What's new

Vintage razor - any info appreciated

I picked up this razor off the bay before christmas for about $26 USD, it was described as a Military Tech with W4 date code puting it at 1951, seller
desribed it as looking unused, and I say I must agree, it looks in mint condition, no wearing or marks, no chips off the bakelite handle, just great condition overall.

Does anyone know much about these razors (it's my first vintage btw) it came with 2 gillette blue blades (the old blue/grey packs, that are unopened, still in the cellophane)

How do these razors shave? seems a shame to use it as I don't think it's ever been used.....but you know......It was made to be used, so I think I'm going to shave with it tomorrow.

$photo 1.jpg$photo 2.jpg$photo 3.jpg

Very nice Tech! While not a commonly-found example (especially in that condition) it is not rare enough to justify being a museum piece, so I would go ahead and do what Gillette intended with it . . . shave!! At that price, there is no modern-day razor that will perform as well or last as long as that one will.

As to military . . . I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think the contract razors of that era were overplated in gold . . . just nickel. Gold is a bit too "bright" for field use. The bakelite handle was most likely to save brass for the Korean War effort. The plastic-handle Tech and Black-Tip Super Speed are both examples of 1951-'52 production that used considerably less brass than their earlier (and later) counterparts. Saving brass during war time was the "natural" thing for a country less than ten years removed from WWII and its massive shortages of consumer goods.

Here is a link to Mr. Razor's Tech page with a bunch of great examples of Gillette Tech razors made over the years - the Tech was Gillette's longest-running production model.

Enjoy the shaves!

Thanks for the info guys, and the link. A very interesting website. I have another Gillette on the way a 67 slim adjustable....is this the start of RAD??

Well, I loaded the Tech with a new Astra today, lathered up with some mama bears toasted coconut and put the razor to the test, felt a tinge of nostalgia as I suspect this is the first time it's seen whiskers in 61 years, but oh boy it gave one smooth, beautiful shave.....certainly gives my EJ DE89 a run for the money!!

Sounds like a good shave! Quite a few guys are very surprised with how well the Tech performs, given its reputation as a "mild" shaver.

Top Bottom