What's new

Watch Choice

It's kind of a long story but as a result of some work I did for a friend's father (that I assumed was pro bono) I'm being offered that choice of a Ulysse Nardin Marine Chronograph or an IWC Pilot Mark XVi. I don't have photos of the actual watches so I clipped the ones below from the net. The IWC actually has a white dial. Both watches are in the collection of the guy above and in as new condition. Personally, I'd prefer leather straps but I guess I can acquire those in the aftermarket. Any thoughts?

$$T2eC16R,!zQE9s3ssNzFBRs(,3Wz5!~~60_3.jpg$50.jpg

I love the clean, bold lines of the IWC. The UN has a bit too much "antique" feeling for my tastes....but watches are all about personal tastes....so.....

I generally would opt for an IWC but both of those watches are beautiful each in their unique way. You sir have a wonderful dilemma.

I've been drooling over IWC's as one of my next watches to get. They have the classic clean look to them that I really like. The UN is a great watch too, but like others have said, its really about your own personal taste.

Thanks guys, it is a personal choice but I like both so it's a difficult call. The comments about the cleaner look of the IWC focused my attention on that aspect, which I think has helped me with the decision.

Is that UN top sub-dial for the moon phase or something else? IMO both have a classic (iconic) look and you will not go wrong with either choice. Beyond choosing based on simple lines or not, the choice is also about details such as do you want to be reminded of WWII or a different era when you look down at your wrist.

Is that UN top sub-dial for the moon phase or something else? IMO both have a classic (iconic) look and you will not go wrong with either choice. Beyond choosing based on simple lines or not, the choice is also about details such as do you want to be reminded of WWII or a different era when you look down at your wrist.

When I copied the image for the UN I got the wrong one. Below is the correct dial. To be honest, while I know IWC's pilot watches were widely used in WWII (and their factory accidentally bombed by the US), I don't think it's the type of iconic item that jogs (at least my) thoughts of the war, like say a Luger would.

$indepth_image.372471.jpg

I'd go with the Ulysse. It looks much more unique and distinct, and will look great with a leather band. I'm sure you probably already have something similar to the IWC in your collection.

I need to start charging more for my "pro bono" work. I'm lucky to get a plate of dry brownies for the stuff I do!

Hoo, boy - nice problem. Myself, personally I don't like symmetry. That applies as much to a photograph as it does a watch face. So the most recent pic of the UN catches my eye more so than the other but still I hesitate. If the UN were in a black face I would jump all over it.

So every time I thought about it I changed my mind and when he asked I told him I was having a hard time making a decision. He told me to take both which I quickly turned down as I was already uncomfortable with his generosity. But then he mentioned that he had an OEM alligator strap for the IWC in addition to stainless steel and that cinched it.

$DSC00379.jpg$DSC00382.jpg

I was about to give a shout for the Ulysse, but seeing the IWC on the alligator strap has changed my mind. Great choice, lovely time piece!:wink2:

Top Bottom