What's new

Vermio Hone

$uploadfromtaptalk1452068604841.jpg

$uploadfromtaptalk1452068628234.jpg

$uploadfromtaptalk1452068644096.jpg

$uploadfromtaptalk1452068661693.jpg

$uploadfromtaptalk1452068675370.jpg

Vermio hone of mine.
Interesting stone that polishes very well.

The edge is smooth on my face so that is a plus.
It also cuts whiskers very well.cheers.

I have one of these - it's the stone in the perplexing slate thread I posted while back. I'm still messing about with it, but I'm jsut about done with it.
I'll probably be PIFing it shortly afterwards.

I think Sebastion did a vid clip on this stone.
There's at least one other clip on YT showing it off also.

I got a Vermio in a trade, one rockhound to another, and well... I've decided it's a keeper. Saying "it works" is an understatement, in my humble opinion. LOL

I've also read the perplexing thread and generally agree with what's been said. All I can say is, I haven't tried that many great rocks in my life to be able to compare the edges, but this thing gives me an edge at HHT5 and a very smooth shave. That's what I'm after, so I'm very happy.

I have a "problem" using soap on it. I tried lather and the surface became very glassy and alsmost oily. Watery soap (you know, large bubbles) works and doesn't seem to create much of this effect. Of course, later when I lapped the stone it returned to its natural look again. The "problem" I find with this is, is that slurry becomes very hard to raise when the surface is glassed like that. It's not a huge issue, since lapping takes care of it.

Interestingly, I noticed the same white rings when I let the water dry on it.. didn't pay much attention to them, but now I'm curious. Perhaps a sample of this should be taken into a lab. I might look into that.

Cheers!

"There will, most likely, not be more of them to be had"

And now it's cut nice and has a full label done up? Interesting.

From a farmers field to: Quarried from mountain Vermio in the Eordaean region of southern Macedonia, Greece

Last edited:
I'm not ranking it that high on the list of things available, but I agree - it does work.
Strange stone in a few ways - I don't find using slurry to help much. I had thought that the edge would improve with further polishing but all it did was slow down alot. Oh well.

Smooth edges, yes. Super keen, no. Slow. Nice, but not I'm jumping up/down great.

I just got one of these, and was wondering if anybody else had any thoughts about them and how they like to use them...?

I don't see them talked about much here, presumably because they're pretty rare and haven't been available for a few years (though I have my sources! ;)). A slightly peculiar stone with singular feedback, and petrologically speaking I wouldn't really know what to call it. If it's a slate it's not very slate-y at all.

But have used a couple of times so far with Mikawa slurry to start, and got some very nice shaves off it. Very smooth indeed, and happily sharp enough for me.

Lot of runway on it too; at about 200 x 70 this is a bit bigger than the versions that were available back in the day I believe, though it is certainly the same stone that Griffiths sold. I received it cut but not finished, so I had to lap. I assume this is the size the pieces were originally before a part was cut from the end for a rubbing stone, which mine doesn't have unless I want to cut a bit off, though I don't think I do... (?)

IMG-8831.jpg

IMG-8834.jpg

Top Bottom