What's new

Vintage Fountain Pen Musings

Uncharacteristically, I have been using vintage fountain pens a lot this week. I just had four Sheaffers (3 Snorkels and a Craftsman) restored by Danny Fudge, and I enthusiastically filled all four with different inks upon their arrival. All told, I have 8 vintage fountain pens (Parkers and Sheaffers) that used to belong to relatives (great-grand parents, grand parents, aunt and dad). Six of these pens are engraved with the original owner's name, so these were likely gifts. These pens comprise the bulk of my vintage fountain pen collection.

I have been thinking about the condition these pens were in when I found them at my Grandmother's house several years ago, and I'm developing nostalgic feelings for an era I am far too young to have experienced. I'm in my mid thirties. None of these pens were working, and they all had dried ink in them. Did these pens all fail at some point and get thrown in a drawer with the intention of being restored later? Did they get shelved in favor of a newfangled ballpoint pen? Three of the Parkers are nice 51s and the other is a laminated celluloid Vac. Even when these pens were made, I doubt they were cheap to buy. They were an investment. A commitment. That's why most folks stop losing pens after they spend a bunch of money on one. A nice fountain pen has value, and as such, demands care and attention.

I keep wondering about the relationship between these pens and their owners. I never knew three of my vintage pens' owners, but I need to ask my aunt and dad about their old Sheaffers. Were these cherished items? Were they gifts that were used briefly? They weren't thrown away, so they must have meant something to someone.

My aunt's Sheaffer has teeth marks on the knob that is turned to operate the touchdown filler, so clearly that was problematic at some point. My dad swears old Sheaffers never worked properly, although I like the five I have. Surely these pens came with care and feeding instructions. I can see how their useful lifetimes likely ended about the same time as more convenient writing implements became widely available.

These fountain pens would have experienced much more daily use than I give them today. They were probably filled repeatedly without every being flushed/cleaned. I make short notes and lists at work, and I write the occasional letter to a friend or relative. I journal infrequently. Everything was handwritten during these pens' heydays, and I'm guessing they would have been returned to the manufacturer for restoration if anyone bothered.

I wonder if there were fountain pen repair folks around like there are today. Enthusiastic hobbyists who refused to stop using fountain pens. I imagine such individuals would have been difficult to find without the internet if one wished to have a pen repaired. Maybe some of the older B&B members can speak to this. One of the Sheaffer's I sent in for restoration required a new barrel because someone destroyed part of the inside of the original barrel while trying to fix the pen. This may have been an in-house job by an inexperienced relative.

All this makes me think of the transitional period when fountain pens were being set aside as newer writing implements were hitting the market. These necessary items that were likely used on a daily basis ended up stashed in a drawer as relics of an old-fashioned time when people didn't have ballpoints or felt-tip pens. These pens would have been icons of modern design at one point. I suppose nearly everything humans make travels the path of innovation to obsolescence. I enjoy fountain pens because I consider them to be timeless, useful tools, however. They are the very antithesis of our disposable modern society.

Anyway, I'm discovering the joys of writing with vintage fountain pens. The nibs are unique, and the filling systems are interesting. I don't see myself collecting vintage fountain pens, but they sure do carry a lot of history with them, which is, in my opinion, worth stopping to wonder about for a few moments during a busy work day.

-Andy

Last edited:

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
All valid and interesting points. I think that pens were eventually put in drawers as technology advanced and disposable pens became available. What we perceive as being relaxing and interesting where sometimes viewed as inconvenient to those that had to actually use the item and care for it daily. I won't get ink on my hands anymore, and i don't have to fill it? Its called a Bic? SIGN ME UP!!! I am reminded of my grandfather. In my earlier years he would shave all the grandkids necks/sideburns with his Goldedge DublDuck. So when I started to delve heavily in the wet shaving in my early twenties I asked him if he wanted me to buy him items. His response to me was, "why would I use the razor when disposable razors are so much quicker and easier?"

I have read on a few forums the fact that many pen stores had on site repair people. I believe as the market died off, so did the need for those repair personal. While there may have not been nibmeisters, people did modify their own nibs and Esterbrook provided around twenty different nibs.

Following up on Isaac's thought, it's interesting that we can never quite see these objects as their first users did. To me, my vintage Conklin Crescents are highly functional antiques, their age an inseparable part of their character. To Mark Twain, they were an innovative modern convenience, superior to the dip pens he had grown up with.

An Esterbrook user of the late forties or early fifties might have thought that his J models were a good value, and kept a couple with different nibs, but he probably wouldn't have bothered to collect one of each celluloid color.

Sometimes when I am writing with an older pen, I just stop to admire the look of the pen next to the paper: a worn BCHR antique with the gold nib curving in a way that isn't quite duplicated in any modern pen, the look of vintage celluloid, so much more attractive than most modern plastics, the recessed lever of a filling system that now seems so quaint. I have modern pens that are also a pleasure to use, but I stop less often just to look at them.

There are no doubt artifacts of our time which will be appreciated more in fifty or a hundred years. Even a Bic Cristal may seem fascinating when writing with ink on paper is nearly a thing of the past. An uncracked vintage TWSBI may look to a collector of 2114 the way my Conklins look to me now.

I've spent most of my business years pushing, pulling, creating, advocating, and evangelizing high technology. (30 years) When I retired from high tech and went back to teaching I seem to have turned a corner.

I no longer have the most up-to-date cell phone... - My cell phone is a phone. I talk on it. It flips open. I don't use or accept text messages.

I no longer carry electronic PDA technologies... - I use paper...

I no longer carry an electronic notebook/pad to meetings and seminars... I use paper journals. This is a big change. I was part of the first wave of portable computer users. Flights were delayed because the flight crew spent time playing with my big, heavy laptop.

I enjoy writing with a quality fountain pen. I enjoy taking my time. I enjoy not being connected to the electronic world on a continual basis. I don't always answer the phone...

Life is good!

Bob

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
To me, there is a bit of mystery attached to the vintage pens, as you say. Yes, I know the previous owner of my first quarter of 1947 Parker51- it was Brian. But who had it before him? Did they use it for work? What did they do? I know Doug likes to get engraved pens. I know I would never look away from them- it is just another piece of the mystery. Part of the reason my 51 gets the edge over my M200 is because of this. That, and it reminds me of a time when we used to build quality products. The pen is 67 years old and still going. Yeah, it has probably had its rubber parts replaced (to be expected after so long), but the rest is still going strong.

I've spent most of my business years pushing, pulling, creating, advocating, and evangelizing high technology. (30 years) When I retired from high tech and went back to teaching I seem to have turned a corner.

I no longer have the most up-to-date cell phone... - My cell phone is a phone. I talk on it. It flips open. I don't use or accept text messages.

I no longer carry electronic PDA technologies... - I use paper...

I no longer carry an electronic notebook/pad to meetings and seminars... I use paper journals. This is a big change. I was part of the first wave of portable computer users. Flights were delayed because the flight crew spent time playing with my big, heavy laptop.

I enjoy writing with a quality fountain pen. I enjoy taking my time. I enjoy not be connected to the electronic world on a continual basis. I don't always answer the phone...

Life is good!

Bob

* Congratulations on turning that wonderful corner, Bob! I am still trying to understand computers so I can participate on these forums and share pics as I am still a bit of a Luddite! I guess I haven't progressed much. My students are always amazed when they find out I have never owned a cell-phone! They look at me in awe and disbelief and ask me how I can live without one. :blush:

Last edited:
For me, vintage fountain pens are like the vintage razors I use: designed for the long haul, with performance equal to or better than the more modern items. I also like the fact that most of the razors and fountain pens I have are American made.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
There does seem to be an ebb and flow to the attraction of the new. In Albany we have quite a few four story brownstones downtown and many of the owners covered all the beautiful woodwork with that new latex paint in the middle of the last century. 50 years later the next owners are stripping the paint off and wondering what was wrong with these people.

I don't have any vintage pens (yet), but there is an undeniable attraction to using a tool that was appreciated the same way by my ancestors. I've always hated cheap pens, so the main reason I use a fountain pen is that it works so much better - but there is a romance to the process.

Top Bottom