What's new

Vintage DE blades

I was kind of thrilled when a guy from work gave me a box full of 8 little boxes of vintage Gillette Blue blades with their little 20 pack dispensers. I used one this morning and it was terribly dull. Is this typical of vintage blades? I will end up just putting the blades in my collection for display if they are that dull. I could not believe how dull it was, and it was definitely a brand new unopened box.

I have a ton of old blades that came with various razor purchases but I have never been brave enough to use them. It's kind of like opening the 20 year old beer you found at the antique store, you can drink it but would you really want to.

I use vintage blades on a regular basis. I have some of the old Blues and I agree with you that they can be quite dull. Some others however are quite usable. It does vary. No vintage carbon steel blade is going to feel as smooth as a modern coated stainless blade. If you want to venture into the world of old carbons you have to adjust your expectations.

I was thinking of using one that comes in the little blue boxes. The blades look brand new sealed, black in color are these the same as you have tried??

I've never tried a vintage carbon steel blade, but the vintage, coated, stainless steel blades by Schick, Gillette, and Wilkinson-Sword are, in my opinion, unequaled by modern blades, though the modern Gillette 7 O'clock Black Super Platinum blade comes pretty close.

Schick Plus Platinum, Gillette Super Stainless (Spoiler), Gillette Platinum Plus, and Wilkinson-Sword "Light Brigade" blades are what I am referring to.

I wouldn't mind locating a few vintage razor blades. My only vintage razor blade that came with my pre-war tech. That one I'm saving for posterity.

The Blue Blade by Gillette is anything but dull IMO. Maybe prep & technique are the issue here(?).

I am using the Astra blade normally, and they work fine with my current prep and technique. The Astra is the cheapest blade on the market I think, although not the worst, it is not nearly the best either. With the same process as used for the Astra (wet face, apply Arko shave stick, face lather, shave) , the Gillette Blue Blade is incredibly dull. I think considering the value of the original unopened packets, the information posted here regarding variation in performance, and the experience I had this morning, I will just put them into my collection of shaving stuff that is starting.

Top Bottom