What's new

Vocabulary rant

I once had to explain to a colleague that “invaluable” was not an insult and, in fact, was higher praise than “valuable.” I’m still not sure he believed me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

speaking of redundant, a regional bank in my area is United Community Bank, or UCB as the letter people would have us call it. their web address is ucbbank.com....yes, united community bank bank.com. I have to assume it's the vagaries of domain naming as ucb.com is an obviously large pharam company.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Most mis-use "current" - as in "Current Affairs" .. Current is electricity, present is nowadays .. but then again, how many angels really can dance on the head of one (1) pin?

The real problem is most of the moron class don't glom B&B but somehow persist

I just HIT UP the ATM MACHINE, went to my favorite Chinese restaurant and bought some FRIED NOODLES NOODLES.
proxy.php

Most mis-use "current" - as in "Current Affairs" .. Current is electricity, present is nowadays .. but then again, how many angels really can dance on the head of one (1) pin?

Current is a noun and an adjective, so current affairs are affairs happening presently, BTW.

garyg

Current is a noun and an adjective, so current affairs are affairs happening presently, BTW.

As a noun, current in my humble mind, might mean water flow .. glad to see someone here knows what a noun is

I agree with you.

However, I also posit that current describes the present time and anything related to it.

Miriam Webster currently has a few thoughts on the matter.

Definition of current
(Entry 1 of 2)

1 - a - archaic : RUNNING, FLOWING
b - (1): presently elapsing - the current year
(2): occurring in or existing at the present time - the current crisis, current supplies, current needs
(3): most recent - the magazine's current issue, the current survey
2: used as a medium of exchange
3: generally accepted, used, practiced, or prevalent at the moment, current fashions, current ideas about education
current

noun
Definition of current (Entry 2 of 2)

1a: the part of a fluid body (such as air or water) moving continuously in a certain direction
b: the swiftest part of a stream
c: a tidal or nontidal movement of lake or ocean water
d: flow marked by force or strength
2a: a tendency or course of events that is usually the result of an interplay of forcescurrents of public opinion
b: a prevailing mood : STRAIN
3: a flow of electric chargealso : the rate of such flow
Other Words from currentSynonyms & AntonymsChoose the Right SynonymMore Example SentencesLearn More about current
Other Words from current
Adjective

currently adverb
currentness noun
Synonyms & Antonyms for current
Synonyms: Adjective

conventional, customary, going, popular, prevailing, prevalent, standard, stock, usual

Synonyms: Noun

direction, drift, leaning, run, tendency, tide, trend, wind

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The real problem is most of the moron class don't glom B&B but somehow persist

One finds one’s self wondering what that actually meant, and just how broad a swath of our B&B brethren you are currently insulting ...

Words in papers, words in books
Words on TV, words for crooks
Words of comfort, words of peace
Words to make the fighting cease
Words to tell you what to do
Words are working hard for you
Eat your words but don't go hungry
Words have always nearly hung me
What are words worth?

garyg

One finds one’s self wondering what that actually meant, and just how broad a swath of our B&B brethren you are currently insulting ...

Guess it depends on the receivers, I'd naught insult a B&B member, just for being one .. point was the opposite, that one might get better reading B&B ..

I just HIT UP the ATM MACHINE, went to my favorite Chinese restaurant and bought some FRIED NOODLES NOODLES.
proxy.php
Excusable as English as a second language can be daunting. One of my favorite Chinese restaurants has a whole section on their menu for "Angle" hair pasta. They were very consistent in their spelling. Although I've never been a big fan, I have found this routine amusing:

James Nicoll said:
We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle [sic] their pockets for new vocabulary.
I once had to explain to a colleague that “invaluable” was not an insult and, in fact, was higher praise than “valuable.” I’m still not sure he believed me.
Hah. That's priceless. :whistling:
(see what I did there?)

Could care less when they should be saying could not care less.

I hope folks who are saying the former are saying it "ironically"--I know that is not the correct way to use ironically, but I am afraid that word has drifted in meaning, too. (Actually it serves a purpose. I do not know another word that means what ironic has come to mean in that sense, exactly.) I, too, find it a little grating, but if intentionally ironic, how can I object. Similar is "it's been a minute" when used to mean "it has been a long time." I suppose one could complain about "bad" being used to mean "good." But for some reason I kind of liked that usage. To me it had a nuance of being both good and exciting, maybe risque, or at least "cool," or something to that effect. I suppose it is out of style now.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'd naught insult a B&B member, just for being one .. point was the opposite, that one might get better reading B&B ..

Okay ... your point seemed a bit obscure but now clarified. Thanks.

Top Bottom