What's new

Vintage Feather 3 piece razor

I recently won an auction with a vintage 3piece Feather razor. I have heard and seen some but this one look different and it intrigued me. It looks like a UK RFB but with posts instead if slot bar.Anyone have any info on these razors?
A9B5B4FC-36BF-49A6-A66D-195916337E1E.jpeg
C6AA9711-3442-41C5-9915-D1BC4CF69419.jpeg
E29F20F8-5B39-4B6E-BBC4-DF05F4E44351.jpeg
B7BA721D-81A0-47AF-8057-434596AF585F.jpeg
67E02551-67A2-4247-9B47-2E7BC0152FD4.jpeg
93550781-16E7-4680-B519-F32362D9701A.jpeg
B2554E3E-28D9-4754-A80C-0B8375C77603.jpeg
A9B5B4FC-36BF-49A6-A66D-195916337E1E.jpeg

I recently won an auction with a vintage 3piece Feather razor. I have heard and seen some but this one look different and it intrigued me. It looks like a UK RFB but with posts instead if slot bar.Anyone have any info on these razors?View attachment 1548246View attachment 1548247View attachment 1548248View attachment 1548249View attachment 1548250View attachment 1548251View attachment 1548252View attachment 1548246
I think this is a very rare piece.

I suggest it can be dated from 1932 when Feather was founded with that name, to 1940, when the then Japanese government stopped the export of razors, and the import of foreign models. During the war years Feather had over 80% of the Japanese domestic DE razor market, with smaller companies filling in the remainder. Straights were banned from manufacture after 1940.

It was 1947 at least before Feather began manufacturing again, and by then they were very interested in making variants of the classic Techs of the period.

This looks like a quite high end razor intended for the export market. Note NSK on the base plate. I am trying to find out what that stands for.

@Jorvaljr Can you take the blades out and photograph the labels? If these are pre-war Feather blades that would be amazing.

Note there is a post war OC Feather, but that appears to not have these markings, except on the handle, with Feather written around it. I think it may have been called the No.1. I have seen a couple of boxed examples, a simple cardboard box with a red and yellow label. These may be the first post war export models. The handle is far less ornate.

This is where I got a few basic details of the dates, events mentioned above.

History and Culture of Shaving in Japan - https://www.kamisoriclub.co.jp/en/pages/history-and-culture-of-shaving-in-japan

Last edited:
Note NSK on the base plate. I am trying to find out what that stands for.
That immediately stood out and I have seen something similar. My first thought is Nippon for N. Then Seki city for S. But the K alludes me, there is a Japanese word bouncing around my head that I can't retrieve. Seki shi is in Gifu. I want to say it's the word for crafted or constructed, but I don't know much.

I think this is a very rare piece.

I suggest it can be dated from 1932 when Feather was founded with that name, to 1940, when the then Japanese government stopped the export of razors, and the import of foreign models. During the war years Feather had over 80% of the Japanese domestic DE razor market, with smaller companies filling in the remainder. Straights were banned from manufacture after 1940.

It was 1947 at least before Feather began manufacturing again, and by then they were very interested in making variants of the classic Techs of the period.

This looks like a quite high end razor intended for the export market. Note NSK on the base plate. I am trying to find out what that stands for.

@Jorvaljr Can you take the blades out and photograph the labels? If these are pre-war Feather blades that would be amazing.

Note there is a post war OC Feather, but that appears to not have these markings, except on the handle, with Feather written around it. I think it may have been called the No.1. I have seen a couple of boxed examples, a simple cardboard box with a red and yellow label. These may be the first post war export models. The handle is far less ornate.

This is where I got a few basic details of the dates, events mentioned above.

History and Culture of Shaving in Japan - https://www.kamisoriclub.co.jp/en/pages/history-and-culture-of-shaving-in-japan
Wow thanks for the information!
08F33567-44F5-45CE-9159-0A554531BE40.jpeg
DFC836A7-4867-4FCC-8681-37CA20EB6CB0.jpeg
B240DD4D-D106-47F2-B964-A535BA614A37.jpeg
06C37F52-F7D0-40AC-A3FA-22563B25E36A.jpeg
ABB2A4D0-CFC4-4410-BE99-AC7A332397CB.jpeg
ADE4686C-33EE-4F4F-9A68-A99BBF8BF517.jpeg

R

romsitsa

Japan Safety Razor Co. was renamed to Feather in 1953. And I doubt that a Japanese company producing for the domestic market would have used the latin alphabet.

That immediately stood out and I have seen something similar. My first thought is Nippon for N. Then Seki city for S. But the K alludes me, there is a Japanese word bouncing around my head that I can't retrieve. Seki shi is in Gifu. I want to say it's the word for crafted or constructed, but I don't know much.
It stands for KAI!!

KAI predated Feather. KAI was founded by Saijiro Endo. He set up the Japan Safety Razor Co in 1936.

He had been making razors and blades well before this.

Before this date, he had been using the Feather trademark!

Here is the entire story on the KAI website

HISTORY OF KAI vol.2 | KAI FACT magazine - https://www.kai-group.com/factmagazine/en/issue/3/detail/26/

Congratulations @Jorvaljr, you have what I believe is a pre-war KAI aka Feather razor.

The 'new' Feather company was founded by a relative of Saijiro Endo called Saijiro Endo II. He seems to have recycled the old 'Feather' trademark name. Story is here

HISTORY OF KAI vol.4 | KAI FACT magazine - https://www.kai-group.com/factmagazine/en/issue/5/detail/44/

A complex history, much like the American Safety Razor Co.

No one has really gone into this before, but KAI and 'Feather' are one and the same thing, historically.

KAI - Japanese Safety Razor Co. - Feather.

We have paid more attention to Feather than KAI, when it should have been the other way round.

Last edited by a moderator:
It stands for KAI!!

KAI predated Feather. KAI was founded by Saijiro Endo. He set up the Japan Safety Razor Co in 1936.

HISTORY OF KAI vol.2 | KAI FACT magazine - https://www.kai-group.com/factmagazine/en/issue/3/detail/26/

Congratulations @Jorvaljr, you have what I believe is a pre-war KAI aka Feather razor.

I believe the 'new' Feather company of 1953 was just a recycled old company name which predated WW2.

Much like the complex history of the American Safety Razor Co.
Hot damn that is awesome! Man im excited. I shaved with the feather and a feather blade last night but it wasnt the best shave i had.

It stands for KAI!!

I believe the 'new' Feather company of 1953 was just a recycled old trademark name which predated WW2.

Much like the complex history of the American Safety Razor Co.
That's some research there, I looked through all my Kai products searching for a clue. Any idea what the NSK is then? Nippon Safety Kai?

Hi @Jorvaljr !

Any updates on shaving performance from that amazingly rare 1930's KAI/Japan Safety Razor you have?

I date it to around 1936 based on the KAI history links above I provided. I think those included blades were the original KAI blades made from German imported machinery, also as noted in links above. Also this seems to be the year Saijiro began to use the Feather trade mark, at the same time as he founded the JSRC. This was an attempt to identify his product uniquely, as department stores which were his retail outlets were previously demanding their store names on his razors.

Feather was just a trade mark of KAI/JSR at this point. More properly these are KAI /Japan Safety Razor products. The Feather trade mark was just a convinient attempt at product independence for the consumer from the department store outlet's demands to be identified directly on the razors.

Note this was NOT the modern Feather razor company. That began post war. See the part 4 KAI history link I have posted above.

I'm very proud of this thread, with some real new research!

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
I had one of these for a short while.

More of a flat bottom than RFB variety. VERY blade forward, good for exfoliation, but not something I would like to dance with often.

Top Bottom