What's new

Wardonia Revelation

I decided to read this thread because Marcus and I seem to have identical taste when it comes to razors. (Go Ikon Tech!) My hesitation here is having to modify blades. I have no interest in wielding tools as part of my shaving experience. One of you alluded to versions of the razor that require no blade mods--can any of you tell me how to identify one?

I decided to read this thread because Marcus and I seem to have identical taste when it comes to razors. (Go Ikon Tech!) My hesitation here is having to modify blades. I have no interest in wielding tools as part of my shaving experience. One of you alluded to versions of the razor that require no blade mods--can any of you tell me how to identify one?

It's the earlier sets that take standard DE blades (as well as the all metal open comb version).
The later "Devon" and "Rugby" sets take the proprietary blades.
Not sure how you'd tell from a photo, but have a look at Nigel Sharpe's excellent resource on these razors, which might give some clues:

http://www.wardoniarazors.co.uk/SR22.htm

You got to gauge them by the gap between the pins in the top cap, or between the holes on the base plate.
If they look too close together to take a modern blade well...they won't take a modern blade.

Well they will with some modification.

The open comb takes standard DE blades, as do the earlier Bakelite models (see above quotes).
And yeah Go Shavecraft Tech!
I know you love that razor and you will surely approve of the Wardonia too.

And here's a comparison of the pin spacing on the older and newer Wardonias - the wider spaced pins on the older models (in this case the brown Wardonia) will accept the standard DE blades:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Ha ha - I want to try one of those Clix now [emoji3]

Here's mine. I usually sub out the handle for something a little heavier. But honestly, the fat Bakelite stock handle, as odd as it looks, gives a very good grip and is quite comfortable.

$IMG_5638.jpg

Here's a better look at the gap. As you can see, it appears pretty menacing, but (I believe because of the narrow exposure) the shave is actually quite mild feeling, but still quite efficient. Also as you can see, this is not exactly a work of art, as the casting finishing is a little rough around the edges, but it is smooth where it counts.

$IMG_5639.jpg

All this renewed talk about the Wardonia has me lining up mine for tomorrow's shave. I have the narrow pins and modify a blade to fit.

Last night I bought this off of ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182025284508?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It has "Myatt" stamped on the top. I tried but couldn't find any info on it.

As it is a all metal open comb, I'm guessing that it will take normal blades?

Not an expert here, but I would think that would be the case with any open comb version. From the tiny picture that's available now, it looks like it has the wide pins, and if that is the case then it would certainly fit a regular unmodified blade.

Last night I bought this off of ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182025284508?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It has "Myatt" stamped on the top. I tried but couldn't find any info on it.

As it is a all metal open comb, I'm guessing that it will take normal blades?

That's a British Myatt (made by WJ Myatt) open comb, not a Wardonia, though probably from the '30s too.

If you look closely you will see that the pins are elongated and hexagonal as are the holes in the base plate.
This means that it will not take standard blades.

But Witterm came up with an easy fix, just use a standard cap instead (like an Old Type cap) and the normal blades will then fit.

2/29
WARDONIA Bakelite / Voshkod (2)
Proraso Blue Cream
Rubberset Vintage Pure Bristle (NOS)
Aubrey Organics Northwoods ASB
Aubrey Organics Northwoods AS

Today's shave was with my little used Wardonia razor that was designed for the 3 hole "Barrel Blades". A blade must be modified to fit this razor and this is my 5th shave with the Wardonia. I had picked up two of these in an antique mall, a ream colored one and this brown one, and I PIF'ed the cream one. This has to be one of the most aggressive razors in my den. It shaves smoothly, but as I had not used it for some time, I gave myself two tiny weepers on the second pass before I realized I was using a little to much pressure and the angle needed to be adjusted somewhat. I did end up with a Dolphin smooth BBS, thanks to the excellent lubricating and cushion properties of the Proraso cream. Finishing off with the Aubrey Organics ASB, and AS left my face feeling smooth and refreshed. The AS did have a little more bite than usual, but still a most excellent shave.

proxy.php

proxy.php

2/29
WARDONIA Bakelite / Voshkod (2)
Proraso Blue Cream
Rubberset Vintage Pure Bristle (NOS)
Aubrey Organics Northwoods ASB
Aubrey Organics Northwoods AS

Today's shave was with my little used Wardonia razor that was designed for the 3 hole "Barrel Blades". A blade must be modified to fit this razor and this is my 5th shave with the Wardonia. I had picked up two of these in an antique mall, a ream colored one and this brown one, and I PIF'ed the cream one. This has to be one of the most aggressive razors in my den. It shaves smoothly, but as I had not used it for some time, I gave myself two tiny weepers on the second pass before I realized I was using a little to much pressure and the angle needed to be adjusted somewhat. I did end up with a Dolphin smooth BBS, thanks to the excellent lubricating and cushion properties of the Proraso cream. Finishing off with the Aubrey Organics ASB, and AS left my face feeling smooth and refreshed. The AS did have a little more bite than usual, but still a most excellent shave.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Excellent! These are such great razors and it's good to see them in action [emoji3]

Well... turns out the wide spaced pin model I've just received needs a blade mod too (outermost tabs removed) but man what an amazing shave. So so so so smooooooooth!!
And so so so so close!!
proxy.php

And here's what we've been waiting for -
Nigel Sharpe of the Wardoniarazors site has compiled this chart showing the different Wardonia razors with dates and blade compatability:
proxy.php

Thanks Nigel!

Well I am SHOCKED by what an amazing shave the all metal open comb Wardonia gives:
proxy.php

It is about as aggressive as a 2013 R41 but unquestionably the smoothest DE I have ever used.

I'm not sure how they've accomplished this - the vintage British Wilkinson blade helps but perhaps it's big blade gap coupled with small blade exposure.

It allows for steep angle shaving and I got an absolutely gorgeous irritation free shave.
Wow...just wow!
Since seeing this I've been trawling eBay and the rest of the internet daily. I really want one!

Apart from the above, would you have any clues as to where I might look to pin one of these babies down please? :blink:

Since seeing this I've been trawling eBay and the rest of the internet daily. I really want one!

Apart from the above, would you have any clues as to where I might look to pin one of these babies down please? :blink:

eBay and Etsy are good sources but these razors are thin on the ground.

Laurel, Myatt and Velvet all have razors with identical handles and presumably identical heads, so look out for them too (ha ha - I am).

All these razors were actually made by Myatt or Laurel (we're still not sure which) and then distributed to Wardonia and the other companies.

eBay and Etsy are good sources but these razors are thin on the ground.

Laurel, Myatt and Velvet all have razors with identical handles and presumably identical heads, so look out for them too (ha ha - I am).

All these razors were actually made by Myatt or Laurel (we're still not sure which) and then distributed to Wardonia and the other companies.
My renewed search starts NOW. Many thanks. :thumbup:

I am very fortunate to have acquired this prototype Wardonia with a construction like the Single Ring.
It takes standard Gillette blades, has a long metal handle and weighs in at just under 80g.
Is this the ultimate Wardonia?
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

Nigel Sharpe has five of these which he got at the Wardonia liquidation sale in the '80's (although three of them do not have the baseplate installed) and a collector in Italy has one in a bakelite box, and now the seventh example is with me down here in Devon.
This is the only one with the Wardonia name on the baseplate so perhaps this is the final pre-production model.

And you can guess how well it shaves.
There's a slight sensation of blade flex which makes the shave similar in feel to the R41 but with considerable extra weight.
So smooth and with such a smart, comfortable long lasting result - wow!
proxy.php

Congratulations on such a rare beast Marcus - it is a beauty!

Thanks David!

And following witterm's genius idea with the Myatt Daymark, here's a cool mod to convert any Wardonia to accepting standard DE blades.

You will need:
1) An Old Type cap
2) Some needle files

Using the needle files, extend the holes in the Wardonia baseplate to accomodate the pins of the Old Type cap.
Voilá! Your Wardonia will now accept standard blades!
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Top Bottom