What's new

Vintage French Sprung Paddle Strop

Why did I buy this ???

Because it had those big orphaned puppy dog eyes looking at me in the shop....save me...save me.......

Now I was going to sell it, but I have no idea what it's worth ( any idea anyone ?? )

Then was thinking....is there anything that I can do to this that I can make it useable to keep my shave ready straights in tip top shape.

You can see that there's leather on one side and wood on the other. Is there something I can glue to the bare side instead of having to purchase a hone/coticule ???

Any assistance appreciated.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I would check if the leather side is smooth. You might need some leather conditionner to make it smoother.

How large is it?

Otherwise, yes, you can use it to strop your straights.

Edit: The writing on the box says to put some paste on the wooden side and use the leather to finish the edge...

How large is it?

Otherwise, yes, you can use it to strop your straights.

1.5" wide.

Leather isn't in too bad a shape, just needs some conditioning as you say.

I have strops though ( just go my new Ambrose strop ), the real questions is, can I put/attach anything on the other side to be able to maintain (hone ) my shave ready straights ?

Luc

Staff member
1.5" wide.

Leather isn't in too bad a shape, just needs some conditioning as you say.

I have strops though ( just go my new Ambrose strop ), the real questions is, can I put/attach anything on the other side to be able to maintain (hone ) my shave ready straights ?

According to the box, or what I'm able to read, you should be able to 'hone' directly on the wood. I'm not sure I would do this myself. I rather have a piece of leather attached with a paste... But then, that might be me...

If it's 1.5" you should be able to find a belt that you could cut and glue on that side, apply a paste and voilà!

According to the box, or what I'm able to read, you should be able to 'hone' directly on the wood. I'm not sure I would do this myself. I rather have a piece of leather attached with a paste... But then, that might be me...

If it's 1.5" you should be able to find a belt that you could cut and glue on that side, apply a paste and voilà!

I'm wondering if there wasn't something attached to the wood on the other side that's basically come off ( or even a layer of paste or something ) .........only a newbie guess :001_tt2:

So leather and paste is all I need ???

Luc

Staff member
I'm wondering if there wasn't something attached to the wood on the other side that's basically come off ( or even a layer of paste or something ) .........only a newbie guess :001_tt2:

So leather and paste is all I need ???

Well, according to the box, you are supposed to apply the paste directly on the wood... If you can take a closer picture, I could probably translate it exactly, I'm getting old...

Leather & paste, yes!

I would give the wood side a good sanding, up to like 12k on something very flat, then apply pastes to it. (like a balsa strop)

Top Bottom