What's new

Veritas green honing compound

I am venturing down the pasted strop rabbit hole. With that journey comes questions.
My initial purchase was a rather inexpensive two sided affair, one side is rough out the consistency of a shag rug. The flip is plain smooth leather. Two sticks of very waxy, crayon like compound came with it. One each green and white.
I loaded the green on the rough out, white on the smooth. No idea what the grit (microns) are. Seems to work ok on knives; not putting a razor on it though. Just seems kind of “cobby” for that.
I have another paddle strop on the way, preloaded with Veritas green compound. Is Veritas a quality product? I’m told it’s 0.5 micron. Are all green (and white) honing compounds the same grit?
I am sure the newer strop will be a better quality, it’s being made by Ryan Grizzle of custom holster fame. This is the one I will (hopefully) use for razors.
Anything I need to know?

I don't.use pastes for razors. But I do for.knives. what I find that works great is a balsa block from hobby lobby. 3x3x12 inches long. Put whatever you have on the balsa and if you decide you want to try something else just sand that side till you hit clean bare wood and try something else. The white compound is generally coarser than the green. Although cromox is made in many different.micron particles. What I find for.knives when I feel like putting a really fine edge is 6 micron diamond paste followed by 1 micron cbn spray. Wicked sharp edge and the flat surface doesn't round the edge off. You can also glue strips of leather on any side of the block as well. It's cheap and one block has 4 different compounds on it.

I’ve been finishing on paste for a few months now. So many things competing for my time (wife, children, work, pets...).
I use the TI white paste for phase-1 and a CrOx crayon for phase-2 for touchups. I use both abrasives applied sparingly on poplar. Balsa works too but any soft wood is viable.

Top Bottom