What's new

Vikings Blade, The Emperor MEIJI Adjustable Razor

Bought my Meiji in May, and enjoyed using. Kept getting nicks on my chin and neck, usually when buffing or going XTG. Today, two nicks with a fresh Perma-Sharp (no problems with this blade in any other razor I own; first use in the Meiji today), I checked the alignment.

IMG_0443 Medium.png
IMG_0444 Medium.png

This is on setting 5, my usual setting on a 1-9 or 1-10 adjustable. The combed guard (top pic) is clearly lower on one side than the other, while the straight side seems to be okay. Not sure how that can be, but its the same on all settings and gets more pronounced as you get higher.

I'm wondering if it's a similar issue to the Pearl Flexi. Heiko Shaves, on his YouTube channel, found that the spring that governs the base plate movement of the Flexi isn't filed-off and flat across its base, leading to a clear misalignment. Same thing here perhaps?

It's a shame. I adore the looks of the Meiji, but I've had one poor shave too many with it now, so into its box it goes. I can't return via Amazon as I'm outside the 30 day return period. This one I'll chalk up to experience.

Bought my Meiji in May, and enjoyed using. Kept getting nicks on my chin and neck, usually when buffing or going XTG. Today, two nicks with a fresh Perma-Sharp (no problems with this blade in any other razor I own; first use in the Meiji today), I checked the alignment.

View attachment 1714061View attachment 1714062

This is on setting 5, my usual setting on a 1-9 or 1-10 adjustable. The combed guard (top pic) is clearly lower on one side than the other, while the straight side seems to be okay. Not sure how that can be, but its the same on all settings and gets more pronounced as you get higher.

I'm wondering if it's a similar issue to the Pearl Flexi. Heiko Shaves, on his YouTube channel, found that the spring that governs the base plate movement of the Flexi isn't filed-off and flat across its base, leading to a clear misalignment. Same thing here perhaps?

It's a shame. I adore the looks of the Meiji, but I've had one poor shave too many with it now, so into its box it goes. I can't return via Amazon as I'm outside the 30 day return period. This one I'll chalk up to experience.
Have you tried this?

proxy.php

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Its actually a well known flaw, and the company who makes it, is as flawed as the flaw in the razor. The company has come out with making statements such as, the lopsided look between the safety bar and the top cap is normal, they say its a design feature. Really what the company is saying, they spent millions of dollars investing into the production of these razors, and it would cost them millions more to re-design the razor. So rather then admitting fault, that they produced a flawed razor, and to fix their mistake, they rather go down the misleading road, and tell people its a design feature.

Yeah, I have a great question for this so-called razor company. If its a design feature, why is it that, the degree of lopsidedness, seems to change from razor to razor? If its a design feature, wouldn't all of their razors have the same exact degree of lopsidedness? Cause afterall, thats how machining works, its all about precision, if one is going to be off, they all will be off, not at varying degrees of off. The company are lying through their teeth, they just don't want to spend the money to fix their mistakes, and rather lie then to admit fault.

And people wonder why I don't trust companies simply at face value. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom