What's new

Vintage Gillette...? What do I have?

Just to clarify, a 'flare tip' is one type of the razor that Gillette called the Superspeed.

There should me a letter and a number underneath the baseplate that will tell you the year and the quarter of its manufacture. A=1955, D=1958, etc. The numbers 1-4 indicate first through fourth quarter of the designated year.

It is a pretty easy razor with which to start. Blase loading is simple because of the butterfly doors. Tighten them down before you shave with it.

Have fun.

From what I discern from the pictures this is a second quarter 1954 Super Speed Flare Tip. At least I think I see Z2. Looks nice after a little clean up I would say.

Guido

Gillette Flare-tip SuperSpeed.

The pictures of the underside of the baseplate aren't very clear, but it looks like a Z-2, which would be the 2nd quarter of 1954. It's a mild but efficient shaver.

For pricing info, check out EBay's completed sales logs for Flare-tip SuperSpeeds.

Just to clarify, a 'flare tip' is one type of the razor that Gillette called the Superspeed.

There should me a letter and a number underneath the baseplate that will tell you the year and the quarter of its manufacture. A=1955, D=1958, etc. The numbers 1-4 indicate first through fourth quarter of the designated year.

It is a pretty easy razor with which to start. Blase loading is simple because of the butterfly doors. Tighten them down before you shave with it.

Have fun.

The photos I posted show all the markings/writing on the razor. There are no letters or other numbers.

REG US, Gillette on one side. PAT. OFF. 2. and MADE IN USA on the other.

Indeed, although you can't see it very good on the photos, this is a Z-2. 1954. Wouldn't call that a medium razor. It is very mild.
There is also a Z under Reg. US and a 2 under Pat.Off.
2nd quarter of 1954
Gentlemen, I appreciate your better eyesight than mine. Partly due to my horrible photo taking skills. I thank you both. I think I will pick it up!

Top Bottom