What's new

Vintage Razors - Do you ever sit back and wonder who used to own them?

I have just a few vintage razors. The oldest I have is a pre-war (1932) Gillette Tech. Every time I bring it out, I can't help but wonder who used to own it, where has it been, how the next person acquired it, and why it got passed down/around. Maybe I'm weird. Do any of you ever wonder the same?

Graydog

Biblical Innards
That's what makes it fun for me
I have a few made in England and I always wondered about the journey that they took to end up with me and still be in such Great shape. Most of mine are from the 30s and 40s
as I tried to find Razors that my Father might have used when he was a young man.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I often think about my Gillette Regent. I ordered it from Ebay from a seller in Greece and wonder how a 1940's gold plated Gillette TTO got there.

Absolutely all the time. My oldest Single Ring (1906) is in my rotation. My Grandpa's were born in 1905 and 06 - both gone. To take it a step further how about the person that first purchased (or made the razor). They were probably at least 25 or older. So that means they were born in the late 1870's or 1880's. Now that's getting back there and neat stuff to wonder about. Of all the vintage razors I have (+50) I've only been able to get actual history on one. I found it in the UK (Gillette #70 set) and talked to the owner's grandson who it sold to me. He said that the razor was his grandpas, a WWII vet who received the razor as a retirement gift in the early 60's. Just one of the many stories associated with these beauties.
IMG_7820.JPG

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It's a thought with surplus rifles ... dropped in the snow at Stalingrad? On the gritty, blasted coral on Kwajalein?

Consider, but don't dwell.

Though I got a Gillette ABC set that way. Buddy couldn't stand the thought of a old dead dude shaving with it.

Things outlive us.

AA

Nope. never have thought about it. Other than the family ones, I am not concerned about who owned them previously.

Yes, and that's one of the reasons my collection continues to expand. I wonder if one was used as a first shave, maybe a first day on the job or a wedding day, perhaps even someone's last day of life. The ones that really get wondering are the ones with a comparable date blade in them. Did they really just languish for years in someone's bathroom drawer?

I have just a few vintage razors. The oldest I have is a pre-war (1932) Gillette Tech. Every time I bring it out, I can't help but wonder who used to own it, where has it been, how the next person acquired it, and why it got passed down/around. Maybe I'm weird. Do any of you ever wonder the same?
I don't really think about it.

For the record your Tech was not produced before 1939. Canadian Techs carried the 1932 patent date (for New design features) for many years.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I often think about my old razors, especially while using them, because they were handed down to me by my Dad. I think it's different when you have a personal link to them.

Every so often...but I think about how cool it is that for being near 70 years old how they are still a benchmark for quality, function and craftsmanship more.

I often wonder that too. I have a 1958 Gillette Fatboy and wonder where it was bought, who used it for all those years in the States and how it's now managed to now be in my house in Scotland And still going strong. Isn't nostalgia great? :001_smile

Looking back at mine, I know who used it: me 1976..1982.

...and my dad: I'll have to guess a bit here, but he probably got it in the 1940s, and used it until '73.

Who used it before my quite impoverished dad? I have no idea. It looks like a 1930s thing.

Top Bottom