What's new

Wassail

I have been looking around for a wassail recipe. So far, I have learned that there are many variations of it, which may or may not include cider, brandy, eggs, or a number of other things as well. It can also be simple or complicated, depending on cooking down apples in the oven, ingredients, or just putting it all in a slow cooker.I'm hoping for a simple traditional recipe. Any ideas?

This is the recipe from the Colonial Williamsburg Cookbook. It served at one of the Inns there. I serve it at most famly gatherings in the winter and it's a hit.

WASSAIL
----------
1 cup sugar
4 cinnamon sticks
3 lemon slices
2 cups pineapple juice
2 cups orange juice
6 cups dry red wine
½ cup lemon juice
1 cup dry sherry
2 lemons, sliced for garnish

Make a flavored simple syrup by boiling the sugar cinnamon sticks, and 3 lemon slices in ½ cup of water for 5 minutes. Discard cinnamon sticks and lemon slices. Heat the remaining ingredients, together with the sugar syrup in a large pot. DO NOT BOIL. (Alcohol boils out at 173°F)
Keep warm in with a crock pot set to low – serve in mugs or glasses with handles. Garnish each serving with lemon slices.

Do you want cider or wine based? And by cider I mean the proper stuff that's actually alcoholic! From what I gather it's a relatively unused term for mulled cider

Do you know I've been going to farm wassails for many years here in Gloucestershire and have never heard of a drink called wassail!

Here it's a ceremony with much noise and drinking and pouring of cider around the apple trees to encourage a good crop next year. Did I mention much drinking?

WAES HAEL...

Gareth

Last edited:
Bloody'ell, strongbow mixed with London pride? That'll rot your guts in no time. Try it with a better quality cider (I.e. most certainly not strongbow, which I'm not sure has ever seen an apple in its life)

edit - I'd be tempted to try it with a still scrumpy (cider) and a honey ale in place of the booze in that recipe

Last edited:
Bloody'ell, strongbow mixed with London pride? That'll rot your guts in no time. Try it with a better quality cider (I.e. most certainly not strongbow, which I'm not sure has ever seen an apple in its life)

edit - I'd be tempted to try it with a still scrumpy (cider) and a honey ale in place of the booze in that recipe

Snakebite! Horrible memories of student days on that mix! Mind you, we had proper scrumpy for it. They can't get the real cider in the states as far as I know. There may be a few micro producers springing up of course but I very much doubt they'd get proper scrumpy which I always drink far too much at when I go to the local apple orchard wassails - and I'm supposed to be playing my squeezebox for the Gloucestershire Wassail song!

Gareth

I worked behind a bar for years at a biker pub and we used to make "Arsehole's Snakebite" - half a pint of a scrumpy called Red Diesel that was between 8 and 9% and half a pint of Stella. Bloody lethal that was! I wish we had some orchards around here

Top Bottom