What's new

Vegan strop

Hello everyone,

Here goes my first post.

I have been wet shaving DE for a few years and I have decided to take the plunge into straight razor shaving! Woohoo!

I am looking for a strop, and preferably one that is not made with animal products. Suggestions would be appreciated, or if someone wants to get rid of an old one, please pm me.

I am also open to DIY projects! I have heard balsa wood, newspaper or a firehose might work.

Also, hanging strop or board and why?

Thanking you all in advance.

Cheers

Sent from my LM-Q910 using Tapatalk

Cow & horse hide strops contain very fine abrasive silicates from the grass they eat. I think the abrasive grade is somewhere up around 60k? That's *very* fine. Most honing set-ups stop at 20k and under.

The finest lapping film & diamond/CBN pastes might have similar abrasive properties. Eg 0.03u lapping film. Or 0.1 diamond/CBN paste. It's hard to know anything for sure when you get to ultra-fine grits though.

Some time on a linen or canvas strop might help to pull a bent edge back into alignment. You may want to include that in the stropping routine.

I think you'll probably have to do some experimenting...

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Welcome to the gentlemanly art of SR shaving.

Knowing your location would help. @Tony Miller makes and sells a good vegan strop.

As for hanging or board strop, that is a personal preference. Most seem to prefer hanging, as I do. My reasons being that I prefer the normally extra length, it's easily stored (just hangs on the bathroom door knob) and I feel it gives me a better edge.

I also recommend that you get two strops (or at least a spare "leather" replacement). Tony can also help you with that so you save on shipping. As someone new to SR shaving, you WILL cut up your first strop while learning.

Last edited:
Etsy shop TomoNagura sells a pleather strop. It's called pleathasaurus Rex, I haven't tried it personally but all other strops I have tried from the shop have been high quality.

Welcome to the gentlemanly art of SR shaving.

Knowing your location would help. @Tony Miller makes and sells a good vegan strop.

As for hanging or board strop, that is a personal preference. Most seem to prefer hanging, as I do. My reasons being that I prefer the normally extra length, it's easily stored (just hangs on the bathroom door knob) and I feel it gives me a better edge.

I also recommend that you get two strops (or at least a spare "leather" replacement). Tony can also help you with that so you save on shipping. As someone new to SR shaving, you WILL cut up your first strop while learning.
Thank you very much.
I am in Montreal Canada. I have already been in contact with Tony, the shipping is a killer. I'm looking for something else to practice on while I see if straight razor shaving doesn't kill me before I learn to do it properly [emoji2957].

I want to make sure that I stick with it before investing too much.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thank you very much.
I am in Montreal Canada. I have already been in contact with Tony, the shipping is a killer. I'm looking for something else to practice on while I see if straight razor shaving doesn't kill me before I learn to do it properly [emoji2957].

I want to make sure that I stick with it before investing too much.

Here is a good beginner's strop that should be within your budget. I have been happily using one of these for months.

It is reviewed here:

Portland Razor Co makes one:

No experience with it, but these guys know their straights so I'd feel comfortable buying it were I in the market.

M

member 119848

Great thread! That´s exsactly the subject I need to figure out before buying my first straight razor.
I am thinking of experimenting with cork (glued on a board).

Top Bottom