What's new

Vintage Illinois Razor Strop #9264

I just picked up an Illinois Razor Strop #9264 at a flea market. On the top it says Warranted Finest Quality Genuine Shell. The strop itself is very supple and in great condition. The second component which seamed to be used quite a bit, was loaded with a waxy feeling substance and the other side seamed to something on it but was not waxy feeling. This component is also tubular and flattened.

Now, I wiped the strop with just a slightly damp cloth, let it for a little bit and then gave it a good hand rubbing with just the oils on my hand and took my Genco Masterbarber for 40 laps. I have to say that this doesn't feel like any other of my horsehide strops. The draw was very nice(I would say medium, may slightly lighter).

Does anyone know more about this strop? Does anyone have one of these and if so, what is your experience? When did they cease production?

I will say, so far this is a very nice and functional vintage strop. I have yet to use the secondary component but may use it with a W&B wedge.

Thank you

A couple of photo's added while cleaning the woven component.

proxy.php

proxy.php

That's a beautiful vintage specimen. I have a similar strop and these types are excellent. I suggest using a genuine Bay Rum like Dominica and wiping down the leather and linen to mildly disinfect them. Once dry apply some Illinois strop dressing or neatsfoot oil to the leather condition it a bit. When that dries it should be good to go. It will most likely give decades more service and no hassle with proper maintenance.

I find these old strops work very well. The linen component you describe sounds like what I have on one of my strops. It can be quite aggressive though not as aggressive as a sharpening paste. It will polish an edge and bring it up better that just leather. I've taken a blade that was not passing the HHT and made it pass with ease using my old linen and leather like this one. IMHO they just have something about them that modern strops seem to lack. They not only polish edges to a wonderful keen but they seem to help make them milder at the same time. Could just be my imagination though so take it with a grain of salt. I have soft spot for these.

I think these were made in the late 50's or 60's but I cannot be sure. Good luck with it.

Chris

Top Bottom