What's new

vetiver

Thanks for the clarification. My response was misleading.

You mentioned it before, but making a citrus scent skin safe is a big one to me. Real lemon, but even more so, lime scents, irritate my skin--a lot. Real bay rum has similar mal effects. I wonder if P-20 would help with that.

Well, unless it's oil made from the peels, it's not going to be very skin safe and it's a photosensitivity hazard. So this is one way that synthetics are superior. They also tend to last longer in terms of silage. (real orange peel oil has a lifespan that lasts in minutes on the skin).

I think that's one reason natural neroli is good as a citrus fragrance, it's not actually made from the fruit oil of the orange, so it's skin safe in appropriate dilutions.

I suppose bay rum has some healing effects, too. If I could get over the irritation with P-20, maybe those good properties would come through.

Real bay is medicinal but I wouldn't count on something like Clubman to do that as its mostly synthetic (Superior 70, Masters, and Gabel to my knowledge contain real bay oil). Part of the way it works is by increasing blood flow, which is why it makes a good hair tonic . But it could also be perceived as irritating.

I would not count on P-20 making bay or clove less irritating, in fact it might make them worse in sufficient quantities (by fixing the irritants to the skin). It's effect in aftershaves is due to the effect on the alcohol itself.

One thing I find that helps is applying aftershave to damp skin. It helps the aftershave spread around more and not be so concentrated.

I had assumed the caustic effect of citrus on my skin was from oils extracted from the citrus skin. (More lime than lemon, and I do not know that I get any reaction from orange, much less neroli. Neroli is wonderful!)

I meant real bay rum, like Superior 70, in particular. I find the Clubman Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum really harsh. I do not know whether from anything synthetic--I will take your word for it. I had assumed real clove and cinnamon. Does not smell like real bay rum to me and really burns.

<Part of the way it works is by increasing blood flow, which is why it makes a good hair tonic . But it could also be perceived as irritating.>

The Superior 70 makes my face bright red these days and my face stays that way for a long time. I used to use it a lot, way back when, and I had not remembered it doing that, at least not to nearly the same effect. Interesting to know. Thanks.

Clubman Bay Rum is largely or completely synthetic.

My guess is that you are reacting to the eugenol in natural or synthetic bay rum. If you have sensitive skin, that's a real possibility. The EU actually wants to restrict the use of eugenol in cosmetics because it can be irritating. There are also synthetic ingredients that can be irritating to some people.

Clubman Bay Rum is largely or completely synthetic.

My guess is that you are reacting to the eugenol in natural or synthetic bay rum. If you have sensitive skin, that's a real possibility. The EU actually wants to restrict the use of eugenol in cosmetics because it can be irritating. There are also synthetic ingredients that can be irritating to some people.
Makes sense. Interesting that bay laurel and pimenta racemosa both have eugenol. If bay rum it supposed to increase blood flow, it sure works for me. Not really irritating in terms of burning or hurting though. I seem to have various reactions to all sorts of topical ingredients, and it is not infrequent that I do not have a reaction at first, but frequent use will cause a reaction.

Last edited:
Makes sense. Interesting that bay laurel and pimenta racemosa both have eugenol. If bay rum it supposed to increase blood flow, it sure works for me. Not really irritating in terms of burning or hurting though. I seem to have various reactions to all sorts of topical ingredients, and it is not infrequent that I do not have a reaction at first, but frequent use will cause a reaction.

In the Carribean it's sometimes used as a linament or muscle rub, like Americans would use Ben Gay. Barbers used to use it as a hair tonic for the same reason.

It's not really a fragrance per se, though people have come to appreciate the fragrance.

Also a nice one...

proxy.php

Granted, it's really just vetiver fragrance and nothing else really. At least nothing I was able to detect.

Guerlain in probably the best and not that expensive. Also Commes Des Garcons. If you want to go big, go Frederic Malle Vetiver Extroardinaire.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I am surprised there are so few vetiver based aftershaves and colognes. Is it because vetiver is a more Oriental type fragrance?

I use vetiver oil in an aromatherapy difuser and it's wonderful stuff, very relaxing. It has a nice earthy, clean smell, like you might find in a fine bar of soap. It's inoffensive and I doubt anyone would find it disagreeable.

The only inexpensive cologne I have seen with vetiver is a Spanish cologne from Miami called Kolonia 1800 Vetiver, made by a company named Crusellas. I guess I will have to put that on my "to try" list. I know their regular cologne (Kolonia 1800) resembles Arko in its scent- just an old fashioned citrus cologne.

The Kolonia 1800 Vetiver deCrusellas EdC is now in my regular cologne rotation. Good stuff. :)

Last year, I purchased a bottle of Phoenix Artisan Accouterments, Atomic Age Bay Rum AS. I liked it enough to give their Vetiver Planet a try.
First, a word about the Atomic Age Bay Rum; it doesn't smell anything like a typical bay rum... instead it burns like a blow torch and smells like turpentine!!! I LOVE IT!!! LOL!!!
Vetiver Planet was my first vetiver purchase of any kind so, I have nothing to compare it to. It has a refreshing sting when first applied and a very potent scent that begins fading in a few hours however, it can still be detected at the end of the day. It took a few applications before I started to like it but now, it's in regular rotation. Based on my experience with Atomic Bay Rum, I'm assuming that Vetiver Planet is not a typical vetiver AS. Nevertheless... I give it two thumbs up!

Last edited:
Try the economical Malizia Uomo Vetyver.
Oh, yet yes. I bought the "body spray" to use as a deodorant when I was in Italy. Very nice inexpensive vetiver.

The toned down Axe Vetyver that was out for a while--I think it was called "Proximity" or something like that, was not bad either. Judging by the prices folks it for it on eBay these days, it is a cult item. One of the few deodorants I do not get a skin reaction to.

Proraso's single blade line - Cypress & Vetyver - is awesome !! I tried samples of the shave cream and after-balm, liked them so much I went and bought the fullsize cologne. I would've bought the balm too but it seems hard to find all of a sudden, out of stock most places i've looked.

proxy.php

Smelled this one at the department store today. Very refined. Tough to say, but it might be the nicest vetiver I’ve smelled.

proxy.php

Smelled this one at the department store today. Very refined. Tough to say, but it might be the nicest vetiver I’ve smelled.
I’d didn’t think TDH could be improved, but I agree...that crisp, spicy snap of the vetiver in the background really takes it to a different level.

Top Bottom