What's new

Vintage Simpson 54 restore

$DSC_4916.jpg
$DSC_4991.jpg

This first pic is as I recieved, purchased from BST and in need of new knot. The original was thin and didn't hold water very well. It was best badger, about an 18mm knot by my measurements. I decided to send away to Progress/Vulfix to have a Simpson 3-band Super installed. This all took about 3 weeks. It was 34lbs plus 6ibs shipping...not that bad for my taste. Second pic is the restored brush with new Simpson knot. They also applied a fresh decal at my request and included a correct box as well. Fantastic customer service and fairly reasonable pricing from my perspective. Total height is around 90mm, the loft is set at 46mm. I plan on giving it a trial run later today so I will try to report back on how it performs.

Oh my, that's nice. I especially like that you sent it back to them for the re-knot. Keeps it original and all that stuff.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
That's beautiful, and establishes that there were at least 6 sizes of the 50 series.

Yes, I have not seen that size before. Beautiful brush, thanks so much for sharing it with us. £40 total for super is outstanding and I bet they liked working on it!

Speaking for brush sniffers everywhere... It just doesn't get much better than that.

Who's got it better than Vitos? NOBODY!! (go 49ers)

Thanks to all for the kind words. I have had opportunity to use it a few times and it did not disappoint. Very soft tips with enough backbone for my taste and held plenty of lather for 3 passes. My new favorite brush!

Have Simpsons/Vulfix increased their prices on re-knots? There's another thread that mentions an $85 restoration of a Wee Scot in Super. That's quite a leap up from $65 for a restoration of a 54.

Top Bottom