What's new

Vintage Paper, Anyone?

This may seem a little different, but has anyone had any luck sourcing vintage paper?

I came across a bunch of old 'Wilson Jones Shorthand Notes' and I've found I love them. I really don't know the exact vintage, they're in a 50s or 60s style, but I love the way that fountain pens work with them. They give a little more feedback and aren't so smooth like more modern fountain pen friendly papers. They've become my work notebooks. I was curious to see what else is out there.

Excuse the mess, this place is a zoo. (my work bench at the zoo haha!)

15777099670463472472269631431956.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Actually, I scrounge for older paper and have found quite a few. One, very similar to your steno pad @OldSchoolYoungin (Blue Horse shown), and the paper is just great!

I'd guess that about 98% of modern paper widely sold is junk for fountain pens. The vintage products don't bleed, ghost, and make your medium wet writers look like you're using a fat felt tip.

One find I once picked up was a stash of airmail letter pads -- probably from the '40s -- thin stuff like some of the newer Japanese paper. The guys running the estate sale just gave it to me, apparently they figured nobody was going to take it.

bluehorse.JPG

That's exactly what I'm talking about, Nemo. I, too, got mine for free. I guess the guy who gave them to me was thinking, "y'know they sell plenty of paper at the store... But whatever, I'm glad you're excited"

They've become my dailies at work. The paper, at you know, is still a little unlike more modern papers, but has only enough absorbibility to not allow inks to feather. My Parker 51 and 21 are work pens, the 51 with Iroshizuku Asa Gao and the 21 with Diamine Oxbloood. I dunno if I'd want to use much heavier inks on there, though...I think that may be a bit more than the paper was made for.

I have a couple of reams of high rag content legal size paper stuck back. It has yellowed somewhat with age, considering I have had it close to 50 years and it was probably 20-30 years old when I got it.

I have a couple of reams of high rag content legal size paper stuck back. It has yellowed somewhat with age, considering I have had it close to 50 years and it was probably 20-30 years old when I got it.

Call me weird, but I actually like the yellowed and aged look.

I don’t know why but for some reason this thread warms my heart. No I’m not poking fun at you. I’d never considered aged paper to be valued but I actually understand. It has a depth and uniqueness you can’t find elsewhere. I’ll let you return to your regularly scheduled programming. Thanks.

Top Bottom