What's new

Wade & Butcher, differences in trademark.

Ok, I have a meager collection of old Wade and Butcher razors. I notice that there are subtle differences in the trademark, namely the number of fletchings on the arrow. I have razors with four, five and six fletchings. could this be a rudimentary way of differentiating the year of mfg, or model quality? also there is a difference in the tang markings, namely the presence or absence of "manufactured by" and also whether straight across or in an arc. Again are there any definitve works that document this, or has this information been lost to time?

Subscribed...

I never thought to pay att'n to these nuances. The only thing I know is whether "England" is present. If not, then the razor is likely pre-1891…..I'd be curious to learn more about the arrow, etc...

JP

Wade and Butcher was in business for so long and made so many different razors, you could write a book on the variety of stamps they used while in operation. One of their earliest stamps was simply a big anchor. "Made in Sheffield" was something that appeared about 1840's or later. WR, VR, will also narrow down the years, but not every WB carried those stamps even during those periods. Lummus' text gives you some info, uniclectica gives you a minimum. I know of a couple others but can't think of them offhand. As far as fletchings go, I've never read anything saying that fletchings indicate year. It's doubtful, because the company was in business over 100 years.

Top Bottom