What's new

Vintage - educate me

I have a few new razors, including some of the popular high end models. Nothing I have is vintage though. What is all the love here for vintage razors? Is it just a nostalgia thing or do they provide superior shaves? Maybe this is a door I shouldn't open?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
For quite a few of us they were not vintage when we bought them.

While there are a few modern razors that work better than the older razors the older razors still, even after a a half century to century of experience shave really, really, really well.

I have Gillette DEs and Schick DEs and GEM SEs that shave as well today as any of my new razors or so close that the difference lies in things other than the efficiency.

I think it's cool to get a great shave from a razor that's 80 years old...the fact that it's survived all these years and is still a fine shaving instrument is a testament to its quality. And [putting on geezer hat] new-fangled shaving devices just don't make it...just so many throw-aways.

I have a few new razors, including some of the popular high end models. Nothing I have is vintage though. What is all the love here for vintage razors? Is it just a nostalgia thing or do they provide superior shaves? Maybe this is a door I shouldn't open?
I bought my '65 Slim because I wanted one for my 50th birthday.
Having shaved with it over the last 3 years, it gives me great shaves, it's in perfect working condition with no loss of plating in 53 years, and I'd put it up against any "high end modern" razor out there.
When you look at the number of Gillette DE razors still out there, a lot of them older then mine, as a company they made great products, and one that has been copied by many newer companies. The only way to know why guys here like the Gillette razors, is shaving with one.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Nostalgia
Historical
Price
Availability
Collector value
Quality
Durability
Family heirlooms
Display pieces
Excellent shaves

Nostalgia
Historical
Price
Availability
Collector value
Quality
Durability
Family heirlooms
Display pieces
Excellent shaves

+1

I'll add that many of them are extraordinary values, period. For the price of a decent modern Zamak razor, you can often get a terrific all brass razor that will easily outlive you. And unlike modern Zamak razors, vintage brass razors can be refurbished to like-new (or better) cosmetic condition if you want to treat yourself.

Some vintage razors are must-have. I have spent a ridiculous amount of money on razors( hi-end etc.) but I have to say that some vintage shave great, like the Slim Adjustable or the Schick L-type.

I think it's cool to get a great shave from a razor that's 80 years old...the fact that it's survived all these years and is still a fine shaving instrument is a testament to its quality. And [putting on geezer hat] new-fangled shaving devices just don't make it...just so many throw-aways.
I'm in agreement with most of that. I love old technology that is both beautiful & functional (I would have loved to been around in Victorian England) and many safety razors fit the bill. Some razors are IMO absolutely stunning with their subtle yet stunning design and that they've retained their function and aesthetic for this long is just very cool.

This is YMMV! IMO, the basic design issues were worked out in the old days. The modern razors do not provide superior shaves to the vintage models.

Why vintage?

Exhibit A

SAM_1183.JPG
IMG_5575.JPG
IMG_20140828_183620.jpg
RazorsBampB-25_zps7b04d4c0.jpg

I'm in agreement with most of that. I love old technology that is both beautiful & functional (I would have loved to been around in Victorian England) and many safety razors fit the bill. Some razors are IMO absolutely stunning with their subtle yet stunning design and that they've retained their function and aesthetic for this long is just very cool.

I love modern! Give me a current year dentist, physician, for example. Plumbing today is swell. Heating, cooling, also. But old razors, they suck you in.

The historical connection. The solid design and craftsmanship. The lure of the chase of finding a lost 'treasure'. Potential value appreciation (look at current selling prices vs. original retail). Plus DFS's to boot!

These are some of the reasons I enjoy vintage.

Those pictures are worth a thousand word each. Beautiful, and still functional. I can't speak of the high end razors such as Wolfman, ATT, as I've never used one. They are very good looking razors, and I know they get a lot of love here, so I'm sure they are wonderful shavers. The only two modern razors I own are the MTO, it is a good razor, very mild though. I also have a Fatip Piccolo, a very good razor, very efficient and very nice looking. Neither one would be considered high end. I still would not trade my vintage razors for them.

When I started shaving it was on a 7 year old Gillette Super. I still have that exact same razor, plus the one mom used for herself (a 1957 Tech). When my mom downsized into a condo those razors came back into my possession and I began my renewed interest in the vintage double edge. I've since acquired a couple of birth year razors and quite a few that just interested me. Most are better than the budget priced modern razors and many are equal to the finest razors being made today. I really don't think the technology has changed that much.

Cause they just don't make stuff like this anymore. This "Military Set" just turned 100 this year. Now that's just plain neat.
IMG_1456.JPG

Here's how it works.You buy one vintage razor and it shaves ok so then you buy another then another and after you get maybe a dozen vintage razors and use them for a while you start to realize that that over half of them will give you the same excellent shave because your technique has gotten better and you've spent a whole lot of money lol

Top Bottom