What's new

Van Der Hagen

I've seen several Van Der Hagen soaps sold in stores. I think there is a deluxe, a luxury, scented, unscented....

what's the lowdown on Van Der Hagen? Is there one worth trying?

I've seen several Van Der Hagen soaps sold in stores. I think there is a deluxe, a luxury, scented, unscented....

I use the luxury. Despite it's name, it doesn't have the most luxurious performance, lather or scent out there. But it's good enough in all departments, and it works.

I think VDH is good as a "gateway drug" for someone who is considering traditional wetshaving. I believe they have a resonably priced set that includes a mug, brush, and soap. They sometime pop up at TJ Maxx or Marshall's for about 50% off.

I wouldn't expect an experienced wetshaver to be impressed with the scent or performance. Like @mozartman said, it works. But that's about it.

I use the deluxe every so often and have to agree with above posts. It works well, but isn't great. It's the only thing available locally.

I have a few pucks of VDH in the den. I find it to be a good soap that does the job just fine. For the price, you can’t beat it. My opinion is that it’s on par with Proraso.

I think VDH is good as a "gateway drug" for someone who is considering traditional wetshaving. I believe they have a resonably priced set that includes a mug, brush, and soap. They sometime pop up at TJ Maxx or Marshall's for about 50% off.

I wouldn't expect an experienced wetshaver to be impressed with the scent or performance. Like @mozartman said, it works. But that's about it.

+1! Fine summary! VDH is a good ‘value’ soap, especially if you get it at 50% off! :straight: :straight:

+1! Fine summary! VDH is a good ‘value’ soap, especially if you get it at 50% off! :straight: :straight:
Ironically, I often can get VDH at 33 percent off, if not more. Just what I need -- a deep discount on a product that costs pocket change to begin with. :facep:

This was my first soap apart from the Williams mug Soap. I’ve had good results if I melt VDH into a wider bowl so it’s easier to load the brush.

For some reason, I find the VDH Deluxe to be better than the more expensive Luxury.

I started wet shaving by using VDH soap. The soap is a gateway soap. It is usable and I used all of my puck. I continue to use the boar brush I got from VHD.
I only got a VDH boar brush recently, when I happened to see it on sale for $6 as I walked down the aisle. Stiff as a board at first, it softened with use, and is now OK.

For those who live in the southeast US, Ingles (a grocery chain) has the 2.5 oz VDH Deluxe with Aloe Vera and Shea Butter on sale right now for ninety-eight cents!

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you

Ha! Well said.

It appears that Van Der Hagen and Col Conk are made in the same factory. I have no idea if there is common ownership, but the two have nearly the same if not the same base. Both perform about the same. I'll take any of them over Williams anytime. When I rotate one of them into my routine I'm always more than satisfied. I wish I could say that I'm as consistently pleased with Mitchell's Wool Fat. When the Fat is working well it's wonderful. When it isn't I wish I would have reached for Van Der Hagen or Col Conk.

Top Bottom