What's new

VI-JOHN Shaving Cream Classic (with Bacti-Guard) and Tea Tree Oil

487A339F-AE43-4C43-9BFB-DCB9665F38C0.jpeg
9BB6CC4F-7785-474B-ABAB-9C739ECB3088.jpeg
I was in India about a year ago and during my trip, I spend a little time looking for shaving products. I went into three stores and I was looking for a Godrej puck (which I couldn't find). In fact, one gentleman said "nobody wants those anymore." At the same shop, he suggested I get VI John, he said that was the best.

According to the tube, it is "the world's number one selling shaving cream." Moreover, "the tea tree oil is the essential oil from a plant family native to Australia. It's leaves and bark are rich in essential oil that has powerful germicidal properties. It naturally banishes or destroys bacteria fungi and viruses." Additionally, the tube professes the following "tea tree oil benefits for skin"
  • It treats and heals abscesses, acne, blisters, burns, sores, insect bites, oily skin, rashes, spots, warts and wounds.
  • Removes ugly marks by cuts and bruises.
  • Brings a healthy glow to skin
  • Keeps skin softer and smoother.
Lastly, the package professes "regular shaving with Vi-John Anti Bacterial Shaving Cream leaves your skin more healthy, spotless and soft."

The ingredients are as follows:

Aqua, glycerin, stearic acid, potassium hydroxide, coconut acid, sodium hydroxide, perfume, sodium borate, allantoin, lanolin, vitamin E and tea tree oil

I'm putting forth my initial thoughts after one shave with a badger brush (honestly, I've used this before, but it doesn't come out often, so its like a new review) using a straight razor (note, this is my 7th shave with a straight)

The Scent
I don't have any comments from the manufacture on the scent notes. I'd describe it this way: It is a light, perfume smell, that reminds me of being in India. It is very pleasant and not overpowering at all. It is not a masculine scent, and can mix well with any aftershave. . On a scale from 1 to 5, I'd rate it a 3 in strength after it was lathered.

The Lather
I put about an almond size of this cream onto my soaked brush which I gave three hard shakes and went to work face lathering. It whips up very easily. I added some water to make it more slick, because I wanted a slicker soap because of the straight razor.

The lather was thick and provide plenty of cushion. I've used slicker soaps, and perhaps I could get this slicker with more water, but it was slick enough to give me a good shave, and had good enough residual slickness for touch ups with a straight.

Today's shave was a three-pass shave, but I produced enough lather for maybe 4 or 5 passes easily. The lather is shiny and peaks easily.

The Performance
Shaving performance is good and given its price in India, at under $1USD, it may be one of the best bargains around. While it is not top shelf like Wholly Kaw donkey milk, Haslinger and Phoenix and Beau, it provide me with a really nice shave. What's more is that I didn't apply a balm after my shave today (I used alum, witch hazel and Lucky Tiger) and my skin feels great and moisturized post shave. I also don't have any irritation from this cream ever (I can't use Arko, because it burns my skin). As I mentioned earlier, he lather was thick, great cushion and very good residual slickness for touch-ups. My shave with good with no tugging of the razor. Lastly, my skin looks and feels great after the shave. Maybe the Tea Tree Oil really works

Overall Impressions
If you are in India, get this. It is good and cheap. and if you are looking for a unique alternative cream that won't break the bank and is a good daily driver, this is it.

For me , yes...Although Lord Emofresh and the other Egyptian cream INGRAM are both heavier in the menthol punch category...
I’ve got to get my hands on some Ingram. I can get it locally, but I know what it costs in the UK and elsewhere and I can’t pay that king of markup.

How do all of the above compare to proraso green?

I’ve got to get my hands on some Ingram. I can get it locally, but I know what it costs in the UK and elsewhere and I can’t pay that king of markup.

How do all of the above compare to proraso green?
I think the Emofresh is at least equal to Proraso in the cooling effect, maybe even more..The UK Ingram cream is a different formula...

I lived in Chennai for a few years. Decent selection of creams and one of the few places you’ll find the elusive Godrej soap. Were u able to get one?

Try Indian Gillette Shaving Cream and Vicco Turmeric Shaving Cream. Absolute best face cushion and post shave feel. Both are under $1.

VI-John is a good shaving cream in its price range. Glide this cream better than the ARKO creams. The smell is similar to the scent of ammonia, but weaker. Foam is whipped with any shaving brush.

Vi John is apparently the preferred brand by Indian barbers. It has a very nice scent and the lather as well as the skincare are excellent. The tea tree oil in it does leave a very clean, soothing feeling.

Rick

Top Bottom