What's new

Watch Advice ...

I've been interested in buying a wrist watch, but I haven't been having much luck and thought I'd see if anyone could steer me in some helpful directions. I'm looking for something that I'd think would be quite basic, simple, and easy to find: round & white (could be off-white or something like that) face, at least some numbers (as opposed to only tick marks and preferably arabic numerals), blue or blue(d) hands and that's about it. I don't dive or drive race cars and I don't need it to tell me what time it is in a couple different time zones. In terms of a budget, I've thought maybe $2-300.

I've been looking at the various manufacturers I can think of and that might be in my budget (e.g. citizen, seiko, orient), but I haven't been able to find something. I've been beginning to think that maybe I should consider vintage as I think I'd prefer the smaller size compared to the modern sized ones and I tend to prefer vintage things anyways (both safety razors and fountain pens). If I were to go the vintage route, are there any reputable websites that I should be looking at? Alternatively, maybe somebody knows something that is currently produced that might fit the above parameters and could recommend that. Any guidance?

A Neo would be great (but I cannot find out what it costs in the US):

proxy.php

I paid 300 euros for a Max Bill by Junghans:

proxy.php

Maybe a Seiko, preferably a 5?

proxy.php

There's also a couple of nice Citizens:

proxy.php

For your price range you can get a vintage Omega if you shop right. For much less you can get a vintage Seiko.

Steve

I may get laughed right on out of here, but I've got a couple of nice Stauer watches that are very classic and round. Timex also makes some decent classic look watches. If you can find a nice vintage, you may wind up with a higher end watch for less.

Wow that Citizen Eco is nice. I had a divers Eco that died after a few years. I myself would recommend an automatic watch. I don't think the Citizen would last as long as an automatic in terms of longevity.

Wow that Citizen Eco is nice. I had a divers Eco that died after a few years. I myself would recommend an automatic watch. I don't think the Citizen would last as long as an automatic in terms of longevity.

Well, yes and no. I still have an EcoDrive that I wore daily in 2003 that is still ticking away on my dresser today. Never had any issues with anything. I'm sure one day the battery will stop holding a charge, but would it be any sooner than when a recommended service on an automatic would be? I would say, on average, no. I think the bad luck of getting an EcoDrive that lasts two years is about the same as the bad luck of picking up an automatic that is +/- 2 mins a day.

If you want vintage, my $.02: The LOTH has always wanted an AirKing Rolex. The mens style with a larger face. Simple, classy and yes on the lower end of the Rolex line. Here is what I did: Went to a local jeweler and talked to them about helping me find one. They said they'd help, but they also suggested I check out estate sales in the local classifieds. Next thing I know (literally 3-4 weeks later) I see an add for vintage jewelry amongst other things. I called the # and they had what I wanted. On top of that, I got what would be about a 3k watch for $550. Sure, I got lucky. I would've never thought to do it if it hadn't been recommended to me. If your not in a hurry it may work for you...good luck!

Thanks for the recommendations and keep them coming! I like the clean and uncluttered looks of some of the MeisterSinger & Junghans ones, but they may be a bit out of my price range. I might be able to go up a bit, especially as some of those Christopher Ward ones do look nice as well. I'll have to see if I can find that Citizen one in a local store as the face seems a bit cluttered with the extra dials, but it might not look as distracting in person.

If I go the vintage route, can anyone recommend websites/dealers that I should be looking at? Based on experiences with fountain pens and safety razors, I'm guessing that eBay is potentially trouble if I don't know what I'm looking for. Any tips on where to look for a vintage one that I can be confident will be in fairly described/priced, not fake, etc.?

Thanks for the recommendations and keep them coming! I like the clean and uncluttered looks of some of the MeisterSinger & Junghans ones, but they may be a bit out of my price range. I might be able to go up a bit, especially as some of those Christopher Ward ones do look nice as well. I'll have to see if I can find that Citizen one in a local store as the face seems a bit cluttered with the extra dials, but it might not look as distracting in person.

If I go the vintage route, can anyone recommend websites/dealers that I should be looking at? Based on experiences with fountain pens and safety razors, I'm guessing that eBay is potentially trouble if I don't know what I'm looking for. Any tips on where to look for a vintage one that I can be confident will be in fairly described/priced, not fake, etc.?

All I can tell you about my experience was eBay, as told to me, was the only place not to look for vintage buys. Specifically higher end watches can be taken apart and worked on, yet never fully fixed, etc...rendering them useless to the untrained eye. Id steer clear.

$Times-Easy-Reader.jpg

This should be in your closet. or on your wrist. its 30 bucks max dude. and its stylish. and it has a 10 year battery guarantee. what more could you want? dont hate cause its a timex. save money and stil look awesome. at the very least it could be your in between watch while you save to get a super nice vintage one.

I've thought about one of the Timex ones and I like the clean and uncluttered face. I'd really like blue or blued hands, though. Still, at that price ...

Have you looked at the Seiko 5 range? They have a variety of styles, medium sized and a very reliable automatic movement.

I confess my ignorance. What is the Seiko 5 range?

If it were a few years ago, a Seiko Spirit Blue Spark might have fit the bill at around $250-$300:

proxy.php

Unfortunately they're out of production, so you'd have to do some hunting and waiting to get one off of a watch forum.

$cdb05001w.jpg$cdb05001w-1.jpg

Orient Goldeneye - Automatic, Sapphire Crystal, 38.5mm Case Diameter (relatively small by today's standards), Arabic on the "12" and "6". Everything but the blue/blued hands. Listed for $315 on Orient's website, but they always have 30% off + Free Shipping promo codes floating around all the time. IMO, you'd be getting a lot for the price.

Top Bottom