What's new

Vintage Chinese DE

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=97350
http://www.hhlhk.com/website/index.files/page0009.htm Notice H8

"Flying Eagle. Made by the Kwang Yung Safety Razor Set Factory in Shanghai, this is a 3 piece Tech type razor, available with different coloured plastic handles (including pink!) as well as with metal handles. Most versions seen in the West come in a nicely embossed travel tin and it is reckoned to be a fairly mild shaver. Sometimes these are known under the brand names Suifupai and Seagull."
Brent.

So how old is my model, do you think?

Btw, thanks alot for the intel.:thumbup:

You're welcome.
I'll give you a scientific, wild-assed guess at age.
First, you can get them here: http://www.hhlhk.com/website/
That would be if you wanted to buy half a million units or so.
I'm going to go with Loric, and stay with Year of the Horse, and say 1990. That gives that mirror 20 years to get moisture-aged and lose some edge silver. The horse graphic has a pixilated style that I don't think you would see in 1978 or earlier. The interior looks to be a stylized industrial city, and homage if you will. Puts it right in the Bush-Clinton era.
I would not get hung up on age. I could probably go to San Francisco tomorrow and get one of those kits on Irving street or China town. It's a nice representation of Chinese shaving in the '90's, in my highly egotistical opinion.
Brent.

You're welcome.

First, you can get them here: http://www.hhlhk.com/website/
That would be if you wanted to buy half a million units or so.
Year of the Horse, and say 1990. That gives that mirror 20 years to get moisture-aged and lose some edge silver. The horse graphic has a pixilated style that I don't think you would see in 1978 or earlier. The interior looks to be a stylized industrial city, and homage if you will. Puts it right in the Bush-Clinton era.

Brent.

OMG! I have no words to describe how embarassed I feel. :blushing:
One of the production models looks exactly like mine.....unbelievable!
But these guys only sell in bulk?:w00t:

Thanks alot Massdriver, seriously.

Thanks guys.
I consider myself somewhat lucky to find a nice piece like this.

I take back what I said since I can buy a brand new one exactly the same for probably the same price - this is not so "vintage" as I thought. Oh well, I still think it's a good deal for 15 bucks and it was 5 minutes away from my house!:w00t:

I take back what I said since I can buy a brand new one exactly the same for probably the same price - this is not so "vintage" as I thought. Oh well, I still think it's a good deal for 15 bucks and it was 5 minutes away from my house!:w00t:

Look at it this way..

It is interesting to look at.
It caused 2 pages of buzz on the B&B board.
You may really like using the razor with the proper blade.

Enjoy it.

OMG! I have no words to describe how embarassed I feel. :blushing:
That's not necessary, I just went on a hyper-search psychedelic OCD tour based on a picture I remember. You still have a nice case that not a lot of people on this board have seen, and it only cost 15 bucks. How can you beat that?
Brent.:thumbup:

Very cool looking razor!! The characters on the case, translated literally mean "Double Face Knife Set", so therefore "DE" for us B&B'ers. What a find!! :thumbup1:

I picked up a flying eagle in a local antique shop a while ago, the one with the plastic handle, came in a travel box with a mirror etc, regrding yours, i have seen a few on e bay with cases like yours, in different designs by flying eagle, they look cool:thumbup1:

Hard to tell how things are perceived across cultures. Do you think the horse is as novel to it's intended market as it is to us here in the west? We obviously don't have too many shaving products that have animal graphics, but then again, Apple Computers is named after a piece of fruit. :001_smile

That's not necessary, I just went on a hyper-search psychedelic OCD tour based on a picture I remember. You still have a nice case that not a lot of people on this board have seen, and it only cost 15 bucks. How can you beat that?
Brent.:thumbup:

Thanks alot massdriver for your great help. I am still very please to look at it everyday! Now I'm simply waiting for some blades to arrive.
Cheers.

Very cool looking razor!! The characters on the case, translated literally mean "Double Face Knife Set", so therefore "DE" for us B&B'ers. What a find!! :thumbup1:

FINALLY someone who can translate!!! Marvelous to know, but I was hoping it would say "the golden shaving gate" or something among similar lines.:biggrin1:
Thank you.

I picked up a flying eagle in a local antique shop a while ago, the one with the plastic handle, came in a travel box with a mirror etc, regrding yours, i have seen a few on e bay with cases like yours, in different designs by flying eagle, they look cool:thumbup1:

Ebay is great but MASSDRIVER posted a link to a chinese supplier, so I might buy some from there in the future (as gifts for my dad, brother, etc.).

Thanks for the compliment.

Hard to tell how things are perceived across cultures. Do you think the horse is as novel to it's intended market as it is to us here in the west? We obviously don't have too many shaving products that have animal graphics, but then again, Apple Computers is named after a piece of fruit. :001_smile

These are some of the many mysteries of the world!
We will never really know why, when, where and how.:tongue_sm

To me, it looks like the box was made in the 1950's to 1960's, so I would guess the razor was made at the same time. However, I am no expert on razors.

To me, it looks like the box was made in the 1950's to 1960's, so I would guess the razor was made at the same time. However, I am no expert on razors.

As massdriver said, I strongly believe that it is from the 90's because I can buy the exact same from a chinese supplier.

As massdriver said, I strongly believe that it is from the 90's because I can buy the exact same from a chinese supplier.

Yes, I see what you mean. It's true that the horse does look more modern. He's not a serious horse, but more of a flippant filly.

I think the Chinese kept the old ways of manufacturing around longer than we did. Of course, China is becoming more modern, which means more plastic now in the 2000's.

Anyway, I think it's a cool box and razor.

Yes, I see what you mean. It's true that the horse does look more modern. He's not a serious horse, but more of a flippant filly.

I think the Chinese kept the old ways of manufacturing around longer than we did. Of course, China is becoming more modern, which means more plastic now in the 2000's.

Anyway, I think it's a cool box and razor.

Thanks mate:thumbup:

Carlo, the more I look at it, I think that is a macho Mustang horse kicking up his heels rather than a flippant fille. However, I do enjoy a flippant fille when I can find her.

Top Bottom