. It's not like it's a mechanical piece requiring an overhaul.

If you have a quartz watch and once the battery is changed it runs as it should all you need is the battery and the gasket change. Maybe a ten minute job if the are slow. Any watch place should be able to do it. It's not like it's a mechanical piece requiring an overhaul.

No ..it's the Wolverine that's the meanest animal on the planet, not the Badger, although they are both member of the Weasel family. Referring to your line:

" Remember, the next time you pick up your badger brush-Badgers are the meanest orneryest animals on the planet. A mountain Lion and a bear won't mess with them."

Top Bottom